• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning a South Texas trip (1 Viewer)

Bewildered

Hey all,

I think I'm finally going to get around to doing a South Texas trip. Despite having an ABA list that's well over 500 now, I've never made it down there (or Florida for that matter!). I was hoping to do a trip out of the ABA area, but I don't think I can afford that right now. Anyway, back on topic. I was wondering if I could hear some feedback/thoughts on what I have planned/thought about.

I have most eastern migrant species, but seeing as many species at once on the trip would be nice. Looking at eBird bar charts and trip reports, I think the last week in April is probably a good week for maximum species? I know winter/fall can also be good, but I am also an active butterfly watcher so I think spring would maximize species counts in that regard.

As for locations, these are some of the spots I was thinking of hitting up. If anyone has any tips regarding these locations, please let me know. Also, if I'm missing a good spot or one of the spots I have mentioned is terrible, please let me know!

Estero Llano Grande State Park: assorted LRGV specialties, including possibly the best shot at a day-light pauraque.

South Padre Island: eastern spring migrants, beach birds (including some target lifers like Clapper Rail and Sandwich Tern).

Sabal Palm Sanctuary: assorted LRGV specialties. I've heard that this isn't a must-visit spot from some people, but it seems really good to me. Thoughts?

Laguna Atascosa NWR: assorted LRGV specialties, nearby locations for White-tailed Hawk and Aplomado Falcon

Santa Ana NWR: assorted LRGV specialties, heard this is a really good location to go to.

McAllen Nature Center: I have this down for Green Parakeets. Is this a good spot for them or are the better locations?

Bentson-Rio Grande Valley State Park: another "must-visit" location, Clay-colored Thrush, possibly Hook-billed Kite, plus lots of specialties

Salineno: Red-billed Pigeon, Muscovy Duck, White-collared Seedeater, Audubon's Oriole, etc. My understanding is that none of these are reliable, but this is the best spot for them if you're going to see them.

Kings Ranch: Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl and Tropical Parula, plus specialty birds. Is it worth the money to go here?

Anything I'm missing?

As for length of the trip, I'm thinking 6-7 days is probably long enough. Is that enough time or am I being too ambitious? I'm guessing I'd have to lodge at different towns depending on where I'm planning on birding (McAllen, Harlingen, etc.).

Thank in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:
I can't make too many comments on your itinerary, except to say it sounds great. I've only done some whirlwind birding there and have never had the chance to devote a full week. The comment that I want to make is that I'm impressed with your ABA list, considering you've never been to South Texas or Florida!

A few comments.
There is a Texas subforum, take a look at http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=377 for more info

There are two ABA birding guides for Texas, one for the coast and another for the valley. At least the valley version would be good to have for your trip.

I used 9 days for a winter visit if I recall correctly. I included going far enough upriver that I also got a chance for http://www.birdforum.net/opus/White-collared_Seedeater, peccaries, etc. (just a bit further than Salineno).

There are a few different places to see parakeets in McAllen. There is also a nice place to stay!

Niels

There are a few different places to see parakeets in McAllen. There is also a nice place to stay!

Several pairs were actively nest building on electricity posts at the junction of East Gardenia Ave and S 5th Street in Hidalgo this last month (just by Hidalgo pumphouse)

I've visited the LRGV in both mid-winter and April. I'd actually say the birding is a bit better in winter, although spring is good too. You mention most of the main sites, although it's always worth keeping an eye on local reports for any significant rarities around (e.g. last April I visited Anzalduas for a singing Tropical Parula that was reported). I'd suggest going upriver to San Ygnacio to see White-collared Seedeaters, which should be easy in April as they'll be singing. I'm not aware of that species being regular at Salineno. I suspect that the easiest way to see Green Parakeets is at the Lowe's in McAllen (10th and Dove). There were hundreds at dusk when I visited.

Also, you're not really going to be too far from the Corpus Christi area, which should be excellent for migrants and waterfowl. A week in the LRGV in April strikes me as longer than you need to see more-or-less everything, so it's maybe worth going further afield. The Hill Country for Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo isn't too far away for example, if you need them. Very different birds to the LRGV and a really beautiful area.

