• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified - similar to rook, but brown (1 Viewer)

dreuy

I'm in a suburban area, with many rooks. Today I saw a group walking on a patch of grass, but one was different. Looked very like a rook, and walked and hopped exactly as the others, but it was dark brown, with beige wings.

Never seen anything similar in the area before, and can'r find it in the bird ID books or websites.

Any suggestions?

Hi.

No species spring to mind that would resemble Rook with those colours. However, your bird may have been a leucistic Rook or one with a similar pigment deficiency. Leucistic birds often appear sandy or beige coloured.

Regards,
James

I'm in a suburban area, with many rooks. Today I saw a group walking on a patch of grass, but one was different. Looked very like a rook, and walked and hopped exactly as the others, but it was dark brown, with beige wings.

Never seen anything similar in the area before, and can'r find it in the bird ID books or websites.

Any suggestions?

I've been wating for a reply for this as i seen a jackdaw last week similarly coloured , leucism was my own explanation too.

Thanks for that info - we have several with one or two white feathers, but I've never seen one like that before.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back