• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which seed feeder is better: Tube feeder, house feeder or automatic feeder? (2 Viewers)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
Tube feeders contain a supply of seeds, so you don't have to fill this feeder that often and the tube is protected from the environment, but the moisture and coldness can get into the tube by the holes from which the birds get seeds, so these seeds can become a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. The tube feeders also extend an inch or more below the bottom-most feeding ports and mold and bacteria can breed here too, but you can block the bottom of the tube so It's not that big problem. Other advantages of this type of feeder is that the birds don't defecate where they eat, so they don't eat seeds from the feces and they forage separately.

House feeders need to be regularly filled and the rain or snow can easily fall on the seeds, when there's a strong wind. Of course seeds are also threatened by the moisture in the air and birds defecate where they eat and they can forage in large number at the same place.

Automatic feeders (with the seed dispenser) also have a supply of seeds, but the seeds are at the edge of the feeder so in this feeder, seeds are the most threatened by the rain, snow and moisture. The advantage is that the birds don't defecate where they eat, and they forage separately, but they can also forage in big numbers. The moisture can also get inside by the gap at the bottom and this type of feeder should be airtight.

What is your opinion about these feeders? Which is the safest for birds?
The first photo is the tube feeder, the second one and the third one are automatic feeder, and the fourth one is the house feeder - every file is named too. (These are not my photos!)

Attachments

• Tube feeder.jpg
    Tube feeder.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Automatic feeder.jpeg
    Automatic feeder.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Automatic feeder 2.png
    Automatic feeder 2.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 8
  • House feeder.jpeg
    House feeder.jpeg
    844 KB · Views: 6
The safest are the ones that are cleaned on a regular basis and replenished with good quality feed : otherwise they are pretty similar though the open house feeder can attract larger bird species as well as mammals and is prone to wind blowing the food off, even with the edge sills.

The safest are the ones that are cleaned on a regular basis and replenished with good quality feed : otherwise they are pretty similar though the open house feeder can attract larger bird species as well as mammals and is prone to wind blowing the food off, even with the edge sills.
But the tube feeders don't need to be cleaned

But the tube feeders don't need to be cleaned
Mmm, I beg to differ......certainly here in the UK, regular cleaning and sanitising is promoted as routinely essential, particularly to prevent the spread of finch disease amongst the wild birds that visit our garden. Search Trichomonosis, you may change your view.

Fatal to many species.

Last edited:
Mmm, I beg to differ......certainly here in the UK, regular cleaning and sanitising is promoted as routinely essential, particularly to prevent the spread of finch disease amongst the wild birds that visit our garden. Search Trichomonosis, you may change your view.

Fatal to many species.
Can I clean my feeder with water only? And should I clean it from the inside too?

In an earlier post, you mentioned that you get Greenfinches and sometimes Chaffinches at your feeders - these are species vulnerable to trichomonosis, so cleaning is a good idea 👍

Can I clean my feeder with water only? And should I clean it from the inside too?
A warm soapy detergent solution should be used after dismantling the feeder and put everything in a bucket to soak for a few minutes...... including nuts and bolts, perches etc. Then clean thoroughly all the surfaces inside and out, using a bottle brush or similar to reach any tight or awkward areas. Rinse with fresh water. Then leave to dry or wipe down with an appropriate sanitizer ( not bleach ). Once completely dry, reassemble and refill with clean food / seeds / peanuts etc.

Hi,
I prefer tube feeders made of wire as relatively easy to clean, with no wooden parts and no parts which birds can easily sh*t on. Trichomonasis is more a problem in wet, warmer winters and summer feeding in Western Europe than in freezing winters in Poland. Tall tube feeders can be refilled less often, but having several feeders mean that more birds can feed at once, making better show.

I use a squirrel buster high capacity tube feeder filled with sunflower kernels and it attracts finches, acorn woodpeckers, and grosbeaks. I use a thistle feeder with nyjer for finches. I use a large capacity platform feeder with a no hull seed mix that attracts finches and acorn woodpeckers and juncos. I use another platform feeder filled with sunflower seeds and it attracts grosbeaks, Stellar jays, scrub jays, and chestnut chickadees. And I have from 2 to 6 quart feeders for hummingbirds with the number depending on the time of year. With the quail the seed is tossed out on the ground where there is good cover from the bushes.

All of these are easy to keep clean and I remove and clean them thoroughly every 6 months. The hummer feeders are cleaned every 3 days with a bleach solution. I also have a clay water dish that is 22 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep and the water is replaced daily and every 10 days I soak it with a bleach solution while using a smaller backup dish.

Not all that time consuming as I have enough capacity in each feeder to last 2-3 days without adding more seed. I also have many native plants on my property that I have added over the past 28 years. The end result is 58 species that visit during the year.

A warm soapy detergent solution should be used after dismantling the feeder and put everything in a bucket to soak for a few minutes...... including nuts and bolts, perches etc. Then clean thoroughly all the surfaces inside and out, using a bottle brush or similar to reach any tight or awkward areas. Rinse with fresh water. Then leave to dry or wipe down with an appropriate sanitizer ( not bleach ). Once completely dry, reassemble and refill with clean food / seeds / peanuts etc.

Should I use a special detergent for the birds' feeders only or can I use dishwashing liquid? And what is the appropriate sanitizer?

Last edited:
In an earlier post, you mentioned that you get Greenfinches and sometimes Chaffinches at your feeders - these are species vulnerable to trichomonosis, so cleaning is a good idea
Greenfinches are not often, and as for now, I saw chaffinch only once (the birds that visit my feeders are tits and tree sparrows). I understand, that this disease relates only to finches?

Last edited:
Greenfinches are not often, and as for now, I saw chaffinch only once (the birds that visit my feeders are tits and tree sparrows). I understand, that this disease relates only to finches?
No, it has also been found in Tits and House Sparrows. You can read more on the BTO website.
Washing up liquid is fine for cleaning.
Sanitizing should be done sparingly, there are many bird feeder sanitizer products available on line, some harmful to aquatic life......I guess you can use a disinfectant suitable for cleaning baby items though check the ratio with water.

No, it has also been found in Tits and House Sparrows. You can read more on the BTO website.
Washing up liquid is fine for cleaning.
Sanitizing should be done sparingly, there are many bird feeder sanitizer products available on line, some harmful to aquatic life......I guess you can use a disinfectant suitable for cleaning baby items though check the ratio with water.
Isn't cleaning alone enough?

Okay, and what If during the day, the birds didn't eat all the seeds - is it okay to leave them in the tube for the night, or should I empty the tube and keep the seeds at home?

Okay, and what If during the day, the birds didn't eat all the seeds - is it okay to leave them in the tube for the night, or should I empty the tube and keep the seeds at home?
You can leave, only need to clean occasionally.

Where in Poland are you? Once it gets far below zero in winter, I have automatic feeders that can hold even a month of food, never an issue with food going bad once so cold. In the more mild beginning and end of winter, I usually put enough to need filling every week.

Ok, but why should I use special bowl and brush, used only to clean the feeders? Can't I clean it in the basement in the sink?

Last edited:
Ok, but why should I use special bowl and brush, used only to clean the feeders? Can't I clean it in the basement in the sink?
Of course you can, clean cloths or washing brushes will do. A special brush for cleaning the feeders will help prevent any cross contamination or smells picked up when used with other cleaning agents or chemicals......it is generally good hygienic practice. As mentioned, good quality feed will last for days, even weeks but don't let it get mouldy.

Lastly, it is also a good idea to move the feeders to different positions from time to time - prevents a build up of fallen food and faeces from building up in one area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back