• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To IS or not. (1 Viewer)

stevo

Hi all

I`m thinking of getting the Canon EF 300mm F4L the question is which one the IS version or the non IS one?I say this because i`ve heard the IS one isn`t quite so sharp or contrasty as the non IS due to more elements.I use a tripod most of the time anyway both these lenses are available 2nd hand for a good price I just don`t want to splash the cash & regret it.

Steve.

Steve

Yes I would agree the non-IS is a tad sharper and possible focuses a bit quicker.

I had one for 6 months, a great lens until I droped it a few feet off the tripod. No external damage but the glass AF grating broke. The replacement AF units are impossible to get in Europe and Canon no longer supply. So the lens is a write off and I had no insurance.

Hence I replaced with an IS version. There are a few times I wish I had the non-IS version but I have started to make use of the IS lately. I've manage to get some decent shots at 1/100 sec. However I find that IS is not bullet proof and does not guarantee good results at these speeds.

stevo said:
Hi all

I`m thinking of getting the Canon EF 300mm F4L the question is which one the IS version or the non IS one?I say this because i`ve heard the IS one isn`t quite so sharp or contrasty as the non IS due to more elements.I use a tripod most of the time anyway both these lenses are available 2nd hand for a good price I just don`t want to splash the cash & regret it.

Steve.

If you will be doing mostly (almost entirely) tripod mounted shots, there is no reason to even consider the IS version. But I do highly recommend IS on any lens if you will be handholding. Any possible trade-off (real or imagined) in sharpness or contrast is far outweighed by the benefits of IS. If you have never used a lens with IS, rent or borrow any model and try it with the IS on and with it off. You will be convinced.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back