• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New birder ID help (UK) (1 Viewer)

geosteve

Hello all,

Just started to take up birding in the past few weeks. After an intro to birdwatching course (at the London Wetland Centre) I was wandering around and saw this bird. Here's a pic, making judicious use of cropping. Hopefully someone call tell me what it is.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Attachments

• Wetland Centre 11-010001.jpg
    Wetland Centre 11-010001.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 144
Welcome to Birdforum Steve,

That's a winter plumaged Little Grebe, sometimes known as a Dabchick (here in the Uk that is)

Welcome to Birdforum Steve,

That's a winter plumaged Little Grebe, sometimes known as a Dabchick (here in the Uk that is)

Wow, prompt reply thanks. Also, thanks for the welcome, hopefully I'll be able to contribute here.

Having a look at my Collins Field Guide to Birds, it now becomes fairly obvious. However, I think I was thrown by the slightly reddy colour on the beak. That doesn't feature in the illustration provided. Is this reddy colour typical?

While I'm at it, here are a couple of pics taken in the exotic section (so I assume they are exotic). I couldn't find any info at the Wetland centre, so I was wondering what they were. Files a bit big to be uploaded by the look of it. Again, any ideas appreciated (and apologies if it's not much of a challenge!):

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/geosteve/WetlandCentre11-010002.jpg

and

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/geosteve/WetlandCentre11-010003.jpg

Cheers

Steve

The first is a male Wood Duck.
I think the second is a female Hooded Merganser.
The Wood Duck will be in your Collins.

The first is a male Wood Duck.
I think the second is a female Hooded Merganser.
The Wood Duck will be in your Collins.

Thanks a lot. Yes, the Wood Duck comes under introduced birds and is apparently "easily confused" with female and immature Mandarin ducks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back