• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bird in Texas (1 Viewer)

TorchBCT

This bird was seen in the dusk and is not really a very good pic....but if you could tell me anything it would be helpful.

Not much to go on here Brandon but I do see pinkish legs and what looks like white outer tail feathers.My Guess....................Vesper Sparrow

Kevin.

I got a quick glimpse of the head of the bird in horrible lighting and all I could tell was that it was patterned simnilar to a Savannah Sparrow, but not quite the same.

Good call Vesper Sparrow...Sibley even refers to similar streaking to Savannah Sparrow.
One of the few 'dips' on my recent visit to Cape May, unfortunately.

Well since the decision is unanimous I'll put it down as Vesper. Could someone tell me how to differentiate between it and Savannah.

Thanks for the help,

For one thing, Vesper Sparrow has white outer tail feathers, while Savanna doesn't. Except I just noticed that Sibley says that some Western populations have obvious pale outer tail feathers. But the outer tail feathers are bright white, not pale in my opinion.

Don't laugh... since it may well be a vesper sparrow... but if this was in the UK I'd be thinking Meadow Pipit.. any chance it might be a Sprague's Pipit? It appears to have very pipity feet!

What is going on with the hind toe then.... sparrows/buntings usually wrap them round and grip with them.... its a pipit thing to leave the long-clawed hind toe sticking out when on a twig/wire!

Curious!

Attachments

• feet.JPG
    feet.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
What is going on with the hind toe then.... sparrows/buntings usually wrap them round and grip with them.... its a pipit thing to leave the long-clawed hind toe sticking out when on a twig/wire!

Curious!

Like some others had mentioned, when I first saw the beast I thought Vesper Sparrow, generally dismissing Sprague's Pipit (even though it came to mind) based almost solely on the fact that it was perched up. That said and acknowledging that it is extremely rare to see the latter perched off the ground, if this were a Pipit it would be a Sprague's with those bright pink legs. However, when you see a Sprague's face you are usually always struck by the seemingly over-sized dark eye. Do you recall noting that?!?....... They do have a really large eye as compared to their head size. It's even notable in flight.

Best,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL

I ruled out Pipits due to the streaking way down under the flanks which I believe is barely visible in Jane's picture. Also after finding my Sibley's, the facial pattern I saw more closely resembles the Savannah-Vesper sparrow group than any other.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back