• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites in Norfolk area (1 Viewer)

Birds 4ever

Is it just me or do non-birders see rare birds you
I've heard that Norfolk is a must-go place for birders - so I begged my dad to take me there:king: this winter, probs in December for 2 days or so.

I think we will be staying in Norwich area so that we can get to the North and the East by car.

But the thing is - I don't really know where to go!
I OBVIOUSLY will be visiting titchwell and snettisham RSPB NRs as well as some smaller ones just east of norwich, but I've heard there's more!

I want to see lots of new birds, mainly waders and ducks but there are birds that only visits the east side of england in winter such as the lapland bunting and shorelark so it would be fab to catch up with those. Also where is the best spot for cranes?

Any other additional sites would be fab as well as must-see and will-see birds there!

Thanks in advance

I've heard that Norfolk is a must-go place for birders - so I begged my dad to take me there:king: this winter, probs in December for 2 days or so.

I think we will be staying in Norwich area so that we can get to the North and the East by car.

But the thing is - I don't really know where to go!
I OBVIOUSLY will be visiting titchwell and snettisham RSPB NRs as well as some smaller ones just east of norwich, but I've heard there's more!

I want to see lots of new birds, mainly waders and ducks but there are birds that only visits the east side of england in winter such as the lapland bunting and shorelark so it would be fab to catch up with those. Also where is the best spot for cranes?

Any other additional sites would be fab as well as must-see and will-see birds there!

Thanks in advance

A brilliant source of information for planning your trip is Stuart White's website www.norfolkbirds.com. It has sections divided by species and site, and also has a regularly updated sightings section.

Its gone a bit quiet for Lapland Buntings at the moment, but some often attach themselves to Snow Bunting flocks at Salthouse. A good place to look for Shorelarks is Holkham Bay (you can combine this with looking at the geese at Holkham Freshmarsh) but there is often some at Snettisham too if you are going there.

In the east Cantley RSPB should have Bean Geese from December, and broads such as Wroxham or Barton should have good amounts of diving ducks. Bearing in mind your short stay, your best bet at seeing Cranes would be to go to the Stubb Mill watchpoint near Hickling Broad one evening. You should see lots of Marsh Harriers, Cranes and Barn Owl, plus possibly Hen Harrier and Merlin. Wrap up warm and wear boots, its along a rough track.

Regards,
James

Also where is the best spot for cranes?

Thanks in advance

Well the best spot for cranes has got to be the raptor roost at Stubb Mill at Hickling NWT reserve.
http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/Wildlife-in-Norfolk/Reserves/Hickling-Broad.aspx

If its like last year you will get double figure numbers of cranes and marsh harriers coming into roost just before dusk.
Also on the coast road between somerton and sea palling can be a good spot to see the same cranes feeding in the fields. You'll have to travel slowly and pull over to scan because they could be distant but I have seen them not more than a hundred yards from the road in groups of a dozen or more.

Cheers David.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back