Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski Habicht 10x40 W GA 2019

Old Sunday 23rd June 2019, 00:33   #26
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Not hardly!

It is just an easy to use binocular that will give one a pleasurable experience using it. One won't have to cup their hands around the eye cups to avoid glare or brace ones hands against one's fore head to get the right eye relief.

Mine cost $359.95 at Eagle optics 8 years ago.

Bob
"One won't have to cup their hands around the eye cups to avoid glare or brace ones hands against one's fore head to get the right eye relief."

I have went to this method on just about all my binoculars except the SV's especially the smaller eye cup one's like my compacts. Most eye cups don't fit my face perfectly or they are too small like the Habicht's so with my hands I can custom fit the binoculars to my facial structure. Works great! That 96% transmission of the Habicht was sure helpful spotting an alpha wolf pair(Gray and Black) at dawn in the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone. You could just barely make out their outline as they moved across the river valley. A bright binocular is essential under those situations. Isn't the Swift made in a porro version also? It might have better transmission.

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 23rd June 2019 at 00:38.
Old Sunday 23rd June 2019, 00:47   #27
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
"One won't have to cup their hands around the eye cups to avoid glare or brace ones hands against one's fore head to get the right eye relief."

I have went to this method on just about all my binoculars except the SV's especially the smaller eye cup one's like my compacts. Most eye cups don't fit my face perfectly or they are too small like the Habicht's so with my hands I can custom fit the binoculars to my facial structure. Works great! That 96% transmission of the Habicht was sure helpful spotting an alpha wolf pair(Gray and Black) at dawn in the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone. You could just barely make out their outline as they moved across the river valley. A bright binocular is essential under those situations. Isn't the Swift made in a porro version also?
Dennis,

I'm not sure if Swift is still in business but at the time I bought mine they also made a Porro version of the 8.5 x 44. It had a very wide FOV.

Swift still has a website but it is dated 2016. The address for the company is in
Wheatridge, Colorado. The website below has pictures of their binoculars.

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/binoculars.html

Bob

PS: FWIW my Swift 828 HHS binocular says it is made in Japan and its eye cups and diopter ring are exactly like the ones on my inexpensive Leupold 7x42 BX2 which also says it is made in Japan.

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 23rd June 2019 at 00:59.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 23rd June 2019, 01:21   #28
[email protected]

Bob,

Thanks, for the information. Interesting that they are in my neighborhood or close to it! Here are a couple of reviews on them. Comments are kind of mixed but overall pretty good. I like the 90% transmission and the 24 oz. weight.

https://www.allbinos.com/158-binocul...on_8.5x44.html
https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.co...roPrism-29.htm

Dennis

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 23rd June 2019 at 14:49.
Old Sunday 23rd June 2019, 19:35   #29
mooreorless

Dennis did you take the pictures post #17 ?
Old Sunday 23rd June 2019, 21:13   #30
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreorless View Post
Dennis did you take the pictures post #17 ?
Yes, with my cell phone.
Old Monday 1st July 2019, 01:46   #31
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Yes, with my cell phone.
This phone is the 10x zoom model recently introduced?
Seriously, these are nice shots, I especially liked the badgers, I've not seen a family sunbathing before.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st July 2019, 03:20   #32
denc[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
This phone is the 10x zoom model recently introduced?
Seriously, these are nice shots, I especially liked the badgers, I've not seen a family sunbathing before.
Just a 3x zoom. You can get seriously close to the wildlife in Yellowstone National Park because they are so tame. For 150 years the park has been protected by the Military and then the Park Service so the animals have no fear of humans. I was less than 30 feet away from the Badger's and they were NOT scared of me. When I would get closer they would lunge toward me as if to say "Just make my day!." They are one fearless animal. I guess that is the reason they have survived for thousands of years. When I went through the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone I observed a Coyote trying to get an injured Badger and the Badger was holding it's own despite a seemingly injured leg. I am going back to Yellowstone at the end of August when there will be less tourist. This time I am going to fly into Jackson Hole, Wyoming and rent a car. Yellowstone is a pretty long drive from Greeley, CO. About 12 to 14 hours across Wyoming where there is basically nothing except antelope and a few drunk cowboys and indians. I think it inspired the song "Home ,Home on the Range."

