• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN ? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
How does this Leica model compare to others in this model range.

I am looking for a nice Leica, and these have good reviews.

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I cannot compare it with others in the line but I do own one, in beautiful orange red. I stopped using it when I purchased a Zeiss 8x32 FL. It has a reputation for robust construction. Some have called it a brick. However, it many respects it has been outclassed by more modern binoculars. Its mirrors are silver not dielectric; its glass is neither ED nor FL. So it probably falls a little short in light transmission and spectrum.
As for chromatic aberration, I never had any trouble but I am insensitive to CA and to colour casts. It has a very decent FOV and its focussing apparatus is metal on metal with no lubricants.

The BN was a slight variation on the BA, as it allowed closer focussing hence the designation: B for Briller and N for near. Unlike the Leitz 8x32, it does have phase coating.

If you have any particular questions, I would answer them to the best of my ability.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
I have the slightly older Leica 8x32 BA which doesn't focus quite as close (gets down to ~8 ft instead of ~6 ft) and which has somewhat inferior color balance (my rather old unit has a greenish bias). It is one of my favorite binoculars of all time. Unlike the full-sized BA/BN models which feel like bricks both in weight and ergonomics, the 8x32 fits my hands beautifully. Only the Swarovski 8x32 EL does as well or better ergonomically. Design and assembly are stunningly refined and solid. For eyeglass wearers the eye relief is minimal. I'm near-sighted and do OK, but it is at my comfort limit. The view is very relaxed--reasonably wide, big sweet spot, easy acquisition of razor sharp focus, modest field curvature, very little astigmatism so edges can be brought to quite sharp focus (just not same time as center). Eye placement is not super critical. Biggest optical weaknesses compared to the current best are its lower transmission, imperfect color neutrality, and existence of a (typical for Leica) generous amount of chromatic aberration.

I have the Zeiss 8x32 FL which I use more often now mainly because of its excellent close focus for butterflies (5 ft). It also has better eye-relief for glasses, has very low CA, is close to color neutral, and is super bright. The Zeiss may seem chunkier but it fits into the tight leather pouch made for the BN, so I find the two interchangeable in packing for travel. Otherwise, I'm not as much a fan of the Zeiss overall. I don't like the way it fits (or rather doesn't fit) my hands and I don't find the view as easy because eye placement is critical, off-axis astigmatism is substantial, and the view doesn't seem as pretty--contrast seems at times to be compromised by an illusory almost imaginary blue hazy veil.

--AP

Last edited:
Just bought a really nice n cheap pair of these bins specifically for Butterflies and Oedenata, when the spring fun is over...

Hello Martin,

If you are near sighted, without your specs you can get even closer to your target.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Greetings. I sold mine only few weeks ago here in the Forum after 14 years or so of use, and I really miss it. The post serial 145xxx provided me with excellent service, and have preferred it over the superb Zeiss 8x32 FL in terms of color saturation, focusing ease and haptics. Vis-a-vis other alphas, I did not find this model lacking in any characteristic, except one. Because I now carry other items in my hikes, weight became an issue, favoring the Ultravid 8x32 model. With proper service (e.g., every 5 or so years to Leica for waterproofing integrity), it should provide many more enjoyable years of service. Enjoy in good health.

ND
I've only owned the 10x42 BAs and 8x32 BNs in the middle (Ultra) Trinovid series. The 10x42 BAs were also a very fine bino and saw a lot of use over a lot of years, but they were sold. Ultimately they didn't fit my needs as well as my 8x32 BNs which are 10 oz. lighter and much smaller, with a wider FOV, and which I still have. In addition to the above Trinovids, I have owned 4 pair of Ultravids and eventually sold them all.

The 8x32 BNs are a drop dead classic IMO. Yeah I know they're not state-of-the-art by today's standards, but they're surprisingly close to my eyes. The minor brightness difference doesn't bother me, the slight CA one might see when looking at Ravens on a wire on a bright overcast day doesn't even reach the level for discussion, again for me. Mine have a 147xxx serial #, FWIW.

What they are is very sharp, easy to focus quickly, fit great in the hand, and instill me with confidence to take/use them anywhere anytime. I quit chasing that last .5% of performance years ago and it was a good choice for me. I also still use Nikon Fieldscopes in both 82mm and 50mm flavors, gasp!

Look at these beauties!

Attachments

• 8x32 1.jpg
    8x32 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 190
  • Leica 8x32 BN 2.jpg
    Leica 8x32 BN 2.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back