• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Icon (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I have a lappy with Win10, but use Classic Shell, as I don't like the W10 screen.

This morning I had a bit of bother when everything went into loooooong think mode. Eventually I managed to get everything shut down and did a Re-start, which took forever then told me it was re-configuring Windows.

When I got going again, I discovered that the icon for one of my little (in constant use) programmes hadn't been included on Start Up. It should be in the area to the right, where the speaker icon is.

So I clicked on the up arrow to show Hidden icons and it wasn't in there.

I double-clicked on the short cut on my desktop but it told me it was already running and to look on my Task Bar. Hmmm... going round in circles.

After trying again a few times. Eventually I shut down completely. And now it is in place. But was there a way round this without having to start up again?

I don't know what adjustments Classic Shell makes but in normal Windows 10 you would...
Right Click on the Taskbar > at the bottom go to Taskbar Settings

Now go down to Notification Area and click on "Select which icons appear on the taskbar". You can then turn on and off the icons.

Windows 10 has just had a big update/upgrade I am guessing that Classicshell is not coping. Classicshell hasn't been in development since 2017.

Thanks Mono.

The PhraseExpress icon is set to On. The problem was that it was 'running' but I couldn't find the icon so I could select a phrase that is a bit complicated to type.

Yeah I know the Classic Shell is old I get a message about it at start up ... but I find W10 just doesn't do it for me. So while I can use CS I'll do so LOL

Restart unfortunately is the usual fix for devices going bad. To be fair, the same is the case for apple products including my ipad.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back