• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcock (1 Viewer)

headington7

To-day (on a quiet track,near a wood in North Oxon.,) I saw my first Woodcock.It was walking quietly around,geat camoflauge ! Is it less usual to see them on the ground ?
Thanks,
Mervyn.

headington7 said:
To-day (on a quiet track,near a wood in North Oxon.,) I saw my first Woodcock.It was walking quietly around,geat camoflauge ! Is it less usual to see them on the ground ?
Thanks,
Mervyn.

Yes, it is exceptionally unusual, so you were very lucky.

I see woodcock regularly (in fact I saw 5 today) but I have only ever seen them in flight (flushed from the ground or roding).

Nice one there mate!

In many years of birding I've only ever managed to see Woodcock roding at dusk in their breeding grounds, or a brief view of 'em flushed from cover in winter.

Great birds! as Lennon would say - "I'm just a jealous guy"....

dan

Last edited:
I agree, very lucky; I saw my first one for over 2 years yesterday - as usual it was a "rear end" view as it flew off after i flushed it! Only ever seen them roding once, quite a few years ago now.

Mike

I heard an interesting theory today - that the woodcock may be the most abundant wintering wader in Britain. Something to think about next time you are looking at a flock of tens of thousands of Dunlin or Knot on an estuary!

I had great views of my first woodcock, it was wandering around on a fallen hawthorn branch, that was 18 years ago and I've never seen one on the ground since!

I was driving over the hills late last night and there must have been upward of 30 woodcock in about an hour and a half. There were also 12 SEO's and a handful of LEO's, all arrived on the full moon no doubt.

Rob

Hi Headington - seeing woodcock at ground level is a great sight (when you see them!). I now live in Orkney and often flush them in winter from my 'willow woodland' (about a dozen, 15 feet tall shrubs in the garden!), but when I lived in S Yorkshire I once had an amazing sighting. Walking the dogs on our usual woodland path, very early one May morning (probably 6 am-ish) - we came across two cocks scrapping on the path just 10 yards away. They were absolutely oblivious to me and the dogs, rearing up and striking each other with their feet - sparring like March hares almost - ( I only assume they were both males - territorial dispute, perhaps) They only departed the scene when, after watching their amazing antics for several seconds (which always seem like minutes) Oliver (the little dog) could contain his interest no longer! Absolutely unforgettable. Thanks for reminding me (I miss woodlands, up here).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back