• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My homebuild moth traps, and what i have been catching in them so far (1 Viewer)

Not so many moths in my two traps this night- another Softly`s shoulder-knot, a December moth female (nr 16 of this species in my traps this autumn so far..). But what really made me take a deep breath when I was looking into my trap was two spectacular specimen;
Xylena vetusta- Red swordgrass
Phlogophora meticulosa- Angel shades.

What great fun this hobby is, and it keeps on giving new surprises when looking into the moth-trap in the morning.

Attachments

• Xylena vetusta3.jpg
    Xylena vetusta3.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Phlogophora meticulosa2.jpg
    Phlogophora meticulosa2.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
What great fun this hobby is, and it keeps on giving new surprises when looking into the moth-trap in the morning.

Hi Svein, I totally agree with you. I read somewhere that each morning when looking in the trap it feels like opening a birthday present. This is my first year of using a moth trap, there are always surprises and it becomes very addictive! You've caught some fine moths, many unknown to me. Good pics too, I like your Angle Shades, a favourite of mine.

Nerine

Hi Nerine, and thanks for a nice reply. I started to build my own trap in the beginning of august, and was ready to start using it in the middle of august- so I am totally new to this myself. And Your describtion of the excitement checking the traps in the mornig gives- "each morning when looking in the trap it feels like opening a birthday present" -is spot on! Like a child`s dream come true- celebrating his birthday every day! The Angle shades was a really nice one, probably the most spectacular looking one I have got so far- in my opinion. It is also nice to see that even tough I had snow here for about a month ago- new species and surprises keep turning up. Already looking forward to tomorrow morning...;)

This morning gave also another new "birthday present" for me:

Lithophane socia (hepatica)- Pale Pinion

Attachments

• 2007_10050004.JPG
    2007_10050004.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 169
As a update to this thread I would like to show You all a small trap building project I have been working on these last days- yes, it is 1,2m with snow outside, and no moths flying at all....:cat:. I really want a trap to put out in the forest and remote locations, a trap that can stand alone without too bright light and no noise from a generator. A trap that i can place wherever I want and that runs on some type of battery power. Something like a heath trap. I have rebuilt the first and smallest trap I made to use two 12V UV-LED lights, and this setup can run on eight 1,5V AA batteries. I also have a 12V 7Ah battery to use for longer field trips.

I cant tell if this is a good idea yet- since I havent heard about anyone else trying these 12V UV LED`s. I will give them a try and keep You updated during the coming season.

A few photos of the trap added.

SveinB

Attachments

• LED1.jpg
    LED1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 535
  • LED2.jpg
    LED2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 669
  • LED3.jpg
    LED3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 367
  • LED4.jpg
    LED4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 327
You are certainly inventive, Svein. I wish I had your building skills!
It will be interesting to see whether you catch anything. I know that some people have been experimenting with LED lights but I haven't heard that they had much success.
One of the possible problems with your design is that the light is not seen much from certain angles. I think that the most effective traps have bulbs that can be seen from all angles. But you've nothing to lose by trying it out.
Ken

Hi Ken, and thanks for good advices- again.

The best solution would probably be to have the LED`s pointing out in 3 or 4 directions, to give better effect. The type of LED`s I have is not so suitable for doing that. I use 2 LED lamps on this trap.

I gave the trap clear vanes, and made it complete for use now. I really look forward to see if these LED`s attract anything at all.

I add a few photos again.

Svein

Attachments

• DSC_7516-01.jpg
    DSC_7516-01.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC_7518-01.jpg
    DSC_7518-01.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_7519-01.jpg
    DSC_7519-01.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
As a uptdate to this moth trap building thread i must tell that my LED light dont seem to be effective. Instead I used the clear cone to rebuild another trap, and the result is shown in the photo below. The bulb I use is a Arcadia D3 reptile lamp. It is a 23w compact fluorecent with 30% UVA and 10% UVB. It has given good catches so far this spring- about the same as my 160w MBTF bulb.

Svein B

Attachments

• DSCN0026.JPG
    DSCN0026.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 468
  • DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0029.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 321
A new trap building project is almost finished now. It is a large trap for GES (E-40) bulb holder and brighter light. To use in the brightest summer weeks here in Norway, when the night is never dark.
A 90 liter (Ø 64 cm) bucket, with plywood top, and a Ø 44 cm funnel. The bulb holder is not ready yet, but it will be adjustable in height to be used with different types of bulbs.

