• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arabian oryx and other mammals in Israel (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

I’m considering a trip to Israel for the first two weeks of next April. One of my main targets would be Arabian oryx. From the report by Timo Marijnissen it seems the best bet is Ein Shak. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best area to see them, nearby accommodation etc? In fact any tips on mammal watching in Israel would be much appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Apparently you can stay in Hazeva (also written Hatzeva, Hatseva).
As it is a moshav it may well be gated, so find out if you can get out early/get in late (although I assume you can), but you'll be very close to the site.
It's about an hour from Ein Gedi: there must be accommodation between Ein Gedi and Ein Shahak.

I can't help you with mammal watching tips (Ibex and Hyrax are a doddle at Ein Gedi). Note that I've been refused entry to Neot HaKikkar (north of Hazeva) once because of people smugglers in the area. Assume you will be watched!

Apparently you can stay in Hazeva (also written Hatzeva, Hatseva).
As it is a moshav it may well be gated, so find out if you can get out early/get in late (although I assume you can), but you'll be very close to the site.
It's about an hour from Ein Gedi: there must be accommodation between Ein Gedi and Ein Shahak.

I can't help you with mammal watching tips (Ibex and Hyrax are a doddle at Ein Gedi). Note that I've been refused entry to Neot HaKikkar (north of Hazeva) once because of people smugglers in the area. Assume you will be watched!

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Done quite a lot of mammal watching in Israel Steve, a great destination if you put the time in though a good challenge to define your targets and plan allocated time. Wolves in the Golan or Negev, Jungle Cat easy in the Hula, Striped Hyena, Caracal ?
The Punks did well with an impressive 42 species in a week! - http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/16/dorcas-gazelle/ though I haven't yet seen the trip report.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back