• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact comparisons: Low end vs high end (1 Viewer)

Looking at this range, I notice that Nikon's Trailblazer ATB 8x25 (even cheaper at $87) claims an 8.2° FOV. Can that be correct, and how is the quality?
Not comfortable with ~10mm ER, the FOV is correct though. I would think the Prostaff is likely so much more comfortable to use.

My first quality binocular was a Nikon 7x20, bought in late -80s. It was plastic but very sharp, sharper than the Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 7x50 I had.
The same model also was available in 9x25.
Optically these Nikons are definitely not low end compacts.
I found a picture of the 7x20:

Screenshot_20231111_114238_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
I also find the Nikon Travelite 8x25 are truly remarkable (I understand they are called Prostaff ATB 8x25 in some markets). The image is simply on another level compared to the Nikon CF III 7x20. They feel like a contemporary binocular, the colour balance appears neutral, like more true to life (less warm/yellowish), and the level of contrast is simply several steps above, as is the perceived sharpness. Add to this that they are waterproof and come with a nice a grippy rubber armour and this makes for an amazing feel in the hand. Very reassuring, and the image simply performs at a great level for the price. Only caveat is the narrow FOV of 6,5º for a 8x. But then, when going small you probably know there will be compromises. Really very nice.

Interesting stuff. It's these that I think I've seen being issued to the kids at the London Wetland Centre. Great to know they'll be getting what sounds like a very good image. As dwatsonbirder says - who knows how getting a good view of a kingfisher (not that common at the LWC though sadly!), teal or lapwing might change someone's life.

Maybe I ought to have gotten this for my mother instead of the much more expensive Victory 8x25 Pocket ... :unsure:

Yarrellii,
After reading your thread on the early Nikon 7x20, I obtained one in excellent shape. You are absolutely right it is an excellent compact. Too bad Nikon does not offer a premium single hinge compact anymore. The optics are really corrected well for the small aperture. Additionally I procured a Travelite III 7X20, it was a bust (collimation fail) went back. You are right not built nearly as well as the earlier 7X20 shown in the photos.

20231117_181859.jpg20231117_182004.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this most interesting comparison.
My parents had this small Leica. It was the only binocular you would truly always carry with you, just in case, because it actually fit in any jacket pocket. The only smaller one was my uncle's Zeiss Turmon monocular.

What is not appreciated is that though higher volume manufacturing there is less overhead cost per unit and so the company can sell at a lower price and still make an adequate profit. There is also value in brand loyalty and getting a newbie to buy a particular brand of binocular. The Nikon Monarch 5 are a case in point where the provide excellent optics at very affordable prices in terms of their small and normal size binoculars.

No idea about old binoculars but when I compared the small Leica and Zeiss and Swarovski binocular in recent years the ones I like the most were the Swarovski ones in a 10x25 form. Compact enough to fit in jacket pocket or in the water bottle pouch on a fanny pack or backpack.

Yarrellii,
After reading your thread on the early Nikon 7x20, I obtained one in excellent shape. You are absolutely right it is an excellent compact. Too bad Nikon does not offer a premium single hinge compact anymore. The optics are really corrected well for the small aperture.
This is something that also puzzles me, I wonder if it has more to do with a sales strategy than technical feasibility. If such a nice optic was made 40 years ago (although I have the impression that it was not their entry level, but a device perceived as a quality instrument), one just has to imagine what would Nikon be able to offer (with their large scale production figures) on a similar contemporary device. It would seem that brands have "condemned" the small reverse Porro format to their low-end ranges you can find in most catalogues, from Opticron to Vortex. However, if I remember correctly, the 7x26 B&L/Bushnell Elite Custom was highly regarded, and was positioned and priced as a small premium bino. Given the apparent success of the 7x21 Curio from Swarovski, maybe a very bold (although risky) movement from Nikon could be to resurrect their yesteryear love affair with 7x20 and give us an ultra light, ultra compact 7x20 reverse porro with updated coatings on the medium-upper level. Somehow a premium version of the 8x25 Travelite EX, but in 7x20. A small reverse porro, like a 7x20 HG-P, or maybe better yet a 7x20 M7 (to make it more affordable): with a very lightweight quality plastic body and the lovely level of performance of a M7 8x30, but at around 200 g / 7 oz... and big eyecups, and regular focus wheel, like the Nikon CF III 7x20. Make it 2,5 - 3 times more expensive than the Travelite EX 8x25, at around 300 - 350 € (like the prices you see for the Bushnell 7x26 Elite)... and it could probably give the Curio a run for its money.

(One of the best things about daydreaming is that it's free :D)

This is something that also puzzles me, I wonder if it has more to do with a sales strategy than technical feasibility. If such a nice optic was made 40 years ago (although I have the impression that it was not their entry level, but a device perceived as a quality instrument), one just has to imagine what would Nikon be able to offer (with their large scale production figures) on a similar contemporary device. It would seem that brands have "condemned" the small reverse Porro format to their low-end ranges you can find in most catalogues, from Opticron to Vortex. However, if I remember correctly, the 7x26 B&L/Bushnell Elite Custom was highly regarded, and was positioned and priced as a small premium bino. Given the apparent success of the 7x21 Curio from Swarovski, maybe a very bold (although risky) movement from Nikon could be to resurrect their yesteryear love affair with 7x20 and give us an ultra light, ultra compact 7x20 reverse porro with updated coatings on the medium-upper level. Somehow a premium version of the 8x25 Travelite EX, but in 7x20. A small reverse porro, like a 7x20 HG-P, or maybe better yet a 7x20 M7 (to make it more affordable): with a very lightweight quality plastic body and the lovely level of performance of a M7 8x30, but at around 200 g / 7 oz... and big eyecups, and regular focus wheel, like the Nikon CF III 7x20. Make it 2,5 - 3 times more expensive than the Travelite EX 8x25, at around 300 - 350 € (like the prices you see for the Bushnell 7x26 Elite)... and it could probably give the Curio a run for its money.

