• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In and around South Staffordshire. (1 Viewer)

On the River Severn at Arley in Worcestershire. Highlight was a raven that flew overhead in an easterly direction. With so many carrion crow around I almost missed it, but was alerted to it when it called. That's the third local raven that I've seen this year so far, two in Staffordshire and this one in Worcestershire.

Also numerous magpie, single jay and to complete the pack saw rook when driving away in the next field up from the river, plus jackdaw a little further on.

Four kingfisher sightings, although they could be duplicates of course. But definitely two separate birds as a pair flew upstream together. Had one bird in the willow right next to where I was sitting.

Pair of little grebe on the river. Usually quite shy, these birds often came right in front of me as they worked the margins on both banks of the river. Other water based birds seen were moorhen and mallard. Lots of hybrids around, which is typical of Arley.

Male great spotted woodpecker on tree on far bank. Lots of black headed gull and a couple of cormorant.

Last edited:
I had a walk around Highgate Common this afternoon and spotted three different pairs of goldcrest in two different areas of the common. One pair were feeding in undergrowth a few feet from where I stood, as a small flock of long tailed tits were busy in the branches above my head.
Nothing else of note.
Still looking for my first siskin, redpoll and fieldfare.

I like Highgate Common. Highlight for me in the summer was a family group of stonechats. It's an excellent place and has so much variety of environment in a reasonably small area.

Haven't seen any siskin or redpoll myself yet, and only a few fieldare.

Played football Saturday morning in Aldridge so took advantage of being there to visit Lime Pits Nature Reserve in Rushall. I had to be back home for an evening appointment so it was literally a flying visit, being there for less than an hour. Walked to the first canal bridge and then back to the car park via the fields and saw 18 species.

I did the same thing last year when I also played football in the area, and on that occasion saw tree sparrow, which is the main reason I returned this year. None seen though, but I was there for such a short time and covered a very small area.

Had good views of a willow tit feeding on berries in a tree by the car park. In fact I watched the bird for a good five minutes. I'm not just interested in a tick and then move on, I often spend quite some time focusing on a particular bird and observing it fully.

Sightings of single common buzzard soaring high over the fields, male sparrowhawk and female kestrel.

Well, maybe not literally then. |:$|

By the way Andy, it was a previous post of yours on the West Mids mailing list that took me to Lime Pits in the first place last year when I saw tree sparrows mentioned.

Last edited:
Decided to concentrate on the feeding station and also the Bag pool area today at Baggeridge. The usual birds were on the feeders. Blue, great and Coal tits, Greenfinch with wren and robin on the floor around the feeders. As I had the camera with me today it was par for the course that the Great spotted Woodpecker (who had been seen 2 or 3 times over the weekend) hadn’t read the script and didn’t show up. There were Moorhen, coot and Mallard on the Bagpool and Goldfinch in the Alders; I saw a small flock of about 6 or7 Redwing fly over, but no Fieldfare. Also there were not any Redpoll or Siskin in any of there usual spots (maybe it is a bit early yet.) Nevertheless I was out and about birding again at last, so it was still a very enjoyable morning

In the Tipton area this morning, so took advantage of that by visiting Sheepwash nature reserve for an hour. In the summer I saw red necked grebe and little ringed plover there, so it's certainly worth a visit to see what is around. On this trip saw a total of 27 birds.

First redpoll of the winter, a couple of birds feeding in alders alongside the main path as you enter the reserve. Watched them for a few minutes to see if other birds would join them but there were just the two. Had a great view though, they presented themselves well.

Counted 25 pochard on the main lake, 9 teal and 7 grey heron. There could well have been more of the ducks, this was not based on an exhaustive search of the lake but a casual one. Single cormorant seen, on a post in the water.

Numerous black headed gull, but no other gull species, although as I was just leaving the reserve I caught a fleeting distant glimpse of either a herring gull or a lesser black backed gull, but couldn't be certain what it was.

