• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stroud canals (2 Viewers)

NearlyNoviceBirder

I have recently discovered the Stroud canals - which are a bit of a gem in the heart of town. Went for a walk this afternoon that yielded 2 kingfisher, a pair of treecreeper, nuthatch, grey wagtails, bullfinch, and the more usual tits, blackbirds, robin ,mallard, moorhen, magpie and crows. Also about 20 wrens. Last time I went there were goldcrest and a dipper as well.

Well worth a wander up and down if you are in the area.

I live very close to a stretch they haven't restored yet, but having seen what they've done to the rest of it I can't wait. On our clogged up derelict bit we get coots as well as moorhens. Strangely though we don't see coots on the nearby River Frome.

I'm close to an unrestored stretch too, but haven't been for a walk along there for quite a while, I shall have to go along soon and see what its like there now.

Application for funding due to be made in November for restoration of the 'lost mile' section either side of the M5. This has been a sticking point as the means of getting the original canal under the motorway has been lost so new schemes were needed.

That should be all of it I think so completion of the full stretch not very far away. The whole stretch is intended to be a wildlife corridor.

The Ecotricity man, Dale Vince, has bought lots of land at junction 13 of the M5 for a new football ground and industrial estate. This would include parts of the unrestored canal I assume, I think I heard that he would help the restoration but I don't know anything for a fact.

That's my team, that stadium will be within walking distance for me, hopefully along a restored canal.

Ecotricity are offering to facilitate restoration of the missing mile (presumably to also facilitate their planning application ;)) and create a nature reserve in an adjoining field. They have got the canal trust people on their side anyway.

Not certain that the whole scheme will go ahead though, they will put in for outline planning permission in November. At the moment they are collecting support from the public, (and ignoring the antis), the local wildlife trust and the canal people. Dale Vince really knows how to handle planners, he has a lot of experience with his wind turbines.

Its walking distance for me too.
Recently there was a bit of an exhibition at various local places outlining the plans wasn't there? I didn't get along to see so I don't know too many details of what the plans are.
A little while ago the council refused Stroud rugby team permission to build a new ground not too far from where he wants the new football ground to go but as you say I'm sure he knows how to handle planners and I suspect you are right when you say he will be able to do things to facilitate permission, and he probably has a lot more money than stroud rugby team had to help.

Plans are here, but they are very vague at the moment, just a 'concept'
http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/news/news-archive/2015/ecotricity-announces-100-acre-green-tech-and-sports-centre

The nature reserve (area marked red on far left of above plan) is seen as a sop but local wildlife groups are keen because the field in question is on a flood plain so could provide valuable wetland habitat.

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/news/news-archive/2015/eco-park-nature-reserve-plan-to-create-wetland-and-improve-biodiversity

Yes, the plans are a bit vague aren't they? That first link is basically the thing we had delivered through the door a little while ago, it doesn't really say too much other than a brief overview of what is proposed. I do wonder how things will pan out, I do think Stroud council would have opposed it all if it was proposed by someone other than Ecoricity but because of the associated 'green' credentials I suspect they will be sympathetic.

Well Fromebridge, according to the local radio this morning the planning application went in today, it will be interesting to see what happens from here.
You say Forest Green are your team, what's the view of your fellow supporters about the proposed move?

Divided, to be honest. Those who have supported them since Southerns League days are up in arms about taking the team out of Forest Green, newer fans see it as a natural progression as the club tries to grow and get into the football league. I'm split, been supporting them for 20 years but the new ground would be within walking distance for me |:S|

I suppose those reactions are only to be expected, my husband goes to the rugby at Gloucester and he says there is still a bit of nostalgia amongst some of the older supporters for the old days when it was a team of local lads.
Still there is a lot more to it than just a new football pitch isn't there? There's all the other associated sport stuff and the business park. Did you hear Dale Vince on the radio this morning?

No. I've heard so much of him over the years I try not to these days. He speaks very well and isn't put off his stride by anyone. All credit to him for standing by his principles whatever, it's just that none of it has anything to do with football, the reason I follow the team.

Not that I know anything about football or the club, I don't, but I think you're right when you say none of it has anything to do with football, its all about business for him I think.

I do not want to see the canal restored. Current there is very little disturbance along the missing mile and it is a haunt for Green Sandpipers, Curlew, Reed Bunting Barn Owl, Little Owl as well as Cuckoo, Sedge Warbler, Little Grebe. I could go on. There is just on enough consideration given to wildlife. The area contains a considerable amount of permanent pasture and this supports a good population of Butterflies including Common Blues, Meadow Browns, Ringlet and Skippers. There are Grass Snakes and Otters and good variety dragonflies. This is my local patch.....

I believe the long term plan has been to restore the canal and make the link back to its original connection. It will happen sooner or later even without the promise from Ecotricity to restore part of it as part of their plans.

You're right about it being a lovely wildlife haven as it is at the moment. It is a nice walk around there isn't it?

I agree to some extent with Richard but I don't think the restoration can be stopped now. Have you really seen otters in the canal? The water is so murky I'm surprised. I've seen them on the Frome but not the canal itself. I also think there would be more kingfisher activity along a cleaned-up canal.

You're right about the canal restoration, that is certain to happen, but I don't think a cleaned up canal is the problem, that would probably be beneficial, it's what happens with the surrounding area. If it was just a canal restoration the surrounding area could be sympathetically treated as a wildlife haven, an 'eco' business park and 'eco' sports facility would trample all over any ambition in leaving the canal surroundings as a haven for wildlife.

I should add that my one fear is that they join the canal with ('canalise') the Frome. This would apparently have leisure benefits but the whole area could be 'over-leisured' which would be detrimental to wildlife.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back