• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis XD 8x33 or Kowa BD II 8x42 XD? (1 Viewer)

MGT

As a former owner of several mid level (Opticron Imagic 8x42 and Traveller 8x32) and alpha (Kowa Genesis 8x44 and Swarovski Field Pro 8x32) binoculars, I understand the difference between the two. However, if you were given the choice to own a Kowa Genesis XD 8x33 or Kowa BD II 8x42 XD, which one would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

As a former owner of several mid level (Opticron Imagic 8x42 and Traveller 8x32) and alpha (Kowa Genesis 8x44 and Swarovski Field Pro 8x32) binoculars, I understand the difference between the two. However, if you were given the choice to own a Kowa Genesis XD 8x33 or Kowa BD II 8x42 XD, which one would you choose and why?

If I was given the choice I would go with the Genesis because it is overall a higher quality binocular, costing twice as much, and made in Japan.

Of course the Genesis, it’s an upper mid grade optics and MIJ, the BD is mid grade at best , and MIC.

Genesis, no doubt. I got the BDII 6.5x32 and it's a nice little bino but it suffers from some spiking on bright light sources, the light transmission is not that great and it has a less than ideal distortion profile (basically it has almost the same amount of rolling ball and distortion as my Komz 6x24 from 1978). But the main reason I got the 6.5x is that there aren't all that many low magnification wide angle binos on the market today. And it's still overall a nice little instrument with some of the best eyecups I ever saw and decent eye relief.
But for an 8x bino there are just so many other models out there.
I did try the BDII 8x32 however when I bought my 6.5x32 -- and the edge performance was better on the 8x32, it also has a larger AFoV. So for what it is, it's nice. And I'd definitely still prefer to buy a Made in China bino from a reputable brand than an Svbony from an online shop with a less than stellar track record in customer satisfaction.

Genesis, no doubt. I got the BDII 6.5x32 and it's a nice little bino but it suffers from some spiking on bright light sources, the light transmission is not that great and it has a less than ideal distortion profile (basically it has almost the same amount of rolling ball and distortion as my Komz 6x24 from 1978). But the main reason I got the 6.5x is that there aren't all that many low magnification wide angle binos on the market today. And it's still overall a nice little instrument with some of the best eyecups I ever saw and decent eye relief.
But for an 8x bino there are just so many other models out there.
I did try the BDII 8x32 however when I bought my 6.5x32 -- and the edge performance was better on the 8x32, it also has a larger AFoV. So for what it is, it's nice. And I'd definitely still prefer to buy a Made in China bino from a reputable brand than an Svbony from an online shop with a less than stellar track record in customer satisfaction.
I was with you on everything you said until you got to the part where you said , buy from China. I got a big issue with China, as many others do. Mistakes were made by the west a few decades ago and this is the beginning of paying the price. I’d be willing to wager that if we’re (most of us hopefully) still around 5-10 years from now things are going to be real dark. I was a huge buyer of MIC before the pandemic and the global initiative, a nice phrase for , but I’m not going to hijack the thread.

Most of all the MIC entry level glass is quite good (not talking about the garbage) , and the mid level glass is phenomenal at the price point. That’s why just about every manufacturer moved the manufacturing to the mainland. Even Zeiss went to the dark side (Terra). How long before Swarovski and Leica.

I wonder … in about every third post from you, I read that you got a big issue with China / MIC, followed sometimes quickly by a statement that you don‘t want to „hijack the thread“. Why then not leave the China remark away altogether ?
I think it’s more like every sixth or seventh post, but I’m glad your counting. A lot of people here have issues with MIC, why wouldn’t people have an issue with China, where you been. Maybe you just like my posts better. Have I hijacked any posts in the last few months? Did I not voice an opinion then get right back on topic. Why should I leave out an opinion about what binos someone might choose based on where it made? There are many people here calling people idiots for this or that, Some here today just called a whole group of hunters idiots. Can’t I have similar opinions about people who will buy stuff from a communist country that is responsible for some horrendous things, it appears some people are oblivious to the things going on around them. I hope that explains why I don’t leave it out.

@Paultricounty
Read again what I wrote. I didn't write: "Buy from China" I wrote: "I'd definitely still prefer to buy a Made in China bino from a reputable brand than an Svbony from an online shop with a less than stellar track record in customer satisfaction."
So if I would buy a China glass, I'd rather buy it from a reputable brand.
Besides -- you have an Oberwerk SE yourself so why don't you just stop bringing this up every time? We all know that China is the "empire of evil", yet still -- you have China-binos, I have China-binos and many other people too, as you basically cannot find any Made in Japan or even Made in Europe roof binoculars for less than around 850€/$ (there still are a few made in the Philippines or even made in Japan below that, but a "Made in Japan" bino for less than around that price mark is probably a porro and hard to find or one buys used) and not everybody is spending that much.
And I won't even go into the question how much of a "Made in Japan" bino is actually made in Japan.

