• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you heard nocturnal Scoter migration this Autumn?? UK (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
Hi all. Last night I was walking home around midnight when I heard a familiar sound. Back home, in the North West of England, I became quite familiar with it a couple of years back, the calls of the a Common Scoter flock migrating overhead in the dead of night, but this is the first I've heard in down in my new home of Bristol.

I did a bit of research and rediscovered some old articles (Citizen science reveals nocturnal scoter migration routes) and papers about the monitoring of spring scoter migration across the country, but found very little mass data collection on the reverse journey in Autumn.

So I have a couple of questions for you fine folk!

Does anyone know of any resources that I could learn more about autumn Scoter migration in the UK?

And also, has anyone heard migrating Scoter at night recently? Would be really interested to see if anyone else has logged a flock and where!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back