• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scoter-opolis (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

There were lots of reports yesterday (March 29th) of Common Scoters in small flock-sizes at quite a few inland waters in the UK.

These were too numerous to be coincidental - any thoughts, anyone?

Adey

And of course other 'sea' birds such as Skuas have been noted using a similar overland route.

The fact that so many different groups of Scoters were noted made me think that it was probably 'normal' rather than accidental for them to drop in.

Adey Baker said:
And of course other 'sea' birds such as Skuas have been noted using a similar overland route.
Tell Me more , I've been fascinated by Skuas migrating overland, do they choose the shortest route from coast to coast eg. Bristol Channel to the Wash or just head off in the right direction?
How high do they fly?
All all four species involved?
How many birds are seen inland during migration times?
What's the chance of me seeing some heading inland here (South Devon).

Sorry, that's quite a lot to answer innit!

Gerry,

I don't think overland skua migration is fully understood yet but my take on this would be:

- all four species are known to do it

- they tend to choose places where the overland stretch is as short as possible (e.g the Tyne Gap where the Solway firth is the starting point)

- they fly high as most reports of anything other than singletons are at the start of the overland bit where they are often seen to gain height

- I really don't know about South Devon

Regards,

Stephen.

Talking of 'Scoter-opolis', there's a site in Denmark which is a Special Protection Area . . . because it has 200000 wintering Common Scoter :eek!:

Michael

CBC research

There are a number of short papers in Cambridgeshire Bird Club annual reports over the years on overland skua migration. Lots of research was done watching skuas heading inland from the Wash, presumably towards the Severn. This happened with such regularity and in such numbers that it seems a well-established route. The birds usually pass over Cambs (unfortunately for us birding at Grafham Water!) at a considerable height, though in bad weather they do turn up, and flocks have been observed.

Scoters turn up very regularly at Grafham Water, usually in Spring. Again this appears to be a well-established route from Severn to Wash, although the ducks, unlike skuas, seem to turn up in all sorts of weather. They rarely stay more than a day, presumably moving off over night. My mate Mark Hawkes is currently analysing records of scoters for Cambs to see if there is a pattern.
It is these small flocks which can sometimes contain a Velvet of Surf, so we always await the next party with anticipation!
cheers Jono Leadley

Gerry Hooper said:
Tell Me more , I've been fascinated by Skuas migrating overland, do they choose the shortest route from coast to coast eg. Bristol Channel to the Wash or just head off in the right direction?
How high do they fly?
All all four species involved?
How many birds are seen inland during migration times?
What's the chance of me seeing some heading inland here (South Devon).

Sorry, that's quite a lot to answer innit!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back