• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater/Lesser Scaup? -Kansas City (1 Viewer)

alis yoder

United States
I'm relatively new to birding, but have had the pleasure of upping my waterfowl game this last week from the Gulf Coast and up the Missouri River valley. I got some great looks at Lesser Scaups around the Kansas City airport (spent an hour watching a dozen from shore with 16x binocs).

A few hours later that day, I hit up a small lake a half mile from the Missouri river. There were four female scaups hanging out on the edge of the water with a group of Blue and Green winged Teal. In this group, three looked pretty firmly Lesser, but the fourth head shape did seem slightly more front heavy... but it could have just been my imagination, and were it only this feature, I'd leave it at Greater/Lesser. But this fourth did have a very clear pale patch on the cheek, and its white ring around the bill was also 50% more pronounced than the others. I haven't found much on these features, but a birder recently told me these were signs of Greater. It looked the same size as the other three. My binocs and the bird's movement didn't give me much help with bill size, nail, puffy cheeks. Apologies, new and poor, and don't have any means to take pictures.

Is this pale patch on cheek and pronounced white around the bill indicators of Greater?

Head shape is really the only diagnostic field mark. Everything else is pretty variable and subjective.

Is this pale patch on cheek and pronounced white around the bill indicators of Greater?
No. To my knowledge, this is never used as a worthwhile field feature in separating from lesser scaup. It varies individually in both species.
Welcome to BF.

There's a lot of variation and overlap, so it's not really reliable, but yes, very extensive white on the face is an indicator that you might be looking at a Greater.

And unlike bill proportions (eg., larger nail), it's quite easy to see in the field. So it's not definitive, but it can be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back