• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The view from my office window. (1 Viewer)

Andy Ledger

Falling into disrepair
I recently decided to start an office list - just to make the working day more meaningful - and being in the middle of a town, it's not that long. Mostly I see feral pigeons and Black headed Gulls, but there have been highlights - Starlings coming in to roost on the roof just above me (I work on the top floor) or watching large numbers of House Martins heading South recently.

Yesterday was a good day, though. At about 5 pm I was idly looking out of the window and I saw a bird. My initial reaction was 'pigeon', which it usually is. Instead of flapping up and descending with that raised wing thing they do - it just went 'flap, flap, flap, glide', which had me scurrying for my 'work' bins. Sparrowhawk!!! Even better: when I left work, it flew over my head at rooftop height on the way back to the car park. In the space of a week, I've gone from thinking that I've seen all the birds I'm likely to see from the office, to seeing a Jay, a Sparrowhawk and hearing a Green Woodpecker. Maybe I won't ask for a transfer to somewhere more rural JUST yet!

Like you Andy I am in an office near a town centre but I have managed to amass 57 species recorded from this unpromising location in 3 or 4 years. Just added Skylark yesterday. Most are fly overs of course but there are still some goodies, e.g. Pink-footed Goose, Goosander, Red Kite, Buzzard, Hobby and Woodcock. Sparrowhawks are almost daily.

Can certainly help to brighten up a dull day at work.

I look out over the formal gardens of the Lodge. I have a fair patch of sky too. Whereas I can't beat Brian's impressive 57 species, 40 miles up the A1, I have seen 50. Hightlights are Osprey, Waxwing, Brambling, Crossbill and most recently Raven. We had a pair hanging around in early srping. Perhaps best but not that unexpected, was Firecrest. Last year, four different Firecrests were ringed here! It was only a matter of time before one landed in the conifer outside the window...

I used to work in the centre of Bristol where I had a very restricted view. My office list was dire. The only decent bird on it was a totally out-of-place Pied Flycatcher which turned up one June day, flitting around the wall of a hotel opposite.

My current office is more productive and has some good birds on it, though my 56 is still behind Brian: Office List. Now if only I could get a Lesser Black-backed Gull. Or if only I'd been looking up at the right time when a Red Kite flew over the nearby university.

You are all very lucky!

I look out onto another office about 20ft away from my window. If I crane my neck and put my nose on the glass (and it's a clear day) I can just make out the ruin of Riber Castle, but as far as birds go, it's pigeons on the opposite office roof!

Andy Ledger said:
I recently decided to start an office list - just to make the working day more meaningful - and being in the middle of a town, it's not that long. Mostly I see feral pigeons and Black headed Gulls, but there have been highlights - Starlings coming in to roost on the roof just above me (I work on the top floor) or watching large numbers of House Martins heading South recently.

Yesterday was a good day, though. At about 5 pm I was idly looking out of the window and I saw a bird. My initial reaction was 'pigeon', which it usually is. Instead of flapping up and descending with that raised wing thing they do - it just went 'flap, flap, flap, glide', which had me scurrying for my 'work' bins. Sparrowhawk!!! Even better: when I left work, it flew over my head at rooftop height on the way back to the car park. In the space of a week, I've gone from thinking that I've seen all the birds I'm likely to see from the office, to seeing a Jay, a Sparrowhawk and hearing a Green Woodpecker. Maybe I won't ask for a transfer to somewhere more rural JUST yet!

Some of us don't have the time to stare out of the window, Andy :)!

David

My last office window faced onto a sort of large court yard with a few trees. In winter there was a Pied Wagtail roost. You'd get hundreds of the beggers chiswicking away as night fell.

Now I'm reduced to the odd kestrel and occassional heron fly-over. I don't hold out much hope for a list over 20.

My best was a beautiful red shouldered hawk (I think female by the size) that hung around quite a bit last winter through spring. One afternoon she was pecking at her reflecton at ground level in one of our windows - spectacular view. I've seen her once in late summer this year. Also bush tits, scub jays, crows, have heard woodpeckers but not spotted them.

I look out over a few trees next to a two lane area of car park, a freeway ramp and then the freeway. But on the other sides of the building are a large apartment complex with lots of trees and then the American River parkway, which is just teeming with wildlife, and other office buildings (none more than 3 levels) with lots of trees, bushes. and grass. We also have a small flock of resident chickens that migrated from the University campus just down the road (the large campus flock was eliminated this summer by our new University president, who didn't think that chickens running around were appropriate. Claim is that none were killed - just allowed/encouraged to be caught and taken home...).

