• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with 823 (1 Viewer)

davidg

My 10 year old 823 has been indoors and unused for the past year or so as I tend to go birding with a smaller scope and DSLR these days. I've just taken it out of its cover and found that the rubberised coating of the body seems to be perishing leaving an unpleasant sticky mess which is only made worse when I try to clean it. Has anyone else experienced this and can they suggest any solutions? I had considered selling it but couldn't pass it on to anyone in this state!

Any help appreciated.

David

Hi there....I had a Kowa 824 that had all the body paint removed and I suspect maybe this same deterioration had taken place ..The scope came from Japan(I know,i know they all do these Kowas,but this one was bought used from Japan)and I think the body paint was professionally or very carefully removed,down to the black fiber..It looked very cool!
I guess if kept inside the case ,there is no problem,although I probably would end somehow sanding away the finish..(carefully and after protecting the optics and sealing the focusser)
Heck ,I might even paint some flames and skulls with an aerograph ,and start birding dressed like a Hell´s Angel..
BTW I sent You a PM regarding the scope,in case You still thinking about selling it

I've got exactly the same problem. I contacted Kowa and apparently you can have your scope serviced which includes a "re-spray". I can't remember exactly how much it costs but think it was in the region of £100-200.

I've got exactly the same problem. I contacted Kowa and apparently you can have your scope serviced which includes a "re-spray". I can't remember exactly how much it costs but think it was in the region of £100-200.

Thanks for the info, I'll contact Kowa and see what they say.

David

No trouble! Let us know what they quote you for the service, as I'm still tempted to get it done. Wish I'd written down the price now. Cheers.

I spoke today to a nice guy at Glasgow Binocular Repair- who, as far as I know are the approved repairer for Kowa UK.

I mentioned the rubberised paint coating and he agreed that it was a fairly common fault wher the scope has been uncovered. He said that he'd tried fixing it before but without success and the best he could offer was to remove it with a solvent. No mention of a re-finish I'm afraid...

I had exactly the same problem with mine, just thought it was something i'd done to it, its kind of happened all over my scope under the stay on case, surely this is a 'fault' and should be covered by KOWA free of charge.

Kowa 824 body finish deterioration .

Hi,
I have the identical problem you have, I removed all,of the black messy finger sticking goo from the retractable light shield, using Buafix Brush Cleaner, bought from Lidle a couple of years ago, removed it cleanly to the underlying black plastic, which now looks perfect, the whole of the body was (still is but less) very sticky, and I spent an hour or more rubbing car plastic trim polish into it, which made it a fair lot better. I have come across this sort of spontaneous deterioration before, I had a pair of Japanese made binoculars, versus all the other places they are made, bought at a premium price, and one day after leaving them in a leather velvet lined case for about 12 months, found the paint was all sticky, I though maybe the case which was not Tasco had somehow chemically interacted with the paint, I stuck Sellotape over the areas, and gave them to a Charity Shop. Optically and mechanically my Kowa 624 is perfect, but the finish is dreadful, it took me about one and a half hours to strip the light shield, I dread to tackle the whole tube, I might try talcum powder tomorrow to neutralise the residual stickiness. Best regards....Alan Mowle

I wonder whether Sticky Stuff Remover, which is made from something in orange peel, would work? It's generally very good stuff - you can buy it at Lakeland.

I had the same problem...covered the whole mess up with black electrical type tape, jobs a good'un and no one is likely to want to pinch it now either...win win !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back