• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you any Swallows? (1 Viewer)

Steve Jones

I've just had my mum round for dinner today. She casually mentioned the FIVE Swallows that lingered along the open grasslands outside her house....LAST WEDNESDAY!!! (I make that the 17th).
She lives in an open area at the eastern edge of Preston with fabulous views over the Ribble Valley, and knows Swallows from Martins etc.(and has good eyesight). She said the birds stayed for a couple of minutes swooping down on 'midges' before departing ue South. I find this number of stragglers remarkable (athough my mum did'nt think it was worth more than a mention!).
Anyone else seen any (or still got some).
Steve.

Other side of the pond here but I was just as amazed to find Tree Swallows swooping over a small pond I was set up at today. We went down to 27 degrees last night so this shocked the heck out of me.

Last edited:
Well, ive heard about the odd Swallow lingering down in Devon or somewhere, but 5 at the same place is quite remarkable

Un common to have a number like this but not impossible. Usually late birds come in singles. Not unheard of in December.

I was wondering whether there were still any around. The last report on RBA was of 2 at Lossiemouth on 13 December, which seemed unusually far north.

It's not at all unusual for there to be a mid-December Swallow at the Jubillee swimming pool in Penzance and I was more than little surprised that there have been no such reports this year. The year the Booted Eagle was down here there was an over-wintering Swallow around Penzance/Drift that survived into mid January.

Jason

Haven't seen any swallows for ages but DID see a late, for me anyway, House Martin at Seaton Sluice, Northumberland on Tuesday, 18th November.

GILL

Bluetail said:
It's not at all unusual for there to be a mid-December Swallow at the Jubillee swimming pool in Penzance and I was more than little surprised that there have been no such reports this year.
Ah, I knew Cornwall would redeem itself! There was one at Par Beach Pool on 28th.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back