• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How are Sand Martins doing down your way? (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Sorry to say my local colony have been almost wiped out - can only assume that their nests, in a clay cliff face, have been turned to slush.

Haven't seen either adults or Juvs for the last week or so, though HM and Swallow numbers are normal.

Anyone else noticing similar?

Yes Same Here In Kintyre I Carry Out A Ras Ringing Project For Bto And The Colony That I Ringed 249 Birds At Last Year Has Been Washed Away In A Flash Flood, Noticed Similar At A Couple Of Smaller Colonys, Although I Did Think That There Were Less Birds Back This Year And Turning Up A Bit Later

still plenty on the river hodder at altham lancs,even though the banking keeps braking way every year,they just make fresh nest holes, and carry on.

I was worried when Willington GP was flooded. However colonies near the DWT reserve and those on the newer working looking OK.

John

I only had 3 pairs here this year, their nest sites were flooded about 3 weeks ago and I havn't seen them since.

Thanks all. Strangely the adults have abandoned the area too; perhaps they've gone looking for alternate sites.

I was worried when Willington GP
Hi John, I was at Willington on Tuesday night and there were well over 20 birds flying near to the factory by the entrance. It certainly looked as though there were some recently fledged birds in with the adults so maybe the Willington colony hasn't faired as badly as might be imagined given the level that the floods reached.

Incidentally I went down there a couple of weeks ago and found it completely flooded as expected, I turned around on the triangle in what I thought might be six inches of water only to find that it was closer to two feet deep. My car almost floated and the water came up onto the bonnet, no harm done though and an interesting experience, I must get an out-board motor fitted for next time.

Spent an hour or so down at Llangadog common along the river this afternoon. Despite some very heavy rainfall over the last couple of months we seem to have a very good population of Sand Martins - including many juveniles. The banks of the Tywi are ideal being mostly soft sand and so long as we do not get really heavy rain for prolonged periods (heck it is Wales!)we may be lucky with nests not being swamped. They are difficult beggers to get an accurate count but I reckon in the order of 50-60 birds (conservative estimate, could be as much as 100) along the lower stretch of the river Swadde

Took our dog onto the beach yesterday,the tide had just receded,and there were the usual Sandpipers with the Ringed Plovers.These 2 species always seem to be together.The first time I have seen them this year.Quite a large group.

Took our dog onto the beach yesterday,the tide had just receded,and there were the usual Sandpipers with the Ringed Plovers.These 2 species always seem to be together.The first time I have seen them this year.Quite a large group.

Er, Hi Christine, noticed it was a late at night post - feeling the pace up there? Always good to here about Sandpeeps (my word, not a misspelling) but what about Sand Martins?

Hmmm, the adults are back, after an absence of about three weeks, during which their place in the sky above my garden was taken over by House Martins. Now: fewer Swallows and HM, more Sand Martins.

curious!

The SM colony on Widemouth Bay beach (a bit south of Bude, Cornwall) seemed to be doing just fine when I saw it on 22 July.

Colony on bank of river Clyde at RSPB Baron's Haugh bred successfully again this year. Sorry can't give accurate count but I would have said upwards of 15 nests.

No natural Sand Martin sites on my local patch, river banks low and levels this year very variable. But we have two Sand Martin walls, one with 5 rows of 20 on one gravel pit, the other with 5 rows of 21 on another pit. The one with 100 holes is the most watched. I' guessing all the holes jhave been entered, with probably about half with nests being built. If its anything like last year then about 20-25 will have had chicks in. They seem to be on a second brood now, but the bottom two rows were wiped out by the floods last week.
The other wall does not seem to be as successful. Problems with Crows and Jackdaws perching on top and trying to get into the holes. Sand Martins are still nesting though, don't really know how many are occupied. Will have to wait until we clean out the nest area's and reprime with sand. Again, probably bottom two/three rows wiped out because of flooding.

The new bird reserve and hide at Tarland, Aberdeenshire seems to be a magnet for Sand Martins. A couple of evenings ago I counted 114 perched on a fence, with as many more flying around. They nest in a nearby sand and gravel quarry.

The new bird reserve and hide at Tarland, Aberdeenshire seems to be a magnet for Sand Martins. A couple of evenings ago I counted 114 perched on a fence, with as many more flying around. They nest in a nearby sand and gravel quarry.

What great news of amazing numbers Ken, especially after some of the more gloomier reading above. I wonder if next year's returning Sand Martins that have been flooded this year will look for new breeding sites straight away rather than take a risk again.

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back