• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Bolivia (1 Viewer)

Just to add, I did e-mail S Hertzog again when I posted the address above, I'll post if I get a reply but I don't expect one.

I ordered mine from Future Generations University back in January, via the website, and had no problem with shipping to Denmark...but it wasn't cheap. Took maybe 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Jens

I ordered mine from Future Generations University back in January, via the website, and had no problem with shipping to Denmark...but it wasn't cheap. Took maybe 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Jens

I actually just went back to that website.

I was able to go through the process and order it this time but, the postage is almost as much as the book at $40 so I think I'll wait until they print them in Europe!

I just checked Buteo, they charge $95 for the book so they're charging $45 postage.

Last edited:
Robert,
I think Andy meant that now he did order from the US, someone would come out with a surprise and cheap announcement of availability in Europe.

Niels

Exactly, sorry if that wasn't clear, seems a long wa y off though with NHBS stating....

'Please note that the initial print run was only available in Bolivia and has proven very hard to export from the country. We believe the publisher is looking into doing a print run overseas with another publisher, but we unfortunately have no further information if and when this will happen.'

Last edited:
Arrived today, only took a week from ordering ut they need lessons in how to pack books. It was in a very thin, bubblewrap envelope and had suffered some minor damage in transit.

Arrived today, only took a week from ordering ut they need lessons in how to pack books. It was in a very thin, bubblewrap envelope and had suffered some minor damage in transit.

Any comments on the book itself? Am thinking of buying it as well, as we hope to bird there at some point. Realizing this is the the only option outside of books that cover much larger areas and would be prohibitive to cart around in the field, there isn't much choice.

Any comments on the book itself? Am thinking of buying it as well, as we hope to bird there at some point. Realizing this is the the only option outside of books that cover much larger areas and would be prohibitive to cart around in the field, there isn't much choice.

It's a very nice book but it's not a standout in any way other than the fact that as you say, it provides coverage of a much more focused area.

Last edited:
I think it’s a fine field guide and contains a wealth of information not available elsewhere, a novel set of art that is generally of excellent quality, and very good range maps.

In my opinion it is among the best of the S America field guides, general quality comparable to the guides to Peru and Chile and the WCS regional guides to the Pantanal and SE Brazil.

The “classic” Colombia and Venezuela guides have terrific art and a wealth of info but are well out of date and never were exhaustively complete. The classic Ecuador guide is amazing except for the art which I find just decent not great. Newer guides to Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela are either quite compact but pretty good, or quite large and authoritative, but with Restall art which I personally don’t find compelling or comparatively very high quality.

So while the Bolivia book might not be perfect, I’d say it is more “excellent” than “just ok” particularly given the state of SA field guides.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back