• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ken Kaufman's new "Kaufman Field Guide to Advanced Birding" (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Kenn Kaufman's new "Kaufman Field Guide to Advanced Birding"

It's listed as in stock at Amazon, though this link says pub date is April 19: http://www.kaufmanfieldguides.com/Advanced.htm

It's a follow-up to his 1990 Peterson "Advanced Birding" guide, but looks as though it's more than an update, but a different book intended to appeal to a wider audience. Hope that doesn't mean it waters down the "advanced" aspects of the original guide (which I thought was very good), but just adds more material that would also be relevant to those not seeking an "advanced" guide. But the discussion at the link above does seem to suggest that the detailed discussion of specific ID problems has been eliminated from the guide.

The original guide was and remains a very useful compendium of extended treatment of difficult ID problems. A lot of the info is otherwise scattered in various journal articles and across the internet. One thing that sounds like a definite improvement over the previous edition is the addition of many photos. The line drawings in the 1990 version were not quite sufficient to get the most one could out of the text.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
The first third of the book is more of a synopsis of field ornithology, from feather structure and molt to general ID principles. And the color photos are indeed very nice.

The rest of the book still covers difficult groups, though not as many as the original guide (the chickadees, for example, have been cut). I haven't gone through the family sections very extensively yet, so I can't give much of a comparison with the first edition. But the flycatcher section looks very extensive. Most of the empids have an entire page filled with photos and comments, as well as extensive text.

Review & sample pages of Kaufman's new "Advanced Birding"

I've posted a review of Kaufman's new book along with five sample pages on my bird book website (Avian Review). Just click on the book's cover to go directly to the review. The link is...HERE.

Overall, the book takes a different approach than the 1990 "Advanced Birding" book regarding identification. While still providing detailed ID information on some (but fewer) species, the book's focus seems to be more holistic. It reviews the broader aspects of a bird to be examined in each of the selected groupings.

Jack

I've posted a review of Kaufman's new book along with five sample pages on my bird book website (Avian Review). Just click on the book's cover to go directly to the review. The link is...HERE.

When I go to that page I can only see a link asking me to sign in to my google account to see the review. I'm not prepared to enter my password on an unknown web page at this point.

Found the review without having to sign in here: http://avianreview.blogspot.com/

I am underwhelmed by the reports of the book so far. I was hoping the new version would cover more species not fewer. Sounds like much of it is targeted at intermediate rather than advanced birders.

Best,
Jim

I am underwhelmed by the reports of the book so far. I was hoping the new version would cover more species not fewer. Sounds like much of it is targeted at intermediate rather than advanced birders.

Best,
Jim

Such a pity. There were a few years where the old version was the gold standard for a bird book for me.

Niels

Review documents modified for "all access"

When I go to that page I can only see a link asking me to sign in to my google account to see the review. I'm not prepared to enter my password on an unknown web page at this point.

You are quite justified for the sign-in apprehension. I've modified the "access" setting on all my documents in hopes this will allow anyone complete access. In case you still have difficulties, this link should open the document directly...
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddgnc3ts_2184g7xqfjg9

Jack

Here's my review of Kaufman Field Guide to Advanced Birding. Like Jim, I was initially disappointed that this new one covered fewer species in-depth than the previous edition. But the family overviews are really good. Some will be useful only for newer/intermediate birders. For instance, the seabird chapter will be useful most to someone who has never been on a pelagic. That said, it is a really good preparation for a first trip. But some, like the warblers, go into territory that isn't covered elsewhere. Kaufman describes the two types of warbler songs very nicely, including simple sonograms. I don't recall seeing such a good description of this anywhere else.

Though the chapters dealing with species-level issues have been taken mostly from the prior book, the addition of color photos is most welcome. The empid chapter (40 pages long!) is exceptional.

Altogether, I'd agree that intermediate birders will get the most from the book. But anyone can learn from Kaufman.

I just won a copy on facebook through the Black Swamp Bird Observatory. Haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet, but hopefully soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back