Another modification to one of my other traps is also ready, by a second battery powered top with two 12V UV cold cathode tubes, at 30 cm length. I know this light is used with quite good results by others- but I will tell You what I think when I have used mine over a periode.

Here in my part of Norway the weather is terrible for moth trapping now- temperatures in daytime seldom reach over 6-8 degrees, and the nights are clear and freezing cold. A bright fullmoon does not make things better. But hopefully the weather will get better soon.

Svein B

Attachments

• stor1.jpg
    stor1.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 275
  • stor2.jpg
    stor2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 326
  • stor3.jpg
    stor3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 292
  • katode.jpg
    katode.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 319
  • katode1.jpg
    katode1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 350
Hi Ken.

Both these traps have a traditional funnel- where the moths come in trough the center hole in the bottom of the funnel. In photo nr 3 (stor3.jpg) the funnel is turned upside down to show a little thing i have added to it, it is a plastic tube extention, with a smaller diameter in the lower part. Hopefully to make it more difficult for the moths to escape from the trap. The other trap has the same type of funnel and tube extention to it, only in a smaller size.

The meaning with this extention is that it blends the light coming down the funnel to a small spot in center of the trap bottom. It also means the moths have to be near this center spot to see any light from the bulb- and it seems that the moths dont try to fly up again through the funnel opening so easily then.

I hope this explenation is to be understood, sorry for my poor english.

Svein B

Thanks for the explanation, Svein. Your English is quite clear!
My only question is whether you have made the entrance to the trap a bit too tight... I appreciate that it is a large trap but looking at the photo is looks as if the moths have to squeeze through quite a small gap to get into the trap. What happens when you get a convolvulus hawkmoth... will it get stuck?!
All the best
Ken

Hi Ken, I understand Your concern about the entrance hole, but it is not as tight as it looks. It is about 6 cm at the tightest on the large trap, and about 5 cm on the small trap. I use the same size for the entrance on my other traps too, and I have been standing beside the trap watching quite large species like Kentish glory pop right into the trap. Does not seem to be too tight. But- the funnel on this large trap is in a bit flatter shape (not so deep) and I will not say how this works before it has been used for some time.

Anyway, there is not that many very large species here either- and I would rather loose one Convolvulus, than having lots of other smaller moths escaping from the trap- if I have too choose. Hopefully the trap will get them all ;)

Svein B

Last edited:
My large trap is now finished, here is a few photos of it placed in my garden. The bulb is a Envirolite 120w blue.

By the way, the battery operated UV cold cathode trap seems to work well too, and has given much better results the last nights than 125w MV and the other types of lights that I use.

Svein B

Attachments

• storfelle2.jpg
    storfelle2.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 496
  • storfelle3.jpg
    storfelle3.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 326
Lovely to see your 'oppland' scenery, Svein.
Have you tried this trap with veins? It might make it more effective.
If you happen to visit the UK, let me know and I'll borrow your trap-building skills ;)
Ken

HI again Ken.

And thanks- the scenery is from my garden, and I like the view myself too- a good place to live when You like nature.

Actually, I have used the trap for only two nights- the first one with not so many moths in any of my traps- and the blue/UV-light seemed to work best that night.

Tonight this new trap gave a few moths, not so many- but a few good ones- You can read more about that in the "May 2008 moths"-thread.

In the beginning i will try the trap without veins, but maybe I decide to add them at a later moment. Must see if the light source attracts well, and how the trap design works too first. And I will let You know if I am going to visit UK Ken, but be sure You have plenty of trash in Your garage then- because that is what most of my traps actually are made of.. ;) And let me know if You visit Norway too- maybe a large "trash-trap" can fit into Your suitcase..? ;)

Svein B

The UV Cold cathode tubes has proven to be very effective for attracting moths- and are perfect for battery operated moth trapping. They are cheap, they run on 12V- with very low power consumption, they are available in different shapes and sizes, and have longe lifetime (it is said). And as they seemed to work well to I decided to build a dedicated trap for use with this kind of light.

I used a bucket that takes about 40 litres, a 25 cm funnel, some 3mm acryl for vane(s)- and a small funnel for drainage in the bottom of the trap. The light is two 120mm "Sunbeam" UV Cold cathode tubes- made for modding computers. The type I use here is ment to be placed over the PC's cooling fan- and is easy to mount on the trap with screws. One tube on each side of the vane.

Four of these tubes (enough for two traps) costs about 12 GBP. The tube set comes complete with inverter, cables and power switch. Soldering and a little DIY skills is needed- but it is not complicated at all.

Attachments

• DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCN0023.jpg
    DSCN0023.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back