By mid-December I'll be moved into an interior office with NO windows. Aargh! But maybe I'll start getting out more, since in the past I've really suffered working in a windowless office. Barbara

David FG said:
Some of us don't have the time to stare out of the window, Andy :)!

David

Oh, I don't have time - but if I didn't let my attention wander from time to time I'd go crazy! (A more accurate version of that is probably 'If I didn't let my attention wander from time to time, I'd never get any work done')

Andy Ledger said:
Oh, I don't have time - but if I didn't let my attention wander from time to time I'd go crazy! (A more accurate version of that is probably 'If I didn't let my attention wander from time to time, I'd never get any work done')

Ok, you've convinced me, but would El Supremo swallow that?

David

View From My Home Office Window

I don't have an on-going list but the picture of the Sharp-shinned Hawk was taken through my home office window. The Sharpie stayed around for 10 days and the only evidence of a kill was the remains of a Starling.

Attachments

• Sharp-shinned Hawk.jpg
    Sharp-shinned Hawk.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 114
I may not see much from my office window, but my job also involves driving round rural Derbyshire, this is what I've seen from my mobile office (car) window today:

Wren 1
Kingfisher 2
Tree sparrow 2
House sparrow 10+
Rooks 30+
Crow 10+
Blue tit 5
Great tit 5
Coal tit 2
LT tit flock 10+
Blackbird 1
Kestrel 2
Goldcrest 2 (or the same one twice)
Treecreeper 1
Buzzard 1 (came and parked itself on a tree right in front of the car! I
could see the yellow on it's bill and it's very pale,almost white bib)
Buzzard 4 (up together, one being harrassed by a Corvid and two
talon grappling)
BH Gull 10+
Nuthatch 1
Chaffinch 1
Robin 5
Grey heron 2
Mallard 4
Lapwing 7
Goldfinch 20+
Cormorant 1
GC Grebe 2

I'm getting to know the best places to park up and 'write up my work notes'!
This work lark isn't bad after all! ;)

That's cheating! If I included things seen from vehicles while at work I could include Great Northern Diver, Coot, Greylag and Brent Geese, Barn Owl, Kestrel, Green, Great and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Turtle Dove, Red necked Grebe, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Mallard, Shelduck, Dunlin, Curlew, Song Thrush, Skylark, Pheasant, Red Legged Partridge, Grey Partridge, Canada Goose and a lot more. Office means static room in big building! No cheating!

We had a Blue Tit in the factory yesterday,
took about 3 hours to convince it to leave.
My 'office' looks out into the factory,
so my list is pretty poor.

1... Blue Tit

Dave

Andy Ledger said:
That's cheating! If I included things seen from vehicles while at work I could include Great Northern Diver, Coot, Greylag and Brent Geese, Barn Owl, Kestrel, Green, Great and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Turtle Dove, Red necked Grebe, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Mallard, Shelduck, Dunlin, Curlew, Song Thrush, Skylark, Pheasant, Red Legged Partridge, Grey Partridge, Canada Goose and a lot more. Office means static room in big building! No cheating!

I'm afraid we cant all be suits Andy !
I work in the building trade and as a result I have no windows to stare out of only roofs to look from.
I have found literally hundreds of Waxwings as a result (ears primed waiting for first trill of the winter) and also such goodies as Osprey, Xbills and Peregrines.
Havent worked out my work list yet but my best find was a 3yr Glaucous Gull in Port Seton harbour opposite the house I was working in.
I was just about to sit down for my lunch when it flew past the window to a shout of "White winger" much to the bemusement of my work mates.
I ran outside and preeceded to throw my lunch out for the bird as it gave crippling views, went back indoors very happy but after half an hour I was starving and also skint !!
The ironic thing is that I had been checking this harbour for years with friends looking for white winged Gulls without any joy and the only day i'm working next to it I find one. :bounce:

I'll have to start doing this. My office looks onto a patch of land before a retail park. It is however, a bit like an oasis. Regularly see bullfinches, a pair today in fact; a wren hopping along the fence looking for spiders; jay in one of the trees. Something to build on.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back