• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treecreeper Listening? (1 Viewer)

Sy V

I was lucky enough to stumble across three Treecreepers at Upton Warren yesterday. I posted a couple of photos on the UW thread last night but revisiting the remainder of the pictures this morning, and concentrating on one that I omitted because the bird's pose looked unnatural, I wonder if I have actually captured (in the third shot) a Treecreeper doing what the Thrush family do and tilting its head to listen for its prey (given the fact that sound travels better through a solid object). All three shots are included. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the bird's behaviour...

Simon

Attachments

• TC1_reduced_filtered.jpg
    TC1_reduced_filtered.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 74
  • TC2_reduced_filtered1.jpg
    TC2_reduced_filtered1.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 72
  • TC3_reduced_filtered1.jpg
    TC3_reduced_filtered1.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I've seen the same pose quite often, Simon, but from a GSW when a Sparrowhawk is in my trees. The GSW usually stops feeding and swings round to the side of the branch and looks up.

No idea if your TC is doing the same though, as birds do use their ears, even if we sometimes forget that they actually have ears|=)|

One thing I have noticed about Treecreepers in my garden is that they prefer to feed close to where the other small birds are feeding although they don't of course use the feeders themselves. Could yours be listening to the other birds?

Pat

Agree with Halftwo...looks like it's in ''freeze'' mode..in response to a possible alarm call from another bird(s), (perhaps explaining the ''sharper'' shot in the 3rd image? ;) ).

cheers

Behaviour of fledglings much as in adults (freezing in Concealing-posture, hiding behind trunk), but may freeze in Bittern-posture (presumed anti-predator response): e.g. in one of 3 records, 4 fledglings changed from creeping along horizontal branch to freezing with bills pointed up.

Source BWP.

May be similar to your birds response.

Have you considered whether this pose is merely a function of the bird climbing up the tree?

In Sibley's regional guides on the Hairy Woodpecker pages there are sketches illustrating how woodpeckers (and other birds with specifically stiffened tail feathers) climb up trees. One of the poses shows the bird's breast and head, plus the tail, pushed against the tree trunk as the bird aims to lift itself higher relative to the stationary legs.

In a bird that has a longish bill (compared to its overall size) to accommodate one can easily imagine the head having to be turned to the side, and then your pose looks very similar to that illustrated in Sibley. I did try to see whether I could find similar sketches online to illustrate this point but I'm afraid I was unsuccessful there.

Andrea

Gosh, I hadn't expected such a thorough response - thanks everyone.
was with two other birders (one of whom was sound recording) and there were (apart from the other 2 TCs) a flock of mixed tits in this and an adjoining tree when the photos were taken. I honestly don't think there was a predator about but, if I had seen these photos without having been there myself, that would have been my reaction/suggestion too. I can ask if there's anything in the background of the recording though.
You will also have noticed that despite my numbering, the photos are out of order (the middle one is actually the first shot), so the bird was in motion (I'll ignore Ken's thinly veiled pop ;)) and stopped (momentarily) to make this pose.
Andrea's climbing input is something I hadn't considered or expected...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back