• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

a flock of yellowhammers on the outskirts of the estate this morning, and (I think) a couple of reed buntings and siskins.

Wallington Hall

You hit the nail on the head there Chris, you do need to be lucky. They do still visit the feeding station - i saw one there on two separate visits in December one of them hung around for a good 20 mins or so, the other just passed straight through...

Goes without saying that having not seen one there for a year there was a Red Squirrel at the Hide this morning. Not for long though it was chased off by two of the 6 Grey Squirrels that were trying to pull the feeders down.

On the bird front there was the palest Blue Tit I've ever seen visited the feeders once while I was there. Not like any of the other leucistic birds I've seen in the past

Attachments

Some great birds about today. Stunning adult male black redstart at Blyth. Twites at Cresswell then snow buntings at Blyth on my way home. There seemed to be yellowhammer flocks everywhere I went today.

Had a ride across the border yesterday into Northumberland. Started at Cresswell then headed to Druridge Pools then down to Blyth on the way home.
Loads of Heron at Cresswell chasing each other around the pool. Also Red-breasted Merganser, Dunlin, Wigeon & Shoveler. Flock of Twite as I headed to Druridge Pools. On the pool there was Wigeon, Teal, Pochard and briefly three Pintail (two males & a female). Just before I left four Whooper Swans flew in.
Went down to Blyth for the Snow Bunting (can anyone tell me how to find them) but got a couple of Stonechat instead.

Here are a few shots.

Attachments

• DSC_3476.jpg
    DSC_3476.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_3484.jpg
    DSC_3484.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_3608.jpg
    DSC_3608.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_3621.jpg
    DSC_3621.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 72
A few more from yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC_3736.jpg
    DSC_3736.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_3750.jpg
    DSC_3750.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_3900.jpg
    DSC_3900.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_3979.jpg
    DSC_3979.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 72
Went down to Blyth for the Snow Bunting (can anyone tell me how to find them)

eveRyONe - they are here.

If you walk SW along the road/path from the SE corner of the cemetery, and about half way along look north towards said resting place, they are in there somewhere. Unlike the mixed finch flock that inhabits the hedgerow to your left, they are not always mobile but wait 15/20 minutes or so and they usually lift. Once settled, unless close to the path or you can look up the stubble 'furrows', they can hard to locate imo.

Good luck!

eveRyONe - they are here.

If you walk SW along the road/path from the SE corner of the cemetery, and about half way along look north towards said resting place, they are in there somewhere. Unlike the mixed finch flock that inhabits the hedgerow to your left, they are not always mobile but wait 15/20 minutes or so and they usually lift. Once settled, unless close to the path or you can look up the stubble 'furrows', they can hard to locate imo.

Good luck!

Thanks Gordon. I was near there yesterday (that's where I got the Stonechat) and did not have a clue they were in that area. Oh well I will just have to try again.

Cheers

Ron

Annual visit to the NE this weekend. Hoping to be out from dawn on Saturday whenever that is. Usually start at Linton Lane