• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who eats what (1 Viewer)

snapper

I am starting this thread on which birds eat what food, I will try any food but I bought a bag of nijer seed & mixed it with my other bird food but there were no takers, is it because it was mixed with other food or do I not have the type of bird that likes it coming to my table. I understood that this type of food was for finches, which I do get in my garden, do I need to keep this type of food in a seperate feeder so that they are not over powered by larger birds at the table, I am looking for threads that state "What food for which bird & where to put it" it does not matter what country this is from as it is not just for me, there must be loads of different foods out there that some of us have never even thought about & even if we have where is the best place to put it, ground, table, feeder or somewhere else & where for which bird.
Regards Snapper.

Hi Snapper, if you do a search, there should be loads of threads discussing the types of foods birds eat in the garden. (I stick to sunflower hearts, can't go wrong with 'em).

Regards

It would be nice if we could filter the bird database, so that I could, for example, ask it what birds I could expect to feed on nuts in Warwickshire.

A database you cannot filter on any field is just a list - not a database.

I found a site on the Net with a list of birds and the type of food they eat. I think it was a UK site.

Cannot find it now!!

I would be grateful if any one can link me to it again.

Thanks.

Hello Snapper,

Regarding nyger seed, I know most folk seem to go for a nyger feeder, and our finches - green, chaffies, and gold all seem to love it, but I also put it in a dish on the ground sometimes and that was the only time I saw a brambling in the garden, feeding amongst the chaffinches.

Hope that helps,

(o)<

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back