Last edited:
I I'd suggest going upriver to San Ygnacio to see White-collared Seedeaters, which should be easy in April as they'll be singing. I'm not aware of that species being regular at Salineno.

They are not, but there was one on the island just upriver of the feeding station last month ...but locals were speaking of how unusual it is at this locality. Zapata and Del Rio other localities for this species.

They are not, but there was one on the island just upriver of the feeding station last month ...but locals were speaking of how unusual it is at this locality. Zapata and Del Rio other localities for this species.

Yes, I just checked the Ebird reports and it seems that there have been one or two round there recently. I also noticed a five year gap in sightings there too, so I guess it's a little out of the ordinary. In April last year there were two or three singing in the middle of the afternoon at San Ygnacio. So long as you listen out for the song they should be straightforward there.

I could not remember exactly how far above Salineno, so that is why I used "a bit". I did not say "a little bit". Most of the locations are very easy if you look in the ABA guide.

Niels

I think it depends on how determined you are to find the more difficult species. For example, it took me three separate visits to Salineno one April to get red-billed pigeon.

I personally like Sabal Palm. It was the first place I ever visited in the Valley, so it had a lot of lifers for me, and that was just at their feeders. I also had a parauque roosting on the parking lot at dusk (in the winter).

Watch the hot-lines for tropical parula sightings. After that, you can judge whether you want to pay for King Ranch for just the owl. FWIW, I saw a pair a long time ago at another ranch that is no longer open to birders.

Some species like muscovy duck, green kingfisher, hook-billed kite just require luck.

And I agree with the suggestion to visit the hill country while you're there. You can get the warbler and vireo in a morning.

The first time I went I stayed in Brownsville a couple nights then switched to McAllen. The last time I just stayed in McAllen the whole trip.

And a warning: If you have a radar detector, bring it. Way back when, the small town of Port Isabel (across from S. Padre) was a speed trap. Don't know if it still is. And another known speed trap is in La Joya (on Rte 83 upriver from McAllen).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info that has been posted thus far, everyone!

Also, you're not really going to be too far from the Corpus Christi area, which should be excellent for migrants and waterfowl. A week in the LRGV in April strikes me as longer than you need to see more-or-less everything, so it's maybe worth going further afield. The Hill Country for Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo isn't too far away for example, if you need them. Very different birds to the LRGV and a really beautiful area.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm planning on flying in through Corpus Christi (cheapest flights from my area fly to there), so I might bird that area a day or two. I do have both Black-capped Vireo and Golden-cheeked Warbler already, but they're both birds I would be willing to see again (mostly for photos -- didn't have a camera when I saw them). I don't have Whooping Crane, though, so I might try for those.

And a warning: If you have a radar detector, bring it. Way back when, the small town of Port Isabel (across from S. Padre) was a speed trap. Don't know if it still is. And another known speed trap is in La Joya (on Rte 83 upriver from McAllen).

Alternatively I could just not speed. ;) That being said, I'm from California where speed limits are barely enforced so I'll probably have to remember where I'm driving.

A few comments.

There are two ABA birding guides for Texas, one for the coast and another for the valley. At least the valley version would be good to have for your trip.

Niels

Thank you. I'll get the Rio Grande Valley guide. I've gotten ABA guide's to regions before and they're definitely worth the money. Not sure why I didn't think of that before posting!

If you are doing Corpus Christi, then the coastal version would be worth it too. Sounds like you should be having a total of 2 weeks with all the places you hope to go.

Niels

Bewildered -
My wife and I visited south Texas last December. Our trip report is here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=298668
I think this will be helpful for some of the species you listed. Some of your target species are still on my list also.
We also made a trip in the spring of '09 but that may be too long ago for helpful info.

I think 7 days is adequate if you plan on running full speed everywhere you go. I like to take a little more time than perhaps most people. There are so many good places to visit and some will need second visits because you don't always get the bird the first time around.
We made a list and a schedule of all the places we would hope to visit in 12 days. Try that and you'll see what I mean. We actually didn't have the time to go north to Del Rio. But if you want to consider getting to 650 or 700 at some point, this will be only your first trip to the LRGV.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back