• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883-the ideal camera? (1 Viewer)

jascha777

Just bought a new Kowa 883 scope with 20-60 zoom
any thoughts on a camera for digiscoping would be most
welcome.
many thanks,Mark.

I think the Nikon p5100 is the best choice, that is what i will be replacing my aging A620 with when its price comes down a bit. Have you got your adapter sorted, the kowa swing away is a superb bit of engineering.

Just bought a new Kowa 883 scope with 20-60 zoom
any thoughts on a camera for digiscoping would be most
welcome.
many thanks,Mark.

Take a look at any of the Sony's with 3X optical zoom, a good selection to go at, also cheap as chips at the moment is the Samsung NV3, a great little camera at cost of £99, you can take pictures handheld until you decide to get an adpater

Paul

Thanks for the advice guys,if I were to go for the Nikon 5100

what are the options for adapters-aside from the kowa swing away?
many thanks,Mark.

kowa TSN883

Thanks Neil,
I`ll certainly have a look at that.
Mark.

Sorry Mark , you need the DA-10 adapter for the Kowa Prominar TSN 883 and not the DA-1 adapter. And when you have a camera with a filter thread
(like coolpix 4500,Sony 7 or 17 Sony 5 or 15 and others ), you also need a stepring , f.e coolpix 4500 you need a stepring of 28mm. And all the other cameras you need the DA-4 swing-out adapter , in combination with the DA-10.

greetings

Herman van der Klis

Thanks Herman,does that mean the only way of using the Nikon 5100
is with the DA-4? Also is this camera suitable for hand holding or would I
be better off with something like the Samsung NV3?
many thanks,Mark.

Mark,
The DA-4 is for cameras that don't have a filter thread for an adapter. The P5100 does so you can use the DA-10 plus the appropriate filter thread (either 28 mm for Nikon brand adapter or 52 mm for third party adapter for camera ).
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back