(One of the best things about daydreaming is that it's free :D)

I like the idea. When it comes to small size I find the wider shape of porro binoculars being more comfortable in the hand. A high grade reverse porro 7x20 with more advanced long eye relief eyepieces would be nice! And with a rubber surface for better grip.

It would seem that brands have "condemned" the small reverse Porro format to their low-end ranges you can find in most catalogues, from Opticron to Vortex. However, if I remember correctly, the 7x26 B&L/Bushnell Elite Custom was highly regarded, and was positioned and priced as a small premium bino.
I had the Bushnell Elite Custom Compact 7x26 and wish I had kept it . Paid roughly $300 CAD for it . When it was discontinued I noticed prices for remaining stock at most dealers went up by as much as 50% . Maybe Bushnell will come out with another Custom Compact in the future that's better than the previous one .. It was the only compact bin that I got along with . I would take the Bushnell Custom 7x26 over the Leica Ultravid 8x20 any day of the week . The Leica was way too uncomfortable/fiddly for me .The Leica had better glass but that's no good if it's hard to use .

Attachments

• Ultravid 8x20 .JPG
    Ultravid 8x20 .JPG
    287 KB · Views: 35
  • Elite 7x26 .JPG
    Elite 7x26 .JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 35
Has anyone ever reviewed the Opticron 8x24? https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-prod...ler-bga-compact-binoculars/traveller-bga-8x24 I would be seriously interested to hear as it is from their top spec range and comes with a THIRTY YEAR warranty!
Funny you brought this up. I had these in my hands last month at B&H , and was extremely impressed with the quality of these little binos. I didn’t spend a lot of time with them , this was in the store fast and first impression, not a review. First, these are the smallest 24/25’s I’ve ever seen, they’re literally the same size as the 8x20 Leica Trinovid that I also tried out, again. When I say I was impressed with the quality I’m speaking more of the optics and the tool. The build feel , fit and finish is not on the Leica level, it’s more typical Opticron build (good not great) but the optics were excellent, they’re sharp, snapped into focus as good as the Trinivid, we’re brighter and CA was about the same as the Trinovid but I didn’t really put that to a hard test.

The focuser was buttery smooth and the surprise was the eye box comfort, I don’t seem to get along with pockets, but this was no problem. Even though they’re both listed at about 14 mm of eye relief, the Opticron was much easier to get eye position lined up. And here’s the kicker, they’re made in Japan (No guilt) It’s not as nice as the Leica in fit and finish but at just over half the price of the Trinovid this might be a no brainer if you just want a nock around thrown in pocket, pocket optic. I will say the Ultravid did impress more but that’s another conversation and it’s three time the price.

I might be asking Santa for one.

I hope that helped.

Paul

Sounds great - I haven't seen one in the flesh. Presume it has screw out eye cups? I have a fifteen year old Opticron 10x25 Aspheric. They were made before the waterproof/nitrogen purge feature and with soft rubber eyecups ie not screw out. The focus knob on that is still beautifully light and buttery smooth as well. I was hoping the latest version would be as light and smooth too so I ordered one. But it felt like almost industrial rubber armouring and the focussing was very heavy. So I returned it.

I bought the Zeiss Terra 10x25 which I like but the focussing is heavy and feels crude in comparison with that old Opticron. I also bought, for £150, the Viking 10x25 Kestrel: Viking 10x25 Kestrel | Viking Optical Centres I must say these are very good. The image is close to that of the Zeiss with a tiny amount of pincushion distortion - barely noticeable. They feel like an extremely well made, precision instrument; unlike the plasticky Zeiss which cost twice as much! The return dates for both have now passed as I'm still trying to make up my mind which to keep. Very annoyingly; when I went to register the Zeiss online they stated I could have had an extra year warranty if I'd registered them within one month of purchase... Zeiss do not do themselves any favours with this kind of practice. The Vikings have a FIVE year warranty and no penalty for not registering online without delay.

I had the Bushnell Elite Custom Compact 7x26 and wish I had kept it . Paid roughly $300 CAD for it . When it was discontinued I noticed prices for remaining stock at most dealers went up by as much as 50% . Maybe Bushnell will come out with another Custom Compact in the future that's better than the previous one .. It was the only compact bin that I got along with . I would take the Bushnell Custom 7x26 over the Leica Ultravid 8x20 any day of the week . The Leica was way too uncomfortable/fiddly for me .The Leica had better glass but that's no good if it's hard to use .
The Leica 8x20 is a fiddly small and awkward binocular....but with very good optics.

I had one.... then sold it, as it was 'hard work'... bought an 'easier' but slightly bigger pair..... which nearly fitted in my pocket....but not quite.... therefore left it at home even though it was an easier and brighter optic.
Sold that (8x25CL) and have gone back to the little awkward Ultravid. NO REGRETS at all.
Because that tiny 8x20 Ultravid not only goes in every pocket you have, but can nearly be lost in a pocket!!
They are with me always, and that size and fiddly nature is the compromise I am happy to accept.
That 7x26..... well you may just as well get an 8x32 and done with it.

I think these 'pocket' binos should be just that.... almost an emergency bino... for sure I wouldn't want it as my only bin....
But Leica have nailed that pocketable status..... What a little engineering marvel it is !!

There is always a discussion on here about how awkward they are to use.... well... what would you expect.
I for one, am glad Leica make them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back