• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TP-95FT filter (1 Viewer)

I suspect "you pay your money and take your choice". I have not experienced any bother with my filter and certainly had no condensate on the inside face of the filter. The difference between the view with and without the filter is not noticeable (to my eyes).

I am content with my approach.

KOWA Objective Protection Filter TP 95 FT

Dear All,

everything said is worth to be considered. I just want to share my experience from a practical point of view. I have this filter in use since I bought the KOWA TSN 883 PROMINAR and it works flawless. Yes, it is expensive but has no negative impact under any light situation and positioning on the image quality (neither visually nor on the image when digiscoping). I use the TE-11 WZ eyepiece. The digiscoping is done with a TSN DA 10 adapter and the MFT PANASONIC LUMIX GX 8 with a PANASONIC LUMIX 20 mm Pancake objective lens.
No hot spots, no reflex issues, no imaging of dust, no spherical aberration etc.

Without this filter I would be much more worried about having to clean the front lens surface of the objective too often.

Contrary, the eyepiece protection glass TSN-CV 88 is not to my like. As good as it is optically, it cannot be changed in height- and therefore is regarded as useless for me. This is a pitty as it is extremely well made mechanically and from its coatings as is the case with all KOWA products.

Thanks

Michael

Last edited:
Hi,
I have just joined the forum because I was considering the purchase of a lens filter. I had one on an old Kowa scope many years ago. That screwed onto the scope lens ring, I can't see how having the filter on the outside of the hood makes any sense at all, particularly for sea-watching, which is usually at its best when the weather is bad!

I remember some years ago sea-watching at St. Ives, with gale force winds blowing in off the sea. After less than 10 minutes the view through my scope was like looking through thickening mist! It was actually a coating of wind blow sea salt building up on the objective lens, and that was with the lens hood fully extended!

I found a solution to this by converting a plastic 2 litre lemonade bottle, with top and bottom cut off, into a hood extender, held on the lens hood with large rubber bands. It is possible to extend this hood at least six to eight inches without impinging on field of view, and I have found it really effective even with rain coming almost straight at you.

It is now a must have item in my sea-watching kit bag, I might get some strange looks at times, but I can often go on scoping when others can't!

Thank you all for this thread, it has saved me from forking out a large sum of money for no good reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back