• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why not make your own adapter?????????? (1 Viewer)

new version

The tab wasn't working well, took too much time to adjust, even after I had it dialed in pretty close. so, back to the drawing board...

Or, more correctly, back to JohnJos' design. To save the expense and time (I'm in the instant-gratification generation) of ordering the Hong Kong adapter, I went and got two L-brackets (for building corners), drilled out 5/16th holes to fit my 1/4" bolts and knob (OSH hardware department). The oversized holes give me enough room to center the camera lens perfectly. I'm sure you could use a dremel tool to cut slots into the L-brackets if needed to adjust to a camera with greater offset between the lens and the tripod mount.

I've found that the best way to get the distance between camera and eyepiece lens is to use a combination of three things: my screw eyecup, the zoom on the camera, and the zoom on the scope's eyepiece. Between the three, I can minimize vingetting.

Attachments

• IMG_5877.jpg
    IMG_5877.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_5884.jpg
    IMG_5884.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_5879.JPG
    IMG_5879.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Folks,
As an update to my adapter design presented earlier in this thread, I found that the PVC reducer I used to connect my scope's eyepiece to my camera adapter also fits nicely on the eyecup of my Zeiss FL 8x42 bins. I need to extent the eyecup fully to get proper focus, but that where I use them anyway.

Unfortunately the nylon screws I use to tighten the adapter to my scope eyepiece do not tighten it onto the bin's eyecup. But I could use long screws for that purpose. I have them, I just haven't tested them out yet.

Here's a couple of quick pics I took that way last weekend using this setup.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102298

I had my scope with me in my backpack but I didn't think the hawk would hang around long enough for me to set up. So I took these two shots real quick through my bins on a long shot it would work. Then I started setting up my scope and the hawk flew away as soon as I looked down to start unpacking. Luckily I had the two bin photos to help ID the hawk (with the help of BF experts).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back