• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding lodge recommendations? (2 Viewers)

melisande

Does anyone know if there is a (really) good birding lodge in South Africa that accommodates travelers with special diets (in my case this would be an extremely low fat diet).

Thanks!

Hi again, your question formulated this way will be very difficult to answer for most people. Better think of common foods you can and cannot eat and contact the lodge directly. If stuck, think of a lodge within drivibg distance to a bigger city and bring a supply of emergency food with you. Otherwise never heard of a lodge with a resident nutritionist.

Does anyone know if there is a (really) good birding lodge in South Africa that accommodates travelers with special diets (in my case this would be an extremely low fat diet).

Thanks!

As suggested in your other thread, if you stay in e.g Kruger, there are lots of very good bungalows where you could prepare all your own food

Last edited:
Yes, ever since I got this condition two years ago I have been preparing my own food. The problem with that is a vacation quickly turns into a non-vacation when you prepare every meal yourself in addition to birding all day long. Really, it can get exhausting. Of course, if it were just myself, I have something extreme basic at every meal. But I know my husband doesn’t want to eat tuna out of the can (for example) for every dinner, nor do we want to eat separately.

Posting before I time out like last time ...

Hi again, your question formulated this way will be very difficult to answer for most people. Better think of common foods you can and cannot eat and contact the lodge directly. If stuck, think of a lodge within drivibg distance to a bigger city and bring a supply of emergency food with you. Otherwise never heard of a lodge with a resident nutritionist.

Sure, of course I can ask, but to what degree should I trust the response? We did stay at Cabañas San Isidro in Ecuador last year because I heard from a birder friend that I really should totally trust them when they said they could deal with the diet — that Carmen (one of the owners) is really good with food.

Sure, of course I can ask, but to what degree should I trust the response? We did stay at Cabañas San Isidro in Ecuador last year because I heard from a birder friend that I really should totally trust them when they said they could deal with the diet — that Carmen (one of the owners) is really good with food.

One option would be to buy in all the stuff you want and look in to hiring one of the camp cooks to prepare your meals, I doubt it would be that expensive and a local would be glad of the extra income?

Thanks!

Hi, you dont specify where in South Africa? Its a big country with many lodging options. South Africa is a popular tourist attraction and most lodges/hotels/B&B's that deal especially with inbound travellers are used to catering to various dietary requirements. We often cater for vegans, vegetarians, as well as people who need to avoid specific food types and even do special kosher meals too. It would be best to decide where you plan on going and then look up lodging options in those areas and then request appropriate catering. Unfortunately you will then need to trust you will get what you have requested. Perhaps do some research on the lodge and check out Trip Advisor.
Good luck!

As suggested in your other thread, if you stay in e.g Kruger, there are lots of very good bungalows where you could prepare all your own food

OK, so now we are considering cooking. So how can I get more information about these bungalows? Is there some kind of food store near by or do you need to bring your food in?

OK, so now we are considering cooking. So how can I get more information about these bungalows? Is there some kind of food store near by or do you need to bring your food in?

Assuming you are referring to the bungalows in the Kruger Park, you can buy supplies from the shops in all the main camps, but the shops can be quite expensive, so it would be best to stock up at one of the towns outside the park.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back