• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser/Great Frigatebird (1 Viewer)

Why is Fregata ariel called the Lesser Frigatebird and Fregata minor the Great Frigatebird?

F.ariel is much bigger then F.minor. And minor means small, agree?

Kind regards Theo

Hi Theo,

Fregata minor was described as Pelecanus minor so when it was transfered to Fregata it kept its species name minor.

Fred

I agree, this explains the scientific name. But what about the vernacular names? It's a bit weird to call the smaller bird Great Frigatebird and the larger bird Lesser Frigatebird.

This is true about everywhere I look. Even Dutch, Italian and Swedish names seem to be wrong, to name a few.

Theo

I agree, this explains the scientific name. But what about the vernacular names? It's a bit weird to call the smaller bird Great Frigatebird and the larger bird Lesser Frigatebird.

This is true about everywhere I look. Even Dutch, Italian and Swedish names seem to be wrong, to name a few.

Theo

Theo,
the truth is that the vernacular names are correct and the scientific names are not correct when taken as descritive - however, they are correct in the sense of history and keeping an original name intact.

Niels

Why is Fregata ariel called the Lesser Frigatebird and Fregata minor the Great Frigatebird?

F.ariel is much bigger then F.minor. And minor means small, agree?

Kind regards Theo
Theo, "much bigger" ... in what way?

Lesser Frigatebird Fregata ariel G. R. GRAY 1845 = 66-81 cm; male 625-875 g, female 760-955 g; wingspan 155-193 cm.

Great Frigatebird Fregata minor GMELIN 1789 = 82-105 cm; male 1000-1450 g, female 1215-1640 g; wingspan 180-230 cm.

Measurements from HBW Alive. I don't get it; why the hang-up?

Björn

PS. It would be a more relevant question versus the largest species; Magnificent Frigatebird Fregata magnificens MATHEWS 1914 (as "Fregata minor magnificens") = 89-114 cm; c. 1100-1587 g; wingspan 217-244 cm.

This said with hesitation in calling even the latter species "much bigger" ;)
---

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back