• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuuksio Forest, Finland (1 Viewer)

RecoveringScot

Webcam in a rather forbidding environment, with multiple Crested Tit action earlier today. Also seen Great & Blue Tits And Great Spotted Woodpecker, but who knows what you might see here (some years ago Grey-headed Woodpecker came to visit). There are two Crested Tits in this screengrab (check the feeders):

Attachments

• Nuuksio Forest.jpg
    Nuuksio Forest.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 45
After four days of trying, I finally saw some birds: 2-3 very vocal Crested Tits, one each of Blue, Great and Coal Tit. Smart!

John

Finally caught up with the repeatedly claimed by the website Great Spotted Woodpecker today (four tit species but still no Willow) and Bank Vole popping out of a snowhole to take dropped seeds.

John

Finally caught up with the repeatedly claimed by the website Great Spotted Woodpecker today (four tit species but still no Willow) and Bank Vole popping out of a snowhole to take dropped seeds.

John
I've seen Willow on both the Czech 'Makov' camera and the Polish one I started a thread on, however I haven't seen one on this cam yet, like you. Goldcrest has been claimed several times but checking the times I couldn't spot it. It's actually several decades since I last saw Willow Tit in the wild (in Dumfriesshire). I learned recently that the Scottish population has declined in a big way, sadly.

I've seen Willow on both the Czech 'Makov' camera and the Polish one I started a thread on, however I haven't seen one on this cam yet, like you. Goldcrest has been claimed several times but checking the times I couldn't spot it. It's actually several decades since I last saw Willow Tit in the wild (in Dumfriesshire). I learned recently that the Scottish population has declined in a big way, sadly.
I don't rate the software that is claiming stuff, I assume on call. IMHO it is failing to identify all Coal Tit calls correctly and that is why it keeps claiming Treecreeper and Goldcrest.

Cheers

John

The Polish one might be a Marsh Tit: dusky cheek and no pale wing panel, although it's hard to say if picture quality hasn't played a role in my ID assessment. Luckily--on the whole--Willow Tit isn't as rare here as it is in Scotland.

The Polish one might be a Marsh Tit: dusky cheek and no pale wing panel, although it's hard to say if picture quality hasn't played a role in my ID assessment. Luckily--on the whole--Willow Tit isn't as rare here as it is in Scotland.
Well the Willow was showing very well yesterday (unusually it didn't just do a grab and run this time). Can't say I've seen anything resembling Marsh Tit so far.

Roe Deer at the feeders today is the fourth mammal species: Great and Crested Tits plus Great Spotted Woodpecker also showing well.

John

Roe Deer at the feeders today is the fourth mammal species: Great and Crested Tits plus Great Spotted Woodpecker also showing well.

John
It's tough watching this cam though. Inexplicably it spends lots of time moving to spots where I have have not seen anything at all living moving. Still, not much else to do in January in rubbish weather we're having just now.

It's tough watching this cam though. Inexplicably it spends lots of time moving to spots where I have have not seen anything at all living moving. Still, not much else to do in January in rubbish weather we're having just now.
I think there's a movement sensor, I've seen it home in on a spider! It has a routine but probably also picks up waving branches, falling snow lumps etc.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back