• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD 8x42 with XD real compared Zeiss Conquest HD and Nikon Monarch 7 (1 Viewer)

This is an old thread that I am reviving and I'm also a new birdforum member so this is actually my first post - but it seems like a good place to start. I recently (a week ago) bought a very lightly-used (almost new) Kowa BD XD 8x42 - and my purchase was, in part, influenced by alexbino's stellar and glowing reviews and comments, some years ago (I'm writing this in 2019) about these binoculars.

Everyone has a different story as to what they like or want or need in binocs; mine starts years ago. I've almost always been nearsighted and worn glasses for distance viewing - and nearly 2 decades ago, I got frustrated when going on bird and nature walks, and trying to track birds with my glasses on, before trying (and usually failing) to view the same flying critters through binocs. Taking the glasses off and trying to use binoculars with my naked eye didn't work much better either. Then, somehow, I found out about a pair of binoculars made by Bushnell - designed for eyeglasses wearers. This must have been in the early 90's. Though I didn't realize it at the time, Bushnell had bought Jason optics and was using-incorporating some of their technology in its models - including the so-called GlassesOn binoculars - which had flat 'eyeglass guard' eyepieces designed for viewing through glasses. They were a revelation, for me at least. The ones I bought - and have owned and used since - were on the larger (semi-chunky) side: 10x50's with what I later found was a porro focusing mechanism. But damn they actually worked and for a near-sighted glasses wearer, they made birding way more fun than it had ever been.

But, damn, did I mention....they were rather large.....and heavy?

So much so that they were never the easiest set of binoculars to take along on hikes or walks or trips. Not lightweight (at all), not semi-pocketable, and pretty much not-very-useful for non-eyeglasses wearers. But my old (armored, heavy as a tank, made in Japan) Bushnells always worked and were cool. And....did I mention....they always were (and still are) on the clunky and heavy side?

Fast forward twenty odd years. A few weeks ago, I was visiting an old friend and an outrageously hardcore and oh-so-damned-wonderfully-knowledgeable-about-all-things-bird birder - on the Oregon coast. For several days we went for walks and he was kind enough to loan me some of his binoculars. Of the modern 8x42 and 8x32 varieties. Some fine glass, too, a Svarovski and a Leitz Trinovid, among others. But it wasn't just the sharpness that was fun - it was the combination of relatively light weight (compared to my GlassesOn 10x50 Bushnells) and semi-portability - which I found myself appreciating - and enjoying - the most. And the concept of eyeglass relief - moveable eyecups which can be adjusted for glasses wearers - was rather a revelation. Maybe there might be hope for me after all?

I decided it was time to upgrade my ancient, venerable and beautifully built (did I mention, they were and are heavy as a tank - and just as solid?) Bushnell's - to something a little lighter. No, actually, to something a lot lighter - and easier to carry around with me, all the time. But I couldn't afford german (or Swedish) glass. (Incidentally, I am a sometimes photographer, who started many years ago, shooting analog film on very old Leicas and, though it may seem like heresy to some, the optics and glass on the modern Pentaxes and Sony's I often shoot with are, sorry to say, truly every bit as fine as the Leitz and Zeiss optics on the old Leica's and Contaxes I once shot with. So....I was and am already a fan of fine, modern, non-German glass.) But I couldn't really afford to splurge and buy the best-of-the best. Nor could I quite make up my mind between the 8x32's and the 8x42's. Both were rather cool though the more compact size of a good 8x32 was really attractive - and conversely the slightly larger (to me at least) images of an 8x42 were....even more pleasing. So--

So I did my homework and read a bunch of binocular posts here on birdforum. And came to the conclusion that the best new portable upgrade for me, to my ancient gigantic Bushnells, would be a Sightron Blue Sky. I ordered one. But, then....still reading other birdnet threads, I ran across alexbino's reviews of the Kowa BD XD 8x42 (not the 2nd generation II version, but the version which I think was released in or around 2014). Which one or two other quite knowledge birders here raved about. But the part which I think appealed to me most is or was the combination of stellar optical quality...with a relatively small size, and weight. Kowa's are pricier than Sightrons, as everyone knows. But I stumbled across what seemed like a good-ish deal on a very lightly used pair....so I bought them.

Both binoculars arrived in the mail on the same day. I tried them both out. And, the Sightrons were rather nice. Very nice, actually. But....(drumroll) for me at least, the Kowa's were (and are) in not only a different league but possibly a different universe. They are bar none the nicest binoculars I think I have ever (to date) used or handled. (Don't forget, I'm a binoc newb and an eccentric to boot, so take this with a grain of salt.) To my ignorant way of seeing the world and handling them, they felt very very close to my hardcore birder friend's Svarovski's. But the best part is or was...they were barely bigger (and not that much heavier) than the Sightrons. So - to make a long story short - the Sightrons went back, unused (to the nice and reputable Optics company I purchased them from) - and the Kowa's have stayed.

I still like my heavy-as-a-tank ancient Bushnells, I'll confess. In a post-Apocalyptic Zombie attack, they are solid enough to be used as a weapon I think. But the Kowa's are....my new 'daily drivers' - they are clear and brilliant and so 'fun' to use that...they have made me start looking at things (not just of the flying variety) and birding again...with a joyful vengeance (maybe not the right word) I haven't felt for ages.

That's my initial two cents on them and I admittedly am one of the more technically ignorant users ever. But they are fine, fine optical instruments in my admittedly prejudiced opinion - and if alexbino is anywhere around, he gets my thanks: you were right about them, Alex. Muchas gracias and merci beacoup. They are great bins.

P.S. Pics (of both the Kowas and my ancient Bushnells) to follow...

Last edited:
Miguel,

Thanks for the post, makes more optic fans aware that the Kowa prior to the New BD II are still a good glass. There will always be those who will say that it has too much of this, not enough of that (experts only in their own minds), if they are good for your eyes that is what counts.

Andy W.

Miguel and Dries (posts 41 and 42),

I also have the older Kowa 8 x 42 BDXD Prominar and agree that it is a very fine binocular.

:t:

Cheers.

Hello,
I decided to share some photos from my trip to Italy, Switzerland and the Alps in 2019.
All photos are dated and timed.
One photo has 2xSmartphone Zoom in the Alps (Italy/French 3466 meters or 11371 feet).
One photo has misty haze from the Lake Como (Italy).
One photo is from Rose Garden of Bern (Switzerland).
The maximum altitude for using binoculars is 3466 meters or 11371 feet.
I have been using these Kowa BD XD 8x42 binoculars on trips for 7 years.
Good luck.
Alex

Attachments

• 2019-07-03 14.50.29.jpg
    2019-07-03 14.50.29.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 2019-07-02 16.08.09.jpg
    2019-07-02 16.08.09.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2019-07-02 15.54.43.jpg
    2019-07-02 15.54.43.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 2019-06-29 13.38.12.jpg
    2019-06-29 13.38.12.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 2019-06-29 13.38.03.jpg
    2019-06-29 13.38.03.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back