Finch species seen were single greenfinch, female bullfinch and several chaffinch.

Pam_m said:
That's great news John! :t:

Yes, echo that.

By the way John, saw my first redpoll of the winter today (two posts back) but not at Baggeridge - at Sheepwash. They should be with you very soon.

Back in the Bushley area of South Worcestershire on the River Severn. The usual suspects featured, you can almost guarantee jay, carrion crow, magpie, rook and jackdaw.

The river itself was very quiet, just a single moorhen and a single little grebe, which was diving along the far bank margins.

Been seeing lots of redwing lately but not many fieldfare. That situation was reversed as numerous fieldfare were spotted, largest flock was 28 birds passing overhead.

One great spotted woopecker, but at such a distance wasn't able to sex the bird.

Set off this morning for a walk around Baggeridge. However, opening the trunk of the car I realised I had not got my boots in there. And with recent heavy rain I wasn't even going to consider walking around in sneakers.

However, rather than waste the opportunity I decided to head for Red Lane, near Gospel End Village, where there is at least a tarmac road for half the length of the lane. It's not that long but better than nothing.

Ended up seeing 20 species so it just goes to show how much variety there is in a small area if we really look hard. I'm sure most non-birders would be surprised to think of so many different birds in such a short distance - even ambling along I was back at the car within 45 minutes.

Had a great view of a mistle thrush singing high in a tree. In fact with the mild weather and other birds singing, you could have been excused if you thought it was a spring day rather than one on the edge of winter.

Three lesser black backed gull flew overhead. Numerous black headed gull, the water works at the bottom of the lane is a focal point for them.

Full compliment of pigeons and doves - wood pigeon, feral pigeon, stock dove and collared dove.

No fieldfare seen but numerous redwing, largest flock c.25 birds.

The top pool in the lane is now back up to normal levels after the rain and the pair of moorhen were seen on there, feeding in the margins. It's such a small pond but I still keep thinking that I may see a snipe one day, it looks like one ought to put in an appearance!

As with last Tuesday I found myself in the Tipton area and decided to visit Sheepwash nature reserve again. These enclaves of greenery and water are literal lifelines for wildlife in an otherwise pretty unfriendly concrete conurbation. There for just 1.25 hours and mostly focusing on the main body of water.

Didn't count them but numerous pochard, certainly in excess of a dozen, mostly gathered together in one group but the odd bird elsewhere on the lake. Four little grebe, could have been more but this was the minimum definite count.

Five grey heron perched on the main island on the lake, just as my last visit, except on that occasion there were seven. Couple of cormorant, saw one swallow a common carp of about eight ounces, certainly a feat that doesn't look possible until the bird turns the fish and it disappears in one.

Single male bullfinch gave excellent views as it fed on the gravel path. It then flew into a bush before finally disappearing out of sight. Didn't notice any other birds with it. Spent time watching it though, I do love bullfinches. Great birds and even though some birders may not give them a second look, I always stop and watch them when I am fortunate enough to come across one or more.

At Molineux tonight to watch Wolves play and walking through the city centre was pleased to see the winter roost of pied wagtail has arrived. The trees where they roost are in the pedestrian area that contains the Wolves club shop and M&S (I just forget now the name of the street).

A conservative guess was about 350 birds in four trees. The trees themselves are decorated with Christmas tree lights but it doesn't seem to bother the birds at all.

Had some funny looks from passers-by as I was standing there with my daughter looking up at the trees. Most of them probably thought I had a bit of a strange passion with fairy lights...

Near Bushley on the River Severn in Worcestershire. I usually park right by the river but recent floods meant I had to put the car some distance away and walk (I was there fishing). As a result saw a flock of 9 meadow pipit on a field that has recently had the tractor through it. Also estimated 40 pied wagtail on the field.

Lots of gulls around, predominantly the usual black headed gull but also numerous lesser black backed gull and several herring gull and great black backed gull. It's not far from the coast anyway and the SW winds no doubt brought a few extra birds in. Only been visiting the area since the middle of June and that's my first great black backed gull from there.