Last edited:
@Paultricounty
Read again what I wrote. I didn't write: "Buy from China" I wrote: "I'd definitely still prefer to buy a Made in China bino from a reputable brand than an Svbony from an online shop with a less than stellar track record in customer satisfaction."
I wasn’t accusing you of anything, just making a statement if one has a choice , or to hold off until one does.
So if I would buy a China glass, I'd rather buy it from a reputable brand.
Besides -- you have an Oberwerk SE yourself so why don't you just stop bringing this up every time? We all know that China is the "empire of evil", yet still -- you have China-binos,
I have no Oberwerks, I do my best to check labels on everything, and if there are other options other than MIC ,even at substantial costs that’s the way I go. I do not want to send money to the evil Empire, as you describe them, I do like that description though. What would anybody want to, just to save a few bucks?
I have China-binos and many other people too, as you basically cannot find any Made in Japan or even Made in Europe roof binoculars for less than around 850€/$ (there still are a few made in the Philippines or even made in Japan below that, but a "Made in Japan" bino for less than around that price mark is probably a porro and hard to find or one buys used) and not everybody is spending that much.
This is unfortunate but true, not lots of choices under a grand. There is always used, even if they’re used MIC.
And I won't even go into the question how much of a "Made in Japan" bino is actually made in Japan.
That’s true , I wonder that myself. That’s actually an interesting point ,a lot of people right now are walking around with Leica binoculars that say made in Germany, but they were made in Portugal. Not applicable to this conversation but I’d figured I’d throw it out here.
Philipp, I get it, I really do. I know not everybody can spend thousands on toys and buying MIC when we can get inexpensive good quality items that many can afford. But for god sakes sometimes we have to look at the big picture , and consider where our money is being spent and our future.

I haven't bought a Chinese made bino in a while and I have no plan to do so for all the reasons you mention.
But how come you claim, you have no Oberwerk when you declared the Oberwerk SE 8x32 your "go to trunk bino"? You even wrote a review of the Oberwek SE. I don't really get it.
And if we work this through to the very end -- we shouldn't even be buying binos from companies that sell ANY made in China binos, like Nikon or Zeiss. I don't see you throwing your Nikons in the trash because Nikon also offers "Made in China" Aculons and Action EX, etc. Just as Kowa still has made in Japan binos.
Interestingly enough. When I went to buy my Kowa BDII I also had a look through their pocket model, the 8x25 BD DCF which sells for a measly 259€, and it clearly said "Made in Japan" on that model! I was amazed. So my statement that you cannot get a MiJ roof prism model for less than around 800€ is wrong. But I am not sure that the newer versions of the 8x25 BD DCF are still made in Japan as the BDII also was once made in Japan and only later was production moved to China.
I did online research quite a bit to find affordable binos that are still made in Japan or Europe and came up with a list that's longer than one might think but that might be material for a different thread.
I think we hijacked the thread enough by now :D.

I haven't bought a Chinese made bino in a while and I have no plan to do so for all the reasons you mention.
But how come you claim, you have no Oberwerk when you declared the Oberwerk SE 8x32 your "go to trunk bino"? You even wrote a review of the Oberwek SE. I don't really get it.
I explain because I like you😂. They were bought for a client who had asked me what to buy, I recommended others, but he wanted the Oberwerk thinking they were like the Nikons hes heard about. He was going to buy them, so I bought them for him as a gift for a client my convoluted thinking was either way they were going to be bought, so I figured I’d get them for and try them out until he got back from overseas. Mission accomplished.
And if we work this through to the very end -- we shouldn't even be buying binos from companies that sell ANY made in China binos, like Nikon or Zeiss. I don't see you throwing your Nikons in the trash because Nikon also offers "Made in China" Aculons and Action EX, etc.
You make a good point, its called boycotting a company because they do business with entities we don’t like. I’m not there yet, but maybe down the line. I just don’t want to give my money directly to a product made in China. I wouldn’t throw away anything that was already bought, the money was already spent. I have quite a few Chinese products that were bought prior to the evil empire exposing themselves openly. I also don’t like countries that threaten our political representatives if we visit a country they don’t want us to.
Just as Kowa still has made in Japan binos.
Interestingly enough. When I went to buy my Kowa BDII I also had a look through their pocket model, the 8x25 BD DCF which sells for a measly 259€, and it clearly said "Made in Japan" on that model! I was amazed. So my statement that you cannot get a MiJ roof prism model for less than around 800€ is wrong. But I am not sure that the newer versions of the 8x25 BD DCF are still made in Japan as the BDII also was once made in Japan and only later was production moved to China.
There are a lot of binocular models that are still in production that used to be MIJ that are now being MIC.
I did online research quite a bit to find affordable binos that are still made in Japan or Europe and came up with a list that's longer than one might think but that might be material for a different thread.
Really , maybe you can share your research. I’m always looking for good quality reasonable priced optics that are not MIC.
I think we hijacked the thread enough by now :D.
Yeah we did, my apologies to the OP. 🙏🏼✌🏼.

I've just come back from a reputable optics retailer where I had the opportunity to test the Kowa BDII 8x42 XD in inclement weather and contrary to what I was expecting after reading some less than favourable reviews, they not only exceeded my expectations, I preferred them over similarly priced and several more expensive competitors. Had I been able to test the Kowa Genesis 8x33 side by side with the BDII's I would have been able to determine whether to go for a used Genesis at more than double the price or the new BDII's. As things currently stand, I am still undecided.

I've just come back from a reputable optics retailer where I had the opportunity to test the Kowa BDII 8x42 XD in inclement weather and contrary to what I was expecting after reading some less than favourable reviews, they not only exceeded my expectations, I preferred them over similarly priced and several more expensive competitors. Had I been able to test the Kowa Genesis 8x33 side by side with the BDII's I would have been able to determine whether to go for a used Genesis at more than double the price or the new BDII's. As things currently stand, I am still undecided.
I’d still go for the Genesis, I see a huge difference. But if 42’s are being considered, Neil English just did a nice review of the Oberwerk 8x42 ED roofs. He opines they are far better than their price point.

Paul.

Worth noting is that the minimum IPD of the various KOWA lines differ. The eyecups differ. You have to try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back