• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Green Lizard? (1 Viewer)

humakt

I was at Dungeness (south east UK) today and got this picture of a green lizard sunning itself.
But I'm not sure what it is.
I know that sand lizards can go green along their flanks, but this doesn't look like one to me.
And I know that some European green lizards can be found in some parts of the UK. But this doesn't look like one of those either.

I'd be really grateful if someone could let me know what they think it is - I confess that my reptile knowledge is limited.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Green Lizard 2.jpg
    Green Lizard 2.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 161
I'm no expert, and I'll be interested to see what others say - there is a picture of a Sand Lizard on the net which looks pretty similar (no guarantee of course that it is correctly identified) - immature male? Happy to stand corrected and learn something when the real herptile experts show up.

It's a Sand Lizard Lacerta agilis, the vivid green colouring is quite common!

Shane

Really?
I did a Google image search under 'green sand lizard' and whilst the odd one was green all over (most are just green down the sides) the markings, especially down the back, don't look like the sand lizard to me.
Here is a link to the Google search I did:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=...1.995...0j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.JBijTvigc_k#imgrc=_

Also the habitat it was found in was not sandy - it was pebbly. There's no sand in Dungeness! Although it was grassy/mossy/shingle. My searches indicate that Dungeness is too far east for sand lizards in the UK.

If concensus is that it's a sand lizard then I'm happy to go along with that, but I'm not 100% convinced right now.

Sand Lizards show obvious ocelli (framed circular spots) along the length of the body in both sexes. For me this is a Common Lizard. Sand Lizard pic from Belarus attached for reference.

Last edited:
Not according to this site http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/sand_lizard.htm
it states that "If you see a wild lizard that has vivid green colouration it is unmistakably a Sand Lizard"!

Shane

And yet on that exact same website there's also a discussion about green common lizards:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/green-common-lizards_topic2065_page1.html

I am tending more towards it being a common lizard than anything else, but would gladly welcome other thoughts and opinions.
Whatever it is - be it a sand lizard or a green common lizard - it's not a common sight. Has anyone else seen a green common lizard before?

Its a green Common Lizard, they are very variable and I have seen plenty of this ilk at Thursley on the boardwalks.

The structure as well as the markings are wrong for Sand Lizard, which in any case is not found at Dungeness.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back