• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siskins and Redpolls, notable by absence (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
This winter I´ve had only two or three visits by a single redpoll, and no siskins at all, in the garden. This is unusual, normally by mid-February I´d have had regular visits by up to three of each on a daily basis. I´ve a very small garden, but haven´t changed any of my feeding routines or materials. We´ve had a mild winter, though; perhaps they´re well-nourished still in the woods? Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Last year we had a few Siskin (no Redpoll) around our garden, and regularly coming to the feeders, especially around this time. Although since then, all they way up to now, i have never seen a single Siskin or Redpoll anywhere near my garden.

Don't get either in the garden, but usually get both flying over. There have been a few Redpolls this year, but no Siskins whatsoever. Last year was exceptional though in the high numbers of Siskins around. Must be something to do with the mild conditions in Scandinavia this winter.

Mike

The Siskin, from last year, have just arrived this weekend. There was only three (1 male, 2 female), compared to last year's 5 or so, and flew away after only about c5 minutes. At least they have come back, and now we know they may do so for the next February's to come.

i visited a site last weekend which every year has around 200-300 siskins flocking around the area, however this year i only saw 30.

Last year I had 5 Siskin and 4 Redpoll visit regularly until Spring, this year I seem to have about the same number of Redpolls but my Siskin count has gone up from the 4 which first appeared just before Christmas to 10 in the last week or so ~ and visiting daily.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back