• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Bluebird nesting behavior (1 Viewer)

The Merlin

I looked in one of my Bluebird Boxes this morning and found a whole bunch of small green vegation in the box??? I've seen my Bluebirds do this before, though not with as much vegation, about two weeks before they nest?? Why do they do this?? Is it to freshen up the box or something??

It may be Chickadees trying to take over your Bluebird's box. Every year the Chickadees and Bluebirds battle for my three boxes. The Chickadees use that green moss to build their nests. It is unusual, though, for the Chickadees to start their nest building before the Bluedirds can claim the box

I read somewhere that the male will bring a reed of grass or something, into the nestbox. If the female brings it out and drops it, she doesn't accept the home. Otherwise she builds her nest.

Strange nesting behavior

The Merlin said:
I looked in one of my Bluebird Boxes this morning and found a whole bunch of small green vegation in the box??? I've seen my Bluebirds do this before, though not with as much vegation, about two weeks before they nest?? Why do they do this?? Is it to freshen up the box or something??

Are you sure a carolina chickadee isn't also trying to nest.....????
I have had that happen (green mossy vegetation).The bluebirds often win and build with pine straw. I have seen bluebirds build on top of an active chickadee nest(in a bluebird house).

Jean :cool:

I had a bit of a war the last two years between the Chickadees and Bluebirds over this one box. Now this year it started as usual but this time the Chickadee won that one box and the Bluebirds moved over to the other box. So far peace is reigning. ;)

Yours sound more like a chickadee nesting material.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back