• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual raptor in Leyte (Philippines), today (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Today it was raining, I didn't go birding. Just a short opening around 2PM, and went out to breath a bit of fresh air while two very distant raptors passed through the sky toward North-East. First was a second-cal Brahminy Kite, while second was much smaller than the kite but longer wings than Grey-faced Buzzard that I see regularly at that place.

The jizz recalled my a small harrier, but not as slim as Montagu's, rather like a small male of Hen or Northern Harrier.

Checking the pic, I'm stumped by such a strong and contrasting eye-brow.

I guess it is either Eastern Marsh Harrier or Pied Harrier, two potential lifer for me... no experience to ID them with their jizz!

If you can ID indeed, what plumage can show such an eye-brow please?

Help will be much appreciated! And sorry for the horrible pics, it was really far... and in grey clouds... well, you know.

Cheers

Attachments

• raptorsp1bf.jpg
    raptorsp1bf.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 53
Wing formular and jizz look like a typical Grey-faced Buzzard to me. Also the white eyebrow is just
fine. Can't see a Harrier here.

Interesting, thanks, I'm sure you guys are right. What plumage is that then, please? I see wintering Grey-faced Buzzards here, it is actually the most commonly seen raptor on my local patch, they don't have such eye-brow.

Attachments

• Butastur1.jpg
    Butastur1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back