• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loose hinges on folding compact FIX (1 Viewer)

CliveP

Ok I think I've got potential a fix for this. No gurantees of course but...

If you do have a loose hinge dual hinge folder compact you might like to try this simple fix. I do it when the hinges on my Pentax 8x20 loosen some but I've noticed this effect with folding monoculars and some other compacts.

Simply hold the bin as normal and work the hinges quite frantically a bit like flapping (well it is birding related) the binocular wings and hey presto you should feel the hinges tightening. If not then maybe you need to sort out your flapping 8-P

I used to get a screwdriver and tighten the hinges but with this I now don't need to and never need to worry about them loosening as I know to just do this.

Best of luck

Interesting solution.

I've speculated that when mine become loose that I would attempt to insert one C-clip on each side. But, there's nothing to lock it in place. Then I considered cutting a small plastic washer. It should flex enough to be inserted and then return to original shape more or less.

Interesting solution.

I've speculated that when mine become loose that I would attempt to insert one C-clip on each side. But, there's nothing to lock it in place. Then I considered cutting a small plastic washer. It should flex enough to be inserted and then return to original shape more or less.

Most of those have a small tensioning screw under one end of the hinge. However, on most there is a small ball bearing to keep the collimation on tract. On your instrument, I have no idea which end is to be adjusted. I am sure of three things: 1) the ball bearing falls out easily, 2) it is very hard to find on a carpet, and 3) it can bounce like Mr. Fantastic on a hard wood floor. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back