• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retirement to where? (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Sorry was not sure where to pose this question!

So when you retire where would you choose to live if:-

1- your desire was to bird watch all day everyday, with no real budget worries?

2- your desire was to bird watch all day everyday on a budget?

My hope is to one day own a prime 800 lens(or similar) and wander around my country taking pictures in the peace and tranquility of the countryside, just me, my camera, coffee and wildlife, oh and sunshine!
Now I am thinking of these countries as they may well be affordable and great for birding!
Philippines, Vietnam, S America, Laos, Myanmar.
My ideal right now would be on Bantayan island, I could live there easily with my camera ;-)
Your thoughts!

Personally I Europe I would choose Mallorca, as it offers different scenery, a good variety of birds at different seasons, but perhaps most importantly a great lifestyle.

1. Costa Rica - lots of birds - cheap living and pretty safe - I seem to remember that you need to prove you have reasonably large assets to get a residency permit though - hence 1.
2. Perhaps the Algarve (slightly away from the touristy bits).

South African coast for me, Kleinbai or similar.....excellent year round birding and they have seasons with wind and rain, all the things that remind us Brits of home..

Ex rate is amazing right now too.....

Andy

South African coast for me, Kleinbai or similar.....excellent year round birding and they have seasons with wind and rain, all the things that remind us Brits of home..

Ex rate is amazing right now too.....

Andy

Andy, I thought you'd already retired to Bird Forum, like me:-O:t:
MJB

I must say, now my eye is in a little better and I have moved cities, I am finding more birds in China. Hard work here but it is slowly improving, all I need to do now is educated these numpties to shut up for a while, hell they really do not need phones! and to throw their litter into a bin.....stop spitting and using the street or shop as a toilet then it would be even better!!!!

I wanted to say: why don't you stay somewhere in the S-China coast not too far from Guangzhou.
This, you could fly all over the country for well-planned 4-5 day trips targeting 5-10 birds each trip.

In this way, it will probably take some years to see all the birds of China and photograph them reasonably well.

If not China, I would opt for Thailand. Great food, great parks and easy to move around, and beyond the borders with Cambodia / Myanmar / Malaysia / Philippines / Indonesia

1. I´d love to live in South-Africa or maybe some S-American country, Argentina or Chile.

2. If I have an unlimited budget, I would live ½ or max. 1 year for every country where I manage, until the reaper get me... or maybe I will buy big yahct and sailing round a world.

Ups! My numbers goes the wrong way round.

I'd probably still stay in the states, but migrate somewhere south that is more friendly for year round birding, as well as somewhere with good track record of vagrants and such.

Optimally, that means southern California, the southern Texas Coast, or Florida.

Retirement? It's galloping down the home stretch for me, and I still haven't decided if I should move to Okinawa full time, return to the UK ( be afraid, be very afraid ;) ) or .........

1. With no financial constraints - Alice Springs. Damn near the centre of Oz, so it's about the same distance from anywhere else, including all those islands to the north and east.

2. Sabah. Cheap, easily traversed and a sh1t load of good birds.
British Columbia. Good year round birding, with the added bonus of a daughter and son-in-law to look after me when dotage finally kicks in.
UK. Just to outlive that bas*ard who reckoned my generation would either be dead or drooling when the next election comes around so the present government can get away with damn near anything.
NZ. Not many birds ( bloody good sea watching though ) but, generally one of the most civilised countries on earth.

It is a good number of years into the future, but not a small island. I would want the bird variety of some mainland location.

If the money will stretch far enough, and health keeps up, probably Costa Rica or Panama, with a South American country as another possibility. Chile seems safe but not cheap, some of the cheaper places seem less safe. If, for economic reasons, I would have to move back to the EU area, then I would expect S Spain or S Portugal, but those areas are a bit cold in winter.

If we get enough money put aside, then Australia would be on the radar as well.

I also like birding in the locations Morgan mentions, but would add S Arizona as a place on the radar. As a non-US person, I would probably have to prove a very high economic worth to be allowed to settle.

Niels

Kwazulu Natal - good birds, good general wildlife, good weather (overall) and the Sharks super 15 rugby franchise close by
New Zealand - probably the north of the South Island with its Mediterranean climate, bird life a little light, admittedly, but such a phenomenally beautiful place, some good rugby on offer too
Portugal - general good birding and good weather (overall), charming friendly locals
France (south west) as Portugal but with decent rugby
Spain (interior) as France
Scilly - can't help myself, I love Scilly

I like Canada but wouldn't like the winter.....
I like Australia but too much of the wildlife seems intent on killing you ! ;)
I like Hong Kong but miles too busy !

Scilly - can't help myself, I love Scilly

I've had the same idea in the back of my mind for a while, but I'd also like to keep on visiting more far-flung places on holiday, and I've realised that you can really come a cropper if there's bad weather and you can't get off the islands! It's also not a great place when mobility becomes an issue, unless you buy a golf buggy...

If I have an unlimited budget, I would live ½ or max. 1 year for every country where I manage, until the reaper get me... or maybe I will buy big yahct and sailing round a world.

I forgot to say I need a place for all my bird books etc. So I have to buy my own little Island from Gulf of Finland where I could spend summers. :king:

I look forward to the jackpot...

Having retired to southern Spain 23 years ago I have never regretted it.The birds are fantastic,the people and food great and then there is the climate.My advice would be to avoid smallish islands as you would soon be bored with the same habitat day in day out and would yearn to travel further.
Wherever you go it is important to integrate into the local society and get the best out of your well earned retirement.Enjoy in good health......Eddy

Anywhere but this country!It is going to the dogs.
Millions of people want to get in here:I want to get out!
Not sure what it would be like to live there but Cuba is scenically beautiful and there are great endemics and resident birds and it is wonderful during migration.
They have a first class health service too![better than the NHS]
Have a happy retirement.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back