• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quebec Thrushes (1 Viewer)

Widus

I will need the help of the forum to acquire some experience with North American thrushes. The next two were photographed in the Mont-Tremblant national park (May 17)
I think the first pic is yet another Swainson's but the other might be a Hermit. Is this correct?

Attachments

• Catharus ustulatus 002 - 2018.05.17 Parc national du Mont-Tremblant (Québec) Canada.jpg
    Catharus ustulatus 002 - 2018.05.17 Parc national du Mont-Tremblant (Québec) Canada.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Catharus guttatus 001 - 2018.05.17 Parc national du Mont-Tremblant (Québec) Canada.jpg
    Catharus guttatus 001 - 2018.05.17 Parc national du Mont-Tremblant (Québec) Canada.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 67
The first looks like a Swainson's as it has buffy spectacles and it lacks the reddish tones in the wings and tail. I agree with Hermit for the other. Juvenile catharus thrushes are spotted above and below.

I agree the first is not a hermit - there's not a trace of rufous on the tail. The face doesn't look very buffy on my monitor, and the overal color is dull/grey (Swainson's tends to be warmer/browner), but I suppose the eye-ring is a little strong for grey-cheeked (or Bicknell's) so I'll tentatively join the Swainson's camp.

Too much stuff in the foreground to trust the colors on the other pair of photos. Three seems to be a clear view of the rump, which does seem very slightly rufous (sort of a chestnut color), but I have only limited confidence that the color is accurate and contrasts with, say, the mantle. Still, Hermit seems like a pretty good bet.

The first one is definitely not a hermit thrush and I agree with Swainson’s. The bill shape is conclusive in differentiating these species. Hermit has a straighter and longer bill with relatively parallel upper and lower mandible whereas Swainson’s has a shorter bill with the effect of appearing blunter tipped than Hermit by result of having a curved upper mandible.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back