• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (7 Viewers)

You've definitely headed in the right direction with the spotshanks, the third bird was needed. The comp sketch of the 3 birds is a great little drawing in its own right. And the barn owl is a stunningly original view of a bird featured in millions of pictures.

Lovely atmosphere, lovely light, lovely colours, lovely grouping of lovely birds. What more could anyone ask...

Mike

Hello all- back to my old messy sketching habits with this one. Down to the river where a moulting Dunlin roosting amongst the bricks left from an old Victorian garden now overrun by the tide. Stayed just long enough to be caught in the rain and to be overflown by an Osprey that has been knocking about on the farm for a week but until now avoiding me. So a very nice outing.

Attachments

• DSC_0009 copy.jpg
    DSC_0009 copy.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 93
Brickwork exploding from the main character, fully and deservedly centre-stage. Fab drawing. Well done on the osprey - you got any tall, dead pines on the farm Ed ;) ? And what's the latest regarding the barn owls?

Brickwork exploding from the main character, fully and deservedly centre-stage. Fab drawing. Well done on the osprey - you got any tall, dead pines on the farm Ed ;) ? And what's the latest regarding the barn owls?

Well the Dunlin seems to have gone down well- thank-you gentlemen.

There are indeed some tall dead pines with a nice view of the estuary- they used to hold a heronry a century ago but a retired big game hunter (not family) used to stand underneath and shooot them before he went to church on Sunday mornings. So they are currently vacant...

Barn Owls doing fine- still begging and they have not been run over yet.

Hello all- dodging the rain this weekend, but managed to fluke a lovely Hobby (well all Hobbies are lovely) flushing pigeons over a dark wet stubble whilst I was between the farm shop and rugby. It deserved a capture-the-moment, so the first is done on the side of the box that the groceries were in with the birds a bit crammed together, the second under a strict time self-imposed time limit when I got home. I was absolutely determined to bang in the birds without any pre-drawing etc., so they are a bit of mess and may yet feel some sandpaper on their backs.

Attachments

• hobbypignsketchDSC_0043 copy.jpg
    hobbypignsketchDSC_0043 copy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 77
  • paintedhobbypignsDSC_0048 copy.jpg
    paintedhobbypignsDSC_0048 copy.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 89
Ooooh! That's splendid! Beautiful.

And that's something along the lines with what I know I should try with my pic of "quite a few" cranes.

Elina

Nope,leave the sandpaper, Im loving this as it stands, Might even frame the sketch as well......love the colours in this..

BIG UP

I agree with everyone else here; That's a fantastic piece of work. The first thing that strikes is the colour then the drama and action leap off the canvas. Top class!

Mike

Funny old day today- took a day's holiday to collect dog #1 from vet in Fakenham where where he has just had an eye-wateringly expensive operation to fix a shattered leg joint, managed to get up there in time for five minutes (yes five minutes) sea watching from Cley during which time I saw literally no birds at all. Then two Hobbies on the last leg of the drive to Fakenham. Spent the drive musing amongst other things on what to do with the Hobby pic and decided to ditch the middle pigeons- so apologies to all who urged restraint.

Attachments

• 5pigeonhobbyDSC_0018 copy.jpg
    5pigeonhobbyDSC_0018 copy.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 86
awesome! startlingly full of action - if you put sandpaper to this one we'll have to chop your hands off!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back