• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recorders (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
Does anyone have experience of submitting a record and It being Turned down For whatever reason?

were you not Believed? yet someone else reports The Bird and its recorded? In our Hobby is it a case of Hmmmmmmmm I dont think We believe Him?

Discuss

Steve,
Some years ago a friend and I found a Phyllosc warbler at Radipole (Dorset), with huge bill, prominent long supercilium, two wing bars etc. We took notes, Bear did a sketch, and then and only then did we sit down (over Spaghetti Carbonara and Chianti, for Peter's interest !) with the field guide to try to ID it. We were left with the choice of Yellow-browed Warbler or Arctic Warbler. We both independently wrote down what we thought it was, had a sweet (profiteroles) and coffee, checked it all out again (with the help of the Italian café owner and his wife, who'd somehow got involved), and all agreed - Arctic Warbler.
We submitted all our evidence to the BBRC, and it took them nearly a year to decide we hadn't completely ruled out Yellow-browed Warbler. So that was that - but every time I see a photo in any of the bird mags of an Arctic Warbler, I'm still convinced we were right.

Tony

Last edited:
Tony

Were they right in saying that you hadn't completely ruled out Yellow-browed Warbler? Or was it a case that you weren't precise enough in the way you wrote your submission?

Peter

ps I hope the Chianti was a superiore...............

An interesting point, Peter - we wrote down what we saw, before we looked at the field guide. No doubt we could have 'massaged' the description to ensure it had a better chance of acceptance, but neither of us wanted to do that. I understand it was circulated more than once, so evidently even the BBRC had some deliberations befor pronouncing 'verdict'. Myself, I'd rather lose a record that way than have a dodgy one accepted.
The Chianti, by the way, was cheap and cheerful, as befitted a cafe with no drinks licence !

Tony

I had a record declined in Spain last year because basically I don't know how to draw and neither am I that good at writing out detail. I had actually reported the bird to an RSPB man at El Rocio on the Coto Donana before coming home. It was only when I saw the same bird, or one that was almost a clone of that bird, two weeks later at Rimac in Lincs that I decided to send my report in. I was certain that I had seen a Lesser Sand Plover at Tarifa but it was rejected.

Unless you can be totally precise with your description and can give field sketches of a fairly high standard I doubt if you will get a record accepted.

I can imagine that quite a few records have been missed due to birders not being able describe correctly what they saw.

Unfortunately I feel that there are not that many birders capable of that high degree of descriptive abilty in their writing so we will always have rejected records.

Hopefully now that digiscoping can give such superb 'instant' results, those of us who can't draw will be in with a better chance of having records accepted. I believe the BBRC likes records to be accompanied by as much corroborative detail as possible - if I am ever in that position again, with digital pix as proof, I intend to send the original Smart card from the camera with the submission, so there can be no suggestion of electronic tampering with the evidence.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back