• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Google Street View birding (1 Viewer)

Here's the first century; on to the next!

Red-legged Partridge
Common Pheasant
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Pink-footed Goose
Coscoroba Swan
Black Swan
Mute Swan
Whooper Swan
Egyptian Goose
Common Shelduck
Paradise Shelduck
Crested Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Mallard
Hardhead
New Zealand Scaup
Tufted Duck
Common Eider
Goosander [Common Merganser]
Common Swift
Alpine Swift
Rock Dove [feral pigeon]
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Australasian Swamphen
Common Moorhen
Dusky Moorhen
Eurasian Coot
Greater Flamingo
Eurasian Oystercatcher
Variable Oystercatcher
Pied Avocet
Black-winged Stilt
Pied Stilt
Northern Lapwing
Masked Lapwing
Black-tailed Godwit
Common Sandpiper
Willet
Common Redshank
Black-legged Kittiwake
Black-headed Gull
Slender-billed Gull
Silver Gull [Silver & Red-billed sspp]
Laughing Gull
Dolphin Gull
Common Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Kelp Gull
Western Gull
European Herring Gull
American Herring Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Forster's Tern
Arctic Tern
Black Guillemot
White Stork
Pygmy Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Great Cormorant
Australian White Ibis
American White Ibis
Western Cattle Egret
Grey Heron
Great Egret
White-faced Heron
Snowy Egret
Little Egret
Brown Pelican
Turkey Vulture
Griffon Vulture
Black Kite
Red Kite
Hen Harrier
Cinereous Harrier
Bald Eagle
Common Buzzard
Western Osprey
Common Kestrel
Lesser Kestrel
Australian Magpie
Magpie-lark
Rufous Treepie
Eurasian Magpie
Western Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Hooded Crow
Common Raven
Barn Swallow
Common Starling
Common Blackbird
European Stonechat
White Wagtail
Common Chaffinch
Reed Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird

Awaiting verification:
Slavonian Grebe (post #62)
Falcon (sp.), Bangladesh (post #66)
Great Thrush, Colombia (post #65)

Last edited:
One other thing to watch out for - sometimes you get places which are individual photos, still called 'Street View', but with a named contributor NOT Google. These do not count!! They are often photos deliberately chosen for their birds, which is cheating, as you're not finding birds by your own skill.

Here's an example of one, spot the thousands of Demoiselle Cranes! But it's not going on the list!
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.1376078,72.4174169,3a,59.6y,41.85h,85.41t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPkGIxFex7KMC0dJM8d-TkO-Clux6O8smiWwye1!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPkGIxFex7KMC0dJM8d-TkO-Clux6O8smiWwye1%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya356-ro-0-fo100!7i3840!8i1919?hl=en

Crows - near Sarehole Mill, Birmingham UK

https://goo.gl/maps/WHmWRM5Qh6J53pQi8

Hi Julie,

Nice to meet you. It's a small forum!

I grew up a short walk away from Sarehole Mill, and we kids used often to go and catch tiddlers (Sticklebacks) in the River Cole near there - more a stream than a river, we would wade into the middle barefoot with our nets. Out after breakfast, home for dinner (=lunch), out until tea (=supper =dinner), no adult supervision; great times.

And my other hot spot there was the Hall Green library. On Saturdays when we didn't go out to play, for example when it rained, rare in England, I know, but it happened, then I'd get three books out when it opened, read them, get three more at lunchtime, read them, then get three more before it closed to get me through Sunday. (Saturday evening was TV with the whole family, the highlight being 'the film' - I still remember that my mum could get grumpy if the film had Barbara Stanwyck in it, because my dad totally had the hots for her.)

Here in the city of Nara, Japan, we are not even locked down - museums are closed, but temples, restaurants, and all shops are still open. However it's very quiet as throughout the year we get huge numbers of Chinese (mainly, also other Asian) tourists, as well as those from the rest of the world, who are not here - and as the cherry is in full bloom, and we've been told to look but not party, it's very strange. The deer from the park have started coming past our house much more than usual, presumably looking for food because there are no longer tourists to pay for and give them the 'deer crackers' (like biscuits, but specially formulated with stuff that is good to eat for deer).

Our Prefecture (about the size of a UK county) has had sixteeen cases so far, of which five were foreigners brought here from the cruise ship, the Diamond Princess, two were locals from that cruise ship, and there are three active cases, all the others recovered, no deaths here so far.

Just for the record, though there may have been mild cases missed, the Japanese numbers (surprisingly low so far) for serious cases and deaths have not been 'fiddled', at least not deliberately - source, a good and trusted friend who is a coronavirus public health centre doctor for her city (not Nara), and very busy (including days with 24-hour phone duty, mostly neurotics and idiots - e.g. true story, 'My neighbour sneezed in the elevator, can you come an disinfect our entire apartment block').

Apologies, all that is totally off topic, and I expect I'll get my knuckles rapped by Nutcracker (it could be worse, fingers crossed he doesn't live up to his name and ...)

This was just prompted by gettting up this morning (it's about 8am here in Japan) and getting a mail from a good UK friend of mine who is very immuno-suppressed (but otherwise fit and active in her fifties - just an auto-immune problem, not anything else) who has been told that it's more dangerous for her at the moment to go to hospital for treatment, than it is not to get treatment, but that she must completely isolate herself at home for three months (at least, assuming it's over by then) - her (grown) kids can't visit, her man can't visit. Luckily, she has a large garden, and likes plants and birds (which is at last, the Bird Forum connection - I was in the process of replying to her and telling her about this thread when I came across Julie's post), and she lives in a place where she can get food delivered fairly easily.

Anyway, inspired by this thread, I'm going to suggest to my friend that we try and do 'a bird a day' from our respective homes, so maybe she won't feel so isolated.

And I hope all of you are OK, too, of course.

A photo of the season from last year - a Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker admiring the cherry blossom near our house; bonus -you can just make out the two red spots on the back of the head of the male, which are only visible when the feathers are ruffled.

Forgive me this one transgression, Nutcracker!

Attachments

• 190413030 Sahogawa.JPG
    190413030 Sahogawa.JPG
    512.1 KB · Views: 18
Back to the Coscoroba, turn right, go as far as you can, scan back left to the far side of the water. The not so white blobs are Chilean flamingos, over 800 when I was there in December, anyone care to confirm? Think only one of the Coot species was here, but suspect that this is insufficient even if we do find a certain coot.

Back to the Coscoroba, turn right, go as far as you can, scan back left to the far side of the water. The not so white blobs are Chilean flamingos, over 800 when I was there in December, anyone care to confirm? Think only one of the Coot species was here, but suspect that this is insufficient even if we do find a certain coot.
Think you mean 'turn left'? Is it these you mean, behind the dead hedge?
https://www.google.com/maps/@-43.24...4!1sav8c0_JYtiEwishFqktJ8w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Another possibility for Chilean Flamingo is at the lake in Trelew, Argentina. I’ve found them, but don’t know how to capture the link, sorry!
Simplest is to click the mouse cursor on the URL link in the address box so it is highlighted, and then right-click with the mouse and select 'Copy'. Then paste the link into your post :t:

Punta Tombo- Magellanic Penguin and Kelp Gull
I'll see if I can find them and the flamingos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back