• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Pigeon (1 Viewer)

staylor1405

I have a wood pigeon nested in my hedge and she has layed at least one egg. She is sitting on it and has been for at least ten days now and I haven't seen a male relieve her. Can she survive on her own for the 17 days needed to hatch her chick and can I help in any way?

Hi,

I'd imagine that she's quite happy if she's been there that long. We had a pair nesting at my work and only one adult was ever seen, making me wonder if she was a single parent. The chick hatched and fledged successfully, so I'd imagine that nest change-overs were quite discreet. My guess would be that if she'd lost her mate and was alone, she'd have abandoned the nest by now.

There's nothing I can think of that you can do to help out. If you put food nearby it may attract predators or increase disturbance around the nest.

Fingers crossed for a successful outcome.

Cheers

Hi staylor and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Wood Pigeons are one of those species where both adults share incubating duties, one sitting during the day and the other overnight, so it's possible you may not see the change-over.

Please keep us posted on how this family gets on.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back