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 1st July 2019 at 03:23.
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 00:08   #33
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Just a 3x zoom. You can get seriously close to the wildlife in Yellowstone National Park because they are so tame. For 150 years the park has been protected by the Military and then the Park Service so the animals have no fear of humans. I was less than 30 feet away from the Badger's and they were NOT scared of me. When I would get closer they would lunge toward me as if to say "Just make my day!." They are one fearless animal. I guess that is the reason they have survived for thousands of years. When I went through the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone I observed a Coyote trying to get an injured Badger and the Badger was holding it's own despite a seemingly injured leg. I am going back to Yellowstone at the end of August when there will be less tourist. This time I am going to fly into Jackson Hole, Wyoming and rent a car. Yellowstone is a pretty long drive from Greeley, CO. About 12 to 14 hours across Wyoming where there is basically nothing except antelope and a few drunk cowboys and indians. I think it inspired the song "Home ,Home on the Range."
Was there in early spring, north entrance, through roads still snowed shut, no badgers, no geysers, but grizzlies stealing wolf kills, lots of bison and elks, eagles galore and stunning Mountain Bluebirds, dazzling blue against the snow.
Hope to return soon

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 03:43   #34
[email protected]

Quote:
Was there in early spring, north entrance, through roads still snowed shut, no badgers, no geysers, but grizzlies stealing wolf kills, lots of bison and elks, eagles galore and stunning Mountain Bluebirds, dazzling blue against the snow.
Hope to return soon
I came into Yellowstone through the Northeast entrance through Cook City Montana. It is billed as "The Coolest Little Town in America." I don't know about that but it is pretty cool. It is really scenic but there is nobody on the road and it takes a LONG time to get to Yellowstone. That is why I am flying in next time. It should be billed as the "loneliest" road in America. I came back to Greeley on I25 through Casper ,Wyoming and just before I got to Cheyenne it started POURING rain so hard I couldn't see the road divider lines so I went by the reflectors on the side of the road and people were hitting deer left and right. A guy passed me and pretty soon he was pulled off the road because he hit a deer and the deer was dead in the road. I couldn't avoid the deer so I straddled him with my truck and ran right over him without even touching my truck.

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 2nd July 2019 at 03:52.
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 00:16   #35
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
I came into Yellowstone through the Northeast entrance through Cook City Montana. It is billed as "The Coolest Little Town in America." I don't know about that but it is pretty cool. It is really scenic but there is nobody on the road and it takes a LONG time to get to Yellowstone. That is why I am flying in next time. It should be billed as the "loneliest" road in America. I came back to Greeley on I25 through Casper ,Wyoming and just before I got to Cheyenne it started POURING rain so hard I couldn't see the road divider lines so I went by the reflectors on the side of the road and people were hitting deer left and right. A guy passed me and pretty soon he was pulled off the road because he hit a deer and the deer was dead in the road. I couldn't avoid the deer so I straddled him with my truck and ran right over him without even touching my truck.
Interesting about Cook City, we went there for lunch and Black Rosy Finches,
but the road out of Cook City beyond the Park was closed because of snow.

I'd think just that road trip would be an adventure, even before factoring in the presence of aggressive car and motorcycle drivers. Cook City had loads of heavy bikes, even in late winter.

Old Friday 5th July 2019, 14:27   #36
[email protected]

Quote:
Interesting about Cook City, we went there for lunch and Black Rosy Finches,
but the road out of Cook City beyond the Park was closed because of snow.

I'd think just that road trip would be an adventure, even before factoring in the presence of aggressive car and motorcycle drivers. Cook City had loads of heavy bikes, even in late winter.
It certainly was especially all the deer on the road coming into Cheyenne, Wyoming. Cook City does look like a Biker town for sure. Montana is an interesting state for sure.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: