• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Good Day at Cuckmere Haven and More (1 Viewer)

Moonshake said:
Hello Joanne, lovely day yesterday eh? Some serious GSW drumming going on in Stanmer Park this morning too, with two birds responding to each other, then joining each other on the same branch for a spot of pre-nuptial hopping about. Steady on chaps!

Hi Nick

I guess they're all at it in Sussex now. ;)

Joanne

Hey Joanne

Ahah - so this is where all the groovy reports I was told that you had written hang out! Superb writing - I wish I'd seen them before I wrote mine about our trip to RSPB Pulborough!!

Glad you had a fun day out - I've not been able to go out since we met at Pulborough - hopefully this weekend when Frank comes down. So when we all going to meet up at Cuckmere then?

Kind regards
Didi

r2didi2 said:
Hey Joanne

Ahah - so this is where all the groovy reports I was told that you had written hang out! Superb writing - I wish I'd seen them before I wrote mine about our trip to RSPB Pulborough!!

Glad you had a fun day out - I've not been able to go out since we met at Pulborough - hopefully this weekend when Frank comes down. So when we all going to meet up at Cuckmere then?

Kind regards
Didi

Hi Didi

Don't know who reported the "groovy reports"!! LOL Thanks for the positive comment. We were thinking early April for CH. I'll flag it in about a month or so. Hope you and Frank can make it.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

Just a little note to say that back in 1993 the publishing house called Hamlyn put out a series of fine books on individual species under the banner of Hamlyn Species Guides. A number of books were produced and one was called The Kestral by Michael Shrubb.

If you contact a bookshop called Picture Book (They are on the net) in Leek they have a copy for about 7.99. Its detailed and very interesting to read with a combination of photo's, ink drawings and other illustrations.

I am looking for the one on the Barn Owl. I have a number of the others.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Another Day in the Woods

After last weeks cold snap in Sussex, yesterdays sunshine felt like spring so I was off down the lane and planned on a bit of woodland birding. It won't be that long before the trees are in leaf so want to make the most of the woods now while the birds are easier to spot. :loveme:

First up was a sparrowhawk being mobbed by two rooks providing an entertaining display of aerial combat before all three disappeaed over and behind the woods. There is a rookery here and the rooks are already checking things out, not actual nest building yet but it won't be long. Think they felt the sparrowhawk was just too close for comfort.

Walking down across the fields produced not much of interest, many many tits, singing robins, chaffinches , a songthrush. I could hear the drumming and calls of GS woodpeckers. As I crossed the stream, I flushed a pair of ducks but they disappeared into the woods before I could ID them. Then a jay, giving a brief appearance before disappearing in a tall hedge, they hardly ever let me get close, spotting me before I spot them.

By now I was over on the far side of the farm and approaching my favourite part of the woods, could hear loads of song but see not much. On entering the woods after negotiating the fence I was treated to a flock of long-tailed tits so I just sat down on a log and watched them for what seamed like a long time, such entertainers of the bird world they are, flitting and chirping purposefully and contentedly. A kestral was perched on a more distant tree and the drumming from gs woodpeckers comming from several directions. Through the woods and more of the same and then the highlight of the day, 2 marsh tits, really pleased to see them as it's a new specie for this patch. :-O

Then out of these woods, across the water meadow, over the footbridge and into the hilly woods. I had all afternoon been hearing the gurgley calls of green woodpeckers and now got my first glimpse today of one. Then a treecreeper busily and purposfully working an oak tree. I stopped to watch him; they are so efficient, the way they have evolved to creep up a tree, so effectivly probing the bark with their long down turned bill and creeping upwards and spirally around a tree, then flying down to start on another nearby tree. :hi:

On comming out of the woods, I saw 2 green woodpeckers flying across a set aside field and into some further woods, then a mistle thrush. Not much else on the way back but a nice day in the woods. Sorry no pictures today, not enough light so they all came out too dark.

Joanne

Last edited:
A fantastic days woodland/farmland/local patch birding Joanne,what I call
''bread n butter birding'' :-O

Thanks for sharing.

Matt

matt green said:
A fantastic days woodland/farmland/local patch birding Joanne,what I call
''bread n butter birding'' :-O

Thanks for sharing.

Matt

Thanks Matt, know what you mean about "bread 'n butter birding" but it's kinda what keeps me going. I can't always get out further afield, family committments, work, too many responsibilities, etc. Still love it though. ;) Hope to get back to Cuckmere Haven, my special place on the coast later this week.

Joanne

Hi Joanne, :hi:

Another nice birding report from your neck of the woods ha! ha! Again you managed to see a good number of species. I tried to picture your woodland.

Sometimes its nice not to have to travel big distances and to explore on foot places closer to home. These can be some of your best birding days.

I enjoy woodland birding particularly on a cold, sunny day in winter or spring with not a cloud in the sky. Sitting, watching, listening to birds and writing about the experience in this situation is so rewarding.

There is a lot of woodland near me in the Churnet and Coombes Valley.

Some evenings in May I visit RSPB Coombes Valley which I often have to myself and look for Pied Flycatchers. There is one place in this wooded area where I can sit and just observe and then there it is the Pied Flycatcher taking food to its young. :D

I love visiting here when there is a full moon just before sunset and watching roding Woodcock.

One winter I was at Coombes when heavy snow fell and this was a magical experience. The place transformed into a winter woodland. :D The trees were draped in snow!!! The pool in the base of Coombes was frozen.

I think I will do some woodland birding this weekend and visit a place called Cotton Dell at Oakamoor 2 miles up the road from here. I'll write up an account of this walk and what birds I see.

I hope like you I get to see Green Woodpeckers. I know they are about in the Churnet Valley.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Last edited:
Dean Powell said:
Sometimes its nice not to have to travel big distances and to explore on foot places closer to home.

I hope like you I get to see Green Woodpeckers. I know they are about in the Churnet Valley.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

I agree it is nice to have a good place close to home, thanks for your comments Dean and I hope you find some green woodpeckers, I guess I take them a bit for granted. ;)

Back to the Cuckmere Valley

Well, I knew I couldn't stay away from the Cuckmere Valley much longer, it's been nearly a month, especially as today was a glorious sunny day in Sussex. My husband was able to come with me today but we wouldn't have as much time as I would like because we had a parents session to attend at our daughters school later, but knowing that, it was with enthusium that we set off up the valley today. I had been wanting to explore these water meadows up river from Cuckmere Haven for some time, the stretch of river between Exeat and Litington.

Scanning the flood plain to the right we could see many Canada geese and a large flock of GBB gulls in the grass, would later count over 100, then 3 shelduck in the distance also on the grass. Then we spotted a single grazing brent goose. We would later see another, also on it's own.

Walking along the river path inland to the left of the river the Downs rise fairly steeply up and in the scrub we counted 25 fieldfare and 1 redwing feeding on what was left of the hawthorne berries and goodies they found in the grass. I was pleased to see the fieldfare :D, they seem to be eluding me this winter, don't seem to be as many around Sussex this winter as in previous winters.

Further along on the mudflats we spotted a grey wagtail with a pied wagtail. Then a small flock of meadow pipit , then more wagtails and pipits as we continued along the river path. Three grey heron were in a group sheltering from the wind and a single redshank along the river. Waders very scarce up river today.

As we approached Litlington village in one of the pools to the right there were some 40 wigeon, pleased to see them as the last time we went to Cuckmere Haven we had estimated there to have been over 1000 in this valley and were surprised not to have seen any so far today. We spoke to another birder we met later about this and he speculated that they alternate between Newhaven Tidemills and here. Could be.

Returning the way we had come we added a few more species, 10 teal :gh: in one of the channels, a stonechat and about 60 lapwing flying down river. The fieldfare were still in the scrub when we returned and a mixed flock of yellowhammer and chaffinch.

Reaching the road we still had a bit of time before said appointments so continued on down towards Cuckmere Haven but didn't get far but we did add a few more species, 10 little grebe , 1 oystercatcher, a little egret and some cormorants. Also saw more redshank, shelduck and Canadas.

No raptors seen today except 2 kestrals on the way home. Don't know what the teachers made of the two tired, windswept, bedraggled anaraky parents :hippy: who turned up for parents evening. Don't really care, it was a good days birding and I got a few good pictures.

Joanne

Attachments

• IMG_3535d resized.jpg
    IMG_3535d resized.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3546a resized.jpg
    IMG_3546a resized.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3552 resized.jpg
    IMG_3552 resized.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3520a resized.jpg
    IMG_3520a resized.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 81
Very nice report Joanne,

Love the scenery in the second photo.Looks like a fantastic place for a walk,don't you just wish those paths would go on for ever and ever!

Matt

matt green said:
Very nice report Joanne,

Love the scenery in the second photo.Looks like a fantastic place for a walk,don't you just wish those paths would go on for ever and ever!

Matt

Thanks Matt. The downland scenery is so beautiful, there's really nothing like it. If I were a painter I would paint these landscapes. ;)

Joanne

Last edited:
Newhaven Tide Mills and the Ouse Estuary Project

I had a few hours free during the middle of the day today and decided on a visit to Newhaven Tide Mills and the Ouse Estuary Project, partly on Moonshakes recommendation. It is some miles to the west of Cuckmere Haven on the east side of the River Ouse. The river meanders down through Sussex and enters the channel at the Port of Newhaven, a middle size industrial port with ferries to Dieppe. The Ouse Estuary Project is a new nature reserve, seems to have been a deal between developers building a vast ugly "retail park" next door and the local councils attempt at at a nature reserve. Don't know who the winners (if any) and loosers are yet, it's got some growing up to do but it is looking promising with mixed habitat of tidal pools, arable land, grass fields, an abandoned village and shingle beach.

The walk from the carpark is along a footpath bordering the busy coastal A road, noisy and unpleasant but I did get excellant, close and prolonged views of a male sparrowhawk perched on a fence. :D Veering away from the road towards the tidal pools produced good numbers, about 30 of teal who seem to be pairing up now. Apart from a group of shelduck in flight they were the only ducks I would see today. Also a mixed party gulls further away in the grass including Great Black Backed. Off to the left were some 200 lapwing who were soon sent up for the first of many times today giving a good display. Today was a day for lapwings who arose again and again.

Further along the path the new reserve works includes a well conscructed "screen", not a hide but a log built wall with holes at various heights to allow people of differing heights to see onto the tidal pools. This is well thought out and useful :t: but it would have been nicer for an oldie like me to have a few benches to sit on. From here I saw 5 snipe in flight, 2 curlew in the distance in the grass, a male kestral on a bramble bush and good but distant views of a female sparrowhawk flying in and perching on a fencepost. It was probably her that sent up the lapwings earlier and not for the first time either.

Having my lunch sitting on the ground leaning against the wall facing the other way onto the scrubland and fields I saw a green woodpecker on a telegraph pole and a stonechat . Further along towards the river produced not much else and I was put off going down the muddy path by copious amounts of industrial scale litter and a pervading smell of sewage. :eek!: :eek!:

So back the way I had come and then it was time to explore the old abandoned village of Tide Mills and a walk towards the sea. The flint village, with only meadow pipits and magpies in residence, complete with a totally abandoned and derelict station was from a bygone era. The tidal pool or creek from the days of the corn mill had only redshank on it today. On towards the beach and there was a flock of some 15 linnet and a single male skylark in full and elevating song, :D a harbinger of spring if ever there was. :loveme:

Nothing much of interest on the beach unless you are a surfer (they must be hardy on a February day) and my scope is not powerful enough for a seawatch so it was time to head back. It wasn't a great days birding but I didn't have that much time. I'm sure more time would have produced some more interesting species but I will definitely return.

Joanne

Attachments

• IMG_3581a resized.jpg
    IMG_3581a resized.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3589b resized.jpg
    IMG_3589b resized.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3593a resized.jpg
    IMG_3593a resized.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Well done with the sparrowhawk,

I can just barely manage to raise my binoculars on these before they see me and dart off, let alone photograph one!

Yours even seems to be posing LOL

Matt

Hi Joanne, glad you saw a few half decent birds at Tide Mills at least! Not quite as picturesque as Cuckmere Haven is it really? Still, I do find that sort of industrial decay does have a ramshackle tumbledown beauty of its own. And yes, the project still has a lot of growing to do! If you do go back there this winter, it might be worth heading west along the beach to the East Pier, cos that's quite a regular spot for purple sandpipers. Other things to watch out for are good-sized greenfinch flocks on the shingle and sometimes the odd black redstart.

In a spot of role-reversal, I was over at the Cuckmere myself on Sunday (walked from Alfriston to the sea) and didn't see a huge amount. No owls, no raptors apart from a single kestrel, wildfowl numbers were low - was hoping for better considering the amount of water lying on the fields. Impressive amount of great black backed gull though - I'm not someone that generally gets all that excited by gulls but heck, there were loads of the things, cor!!

joannechattaway said:
Newhaven Tide Mills and the Ouse Estuary Project

I had a few hours free during the middle of the day today and decided on a visit to Newhaven Tide Mills and the Ouse Estuary Project, partly on Moonshakes recommendation. It is some miles to the west of Cuckmere Haven on the east side of the River Ouse. The river meanders down through Sussex and enters the channel at the Port of Newhaven, a middle size industrial port with ferries to Dieppe. The Ouse Estuary Project is a new nature reserve, seems to have been a deal between developers building a vast ugly "retail park" next door and the local councils attempt at at a nature reserve. Don't know who the winners (if any) and loosers are yet, it's got some growing up to do but it is looking promising with mixed habitat of tidal pools, arable land, grass fields, an abandoned village and shingle beach.

The walk from the carpark is along a footpath bordering the busy coastal A road, noisy and unpleasant but I did get excellant, close and prolonged views of a male sparrowhawk perched on a fence. :D Veering away from the road towards the tidal pools produced good numbers, about 30 of teal who seem to be pairing up now. Apart from a group of shelduck in flight they were the only ducks I would see today. Also a mixed party gulls further away in the grass including Great Black Backed. Off to the left were some 200 lapwing who were soon sent up for the first of many times today giving a good display. Today was a day for lapwings who arose again and again.

Further along the path the new reserve works includes a well conscructed "screen", not a hide but a log built wall with holes at various heights to allow people of differing heights to see onto the tidal pools. This is well thought out and useful :t: but it would have been nicer for an oldie like me to have a few benches to sit on. From here I saw 5 snipe in flight, 2 curlew in the distance in the grass, a male kestral on a bramble bush and good but distant views of a female sparrowhawk flying in and perching on a fencepost. It was probably her that sent up the lapwings earlier and not for the first time either.

Having my lunch sitting on the ground leaning against the wall facing the other way onto the scrubland and fields I saw a green woodpecker on a telegraph pole and a stonechat . Further along towards the river produced not much else and I was put off going down the muddy path by copious amounts of industrial scale litter and a pervading smell of sewage. :eek!: :eek!:

So back the way I had come and then it was time to explore the old abandoned village of Tide Mills and a walk towards the sea. The flint village, with only meadow pipits and magpies in residence, complete with a totally abandoned and derelict station was from a bygone era. The tidal pool or creek from the days of the corn mill had only redshank on it today. On towards the beach and there was a flock of some 15 linnet and a single male skylark in full and elevating song, :D a harbinger of spring if ever there was. :loveme:

Nothing much of interest on the beach unless you are a surfer (they must be hardy on a February day) and my scope is not powerful enough for a seawatch so it was time to head back. It wasn't a great days birding but I didn't have that much time. I'm sure more time would have produced some more interesting species but I will definitely return.

Joanne

Hi Joanne, excellent report, as usual.
The area you went to, is that the area on the right as you are going towards Seaford on the train? I have always thought that looked interesting.
Great shot of the Sparrowhawk.

Hi Paul, the Ouse Estuary Project is on the left as you pull out of Newhaven towards Seaford on the train. Before you get to Newhaven though is a whole big area of wet fields and ditches, and most of that is on your right hand side, so maybe that's what you're looking at? Public access to that area isn't all that great, there are only really the footpaths along either bank of the river from Lewes to Newhaven (think you need to do some piddling about near Piddinghoe though). There are probably a lot of birds out there, but it is quite a vast area that you mostly can't see! Anyhow, it is good for flocks of lapwing, cormorant roosts on the pylons, the odd peregrine, kingfishers and redshank. So - not the most thrilling walk in the world to be honest, and long stretches can be quite tedious. However, last winter the northern bit was great for short eared owl (cattle egret at Piddinghoe too!). Prime spot is probably around the Rodmell area.

Moonshake said:
Hi Paul, the Ouse Estuary Project is on the left as you pull out of Newhaven towards Seaford on the train. Before you get to Newhaven though is a whole big area of wet fields and ditches, and most of that is on your right hand side, so maybe that's what you're looking at? Public access to that area isn't all that great, there are only really the footpaths along either bank of the river from Lewes to Newhaven (think you need to do some piddling about near Piddinghoe though). There are probably a lot of birds out there, but it is quite a vast area that you mostly can't see! Anyhow, it is good for flocks of lapwing, cormorant roosts on the pylons, the odd peregrine, kingfishers and redshank. So - not the most thrilling walk in the world to be honest, and long stretches can be quite tedious. However, last winter the northern bit was great for short eared owl (cattle egret at Piddinghoe too!). Prime spot is probably around the Rodmell area.

Thanks, the whole area from Lewes to Newhaven looks good, the Ouse is reminiscent of the Arun the way it winds through the fields.

One thing the upper Ouse valley lacks is any consistently flooded areas like Pulborough Brooks, and it doesn't have any extensive reedbed like Arundel WWT either (there is a project at Lewes to develop a small area though - the Railwayland nature reserve). Arun valley is *definitely* more productive for birding if I had to choose!

Moonshake said:
Hi Joanne it might be worth heading west along the beach to the East Pier, cos that's quite a regular spot for purple sandpipers. Other things to watch out for are good-sized greenfinch flocks on the shingle and sometimes the odd black redstart.

In a spot of role-reversal, I was over at the Cuckmere myself on Sunday Impressive amount of great black backed gull though - I'm not someone that generally gets all that excited by gulls but heck, there were loads of the things, cor!!

Hi Nick

Thanks for that info regarding the purple sandpipers, didn't go along the beach but I will next time.

I too am amazed by the sheer numbers of GBBGs at CH, I think someone reported over 1200 there earlier this year but I've never seen that many.

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back