• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 7x42 dissection (2 Viewers)

Since it had the same optical design the FOV and sharpness were the same as the 7x42 "Traditional" (which we now call the 7x42 Habicht), except that the SL had superior Swarotop coating and two fewer glass to air surfaces, which made it brighter and less yellow biased than the Traditional 7x42 of the 1980s (at least when it was new).

Here from John A Roberts source + the dedicated thread ;)
(Btw, Siggy, The SL line was in production from 1980 to 1998.)
Swarovski SL porro models
They had some internal fogging, like cataract, and I sent them back to Swaro who repaired and polished internally. The FOV is narrower that current models, but I dont have any stats. The also engraved a new serial #. Now that I'm nearly 65, I'm ready for something newer, brighter and lighter. Not sure I want to spend Swaro money!

I sat and thought, what do I like so much about this new Habicht 7x42? ...Precisely these poor quality specifications and the simplicity of the mechanical and optical construction seem to reduce these binoculars to a kind of essence. These essences paradoxically attract me because, by antithesis, this seem to emphasize even more the clarity and fantastic transmission of these beautiful binoculars.
Habicht 1.jpg
It's about the simple things that are refined to the extreme.
Habicht 2.jpg
It is about modern optical performance in the shirt of tradition.
Habicht 3.jpg
The new Swarovski Habicht 7x42 porro is a classic still alive! I like that these binoculars are manufactured in small quantities only when there are many requests. I waited about two months for the production to be finished. These are no ordinary stock binoculars

Last edited:
Nices as always, dorubird. Such "tactile" pictures, makes you want to extend your arm, grab it directly from the screen and go birding.

Timeless beauty. I've always been amazed by how can a company that clearly has an eye for detail (from design to packaging) market such "tasteless" features as the huge and out of place "SWAROVSKI" name on the bridge axis and the cheap looking inscriptions on the plates. In such a classic and understated design is just a small disgrace. I had a modern 2018 8x30 and the design was just mind-blowing (the fake leather, the mechanical bits, the overall feeling of a perfectly polished tool, understated and perfect) that these two minor details came as a shock. I can only assume that Swarovski thinks (not without reason) that their customers want to their binoculars to be perceived as status symbols. Otherwise, I can't for the love of mine understand how a designer can accept the huge name on the bridge, really. If you take photoshop and erase it and simply place it on one of the plates where "Habicht" or "7x42" are written it would be so much nicer.
Personally I cover up all Logos and branding with black insulating tape. Makes what I am using nondescript. Having been the victim of two separate binocular thefts in the past (obviously I didn't learn the first time) Simple plain neck straps and if a case is required a simple velour is used.

I sat and thought, what do I like so much about this new Habicht 7x42? ...Precisely these poor quality specifications and the simplicity of the mechanical and optical construction seem to reduce these binoculars to a kind of essence. These essences paradoxically attract me because, by antithesis, this seem to emphasize even more the clarity and fantastic transmission of these beautiful binoculars.
View attachment 1502294
It's about the simple things that are refined to the extreme.
View attachment 1502295
It is about modern optical performance in the shirt of tradition.
View attachment 1502296
The new Swarovski Habicht 7x42 porro is a classic still alive! I like that these binoculars are manufactured in small quantities only when there are many requests. I waited about two months for the production to be finished. These are no ordinary stock binoculars
"The new Swarovski Habicht 7x42 porro is a classic still alive! I like that these binoculars are manufactured in small quantities only when there are many requests. I waited about two months for the production to be finished. These are no ordinary stock binoculars"

Thank you wondered why all the shops I am looking at online have no stock.

As I use this Habicht 7x42, I definitely realize the following aspect even better: I like its aparent visual field of view exactly as it is, small and narrow! It is a purely aesthetic pleasure! It's the binoculars with the biggest personality I've met by far! It is a binocular that requires a lot of understanding to begin with, and it is very easy to abandon it because of the weak specifications. But after you use it without prejudgment related to AFOV, it turns into magic with time.
This narrow AFOV, which everyone spits out (including me), is illuminated by an extraordinarily clear image that floats in a totally black space, creating a unique and powerful aesthetic impression.
This aesthetic impression paradoxically, if the AFOV had been increased, would disappear!
This paradoxically experience clearly confirmed to me, once again, that a pair of binoculars cannot be characterized only by some numbers (even carefully and objective placed in tables), but also through strongly subjective impressions, but honest! The complexity of reality, even of a simple pair of binoculars, cannot be reduced only to numbers, it also has other values that escape the measuring devices, but not to our perception!

As I use this Habicht 7x42, I definitely realize the following aspect even better: I like its aparent visual field of view exactly as it is, small and narrow! It is a purely aesthetic pleasure! It's the binoculars with the biggest personality I've met by far! It is a binocular that requires a lot of understanding to begin with, and it is very easy to abandon it because of the weak specifications. But after you use it without prejudgment related to AFOV, it turns into magic with time.
This narrow AFOV, which everyone spits out (including me), is illuminated by an extraordinarily clear image that floats in a totally black space, creating a unique and powerful aesthetic impression.
This aesthetic impression paradoxically, if the AFOV had been increased, would disappear!
This paradoxically experience clearly confirmed to me, once again, that a pair of binoculars cannot be characterized only by some numbers (even carefully and objective placed in tables), but also through strongly subjective impressions, but honest! The complexity of reality, even of a simple pair of binoculars, cannot be reduced only to numbers, it also has other values that escape the measuring devices, but not to our perception!
You talked me into trying a Habicht 7x42 again, so I picked one up to try. Every time I go back to a Habicht I am amazed how good they are. There is something special about the view. I remember the first time I tried a Habicht 8x30, it wowed me with the view. They are very sharp on-axis, have a superb stereoscopic effect and of course they are very, very bright! Since I don't wear eyeglasses I have to use the Mosfet technique because the eye cups are too small and short for the eye relief, but it works ok.

What is weird is I have been using a Canon 8x20 IS lately for birding, and it has a relatively small FOV and going to the Habicht 7x42 the FOV seems larger and not so tunnel like now! I tried your Nikon MHG 8x30 and even though they are nice, and I wish they worked for me without glasses the eye cups were too short for the eye relief and I got all kinds of black-outs. Sadly, I had to return them.

You talked me into trying a Habicht 7x42 again, so I picked one up to try. Every time I go back to a Habicht I am amazed how good they are. There is something special about the view. I remember the first time I tried a Habicht 8x30, it wowed me with the view. They are very sharp on-axis, have a superb stereoscopic effect and of course they are very, very bright! Since I don't wear eyeglasses I have to use the Mosfet technique because the eye cups are too small and short for the eye relief, but it works ok.

What is weird is I have been using a Canon 8x20 IS lately for birding, and it has a relatively small FOV and going to the Habicht 7x42 the FOV seems larger and not so tunnel like now! I tried your Nikon MHG 8x30 and even though they are nice, and I wish they worked for me without glasses the eye cups were too short for the eye relief and I got all kinds of black-outs. Sadly, I had to return them.
I was a little surprised when you sold your low light/nighttime zombie spotters , but you do go through binoculars like I go through cigars.

Funny thing about your post is I was thinking the same thing because I’ve been using my 8 x 32 Canon IS and the 7x42 Habicht’s side by side and the Swaro doesn’t look so narrow.

Here’s a few things I did to make the Habicht’s more comfortable.

Attachments

• 3FE5C70A-7E29-45BC-9AE1-DE46E2048C95.jpg
    3FE5C70A-7E29-45BC-9AE1-DE46E2048C95.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 139855E0-C13E-4B40-AFC7-B92F7AB854B0.jpg
    139855E0-C13E-4B40-AFC7-B92F7AB854B0.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 47
  • F1467FD1-EB56-446F-AFB1-CDA56DBAC1B5.jpg
    F1467FD1-EB56-446F-AFB1-CDA56DBAC1B5.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 55F6C77D-71DD-4560-823B-76E2BA5008C8.jpg
    55F6C77D-71DD-4560-823B-76E2BA5008C8.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 48
I was a little surprised when you sold your low light/nighttime zombie spotters , but you do go through binoculars like I go through cigars.

Funny thing about your post is I was thinking the same thing because I’ve been using my 8 x 32 Canon IS and the 7x42 Habicht’s side by side and the Swaro doesn’t look so narrow.

Here’s a few things I did to make the Habicht’s more comfortable.
I have used the bigger GA eye cups before and they do help. Did you make those eyepiece covers out of an inner tube on the Habicht 8x30? They look good. Thanks for the tips!

I have used the bigger GA eye cups before and they do help. Did you make those eyepiece covers out of an inner tube on the Habicht 8x30? They look good. Thanks for the tips!
I believe I bought them on the Bay. They’re nice because you can adjust them for more eye relief and they’re tight so they don’t move.

Hi Dennis,

They seem to be the ones in this thread: Replacing Eyecups on the Habicht 8x30 W
(fitted upside down they look as in Paul's image - I hadn't tried that until now) *

See an image from Henning86:

Eyepiece Cups.jpg

However, the provided link shows they’re not currently available from that source:

Availability.jpg

So a bit of searching may turn up a result.

John

* Fitted the usual way on the leatherette models, they can be used with or without the original eyecups in place.
On the RA models, the larger diameter original eyecups have to be removed, before they can be fitted.

Last edited:
Hi Dennis,

They seem to be the ones in this thread: Replacing Eyecups on the Habicht 8x30 W
(fitted upside down they look as in Paul's image - I hadn't tried that until now) *

See an image from Henning86:

View attachment 1506957

However, the provided link shows they’re not currently available from that source:

View attachment 1506960

So a bit of searching may turn up a result.

John

* Fitted the usual way on the leatherette models, they can be used with or without the original eyecups in place.
On the RA models, the larger diameter original eyecups have to be removed, before they can be fitted.
Thanks, John. When it comes to research, you are the man.

Do you have a link? Thanks! Does anybody have any good eye cups you can put over the Habicht 7x42 eye cups to increase the length and diameter?
I’m not sure but these look like it.

Or

I’m not sure but these look like it.

Or

Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

1687538707971.png
This Habicht is my favorite 7x magnification binoculars. It gives a captivating image and has a very stylish appearance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back