• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mixed bunch Sweden April-June (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
1. Goose from Hjälstaviken on 17th April. Bean Goose?

Landsort/Öja 3rd-4th June for the rest
2. This one was singing and I'm fairly sure it's a Marsh Warbler. I thought Icterine at first but it looks better for Marsh. Both species were present and I think I've now learned to differentiate them by song.
3. Some kind of warbler. Chiffchaff? Lesser Whitethroat?
4. Brent Goose? Long-necked Eider?

Attachments

• IMG_9793.jpg
    IMG_9793.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 97
1) I'd go for Pinkfooted Goose
2) is a Common Whitethroat
3) maybe Garden warbler
4) not sure body looks like Eider but head and neck look too long and slim.

Thank you all very much indeed for the help!

Pink-footed would be nice but I doubt whether a definite ID is possible. Here's another picture just in case though.

Pity about the Marsh Warbler as I thought I'd finally managed to get a picture of one but there were certainly an awful lot more Common Whitethroats present on the island.

Could well be Garden Warbler.

I don't recall seeing an Eider with the neck stretched out that much but I couldn't really see it as anything else myself.

Attachments

• IMG_9794.jpg
    IMG_9794.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 76
I had no idea which of the Geese would be most likely (here it would be the other way around with Pinkfoot being much more likely) but Bean is quite possible the bill does look rather large.

On April 17 there were 110 Bean Geese and 6 Pink-footed Geese present in Hjälstaviken (according to Svalan), so statistically it's a Bean. ;) (Not that anyone should use statistics to ID birds, of course...). Did you see the Brent Goose that was also there that day? Somewhat of a rarity in Hjälstaviken...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back