Also saw my first site bullfinch, a single male in a distant tree. Several chaffinch around.

A morning walk on the public footpath that goes from the A449 near Wombourne to Gospel End Village, along 'the ridge'. It's a favourite place of mine and one that I always leave thinking 'I must do that more often'.

Flock of c.80 chaffinch feeding in the field at the bottom of the lane near the A449. This is a good spot for winter finch flocks, also a few goldfinch in with them and a single greenfinch. Could have been others, the birds were not always visible whilst on the floor, only able to count when they flew.

Three red legged partridge, seen in a field off the ridge, on the Penn side. Also three common buzzard, two perched and just the one in flight, which was quite low. None of the usual high soaring and calling birds that you see so often on this walk. Single kestrel seen.

No fieldfare, but numerous redwing, largest group c.40 birds. Total birds seen - 23 species.

This morning at Baggeridge there was a single siskin feeding in an alder near Bag Pool, alongside a pair of goldfinch. The siskin is a first for me so I'm well chuffed.
There were a number of bullfinch in bushes near the feeders and greenfinch in the usual hangouts, otherwise it was quiet.

Back to Bushley in Worcestershire for me today. Had a couple of sightings that I couldn't quite positively id and if I am not 100% sure then I don't include them. First up was a flock of what I was sure were goosander flying past. Didn't see them properly though and also they were at a distance. Secondly spotted an owl very briefly on the far bank while dark. Only just caught the outline against the sky so couldn't be sure whether it was a barn owl or a tawny owl. No sounds either so couldn't even pursue that angle.

Did manage 23 species though, which is quite good for a few hours rooted in one spot. (I was fishing on the River Severn). Lots of gulls, including common gull which I didn't see on my last visit. Other gull species were lesser black backed gull, great black backed gull and numerous black headed gull.

Birds of prey were common buzzard, which is pretty much guaranteed for the area and a single male sparrowhawk, which landed in the tree right next to me. As soon as it became aware of my presence though, it was off.

A short morning stroll (1.25 hours) around Whites Wood, Baggeridge this morning. You hear people moaning about the central part of the country and how we don't get to see the birds that they do in other parts. Call me easily pleased, but I thoroughly enjoy every birding trip and to me there is no such thing as a 'normal' bird, they are all special. Hence, today, although I didn't see anything that would get the twitchers twitching, it was an enjoyable experience and that's what really counts.

A pair of redwing in the wood and numerous blackbird, both inside and along the hedges bordering. Also heard a distant mistle thrush singing but although I scanned the treeline, couldn't make it out.

Lots of jackdaw around, 3 in the wood and 16 in the field adjacent to Lydiates Hill. Probably more than the 19 but that was the maximum seen at one time. Also a pair of jay, and several magpie and carrion crow.

Tit species seen were: blue tit, long tailed tit, great tit and a single coal tit.

On the Lower Severn again near Bushley in Worcestershire. I don't keep site records, but I did see my first lapwing for the area since I have been visiting from June this year. There were 4 of them flying overhead.

Lots of gulls around. As well as the prolific black headed gull saw great black backed gull and lesser black backed gull. At one stage a flock of c.70 great black backed gull flew directly overhead and as they were battling very strong SW winds they were almost hanging in the sky and I got excellent views.

The recent heavy rains have created a pool on the flood plain meadow adjacent to the river and at one stage c.200 gulls were in residence. This was approximately 50/50 black headed gull and great black backed gull, with a few lesser black backed gull present.

Later, the black headed gull departed and new arrivals of black backed gulls again took the tally up to c.200. They all left later in the afternoon to roost.

Flock of starling c.120 birds in the area all afternoon. Watching them in flight reminded me of a kaleidoscope, as you turn it the bits all switch to a different pattern. It's a fascinating sight, a simple bird but a delight to watch in a moving flock. And just like a snowflake, no pattern is ever the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back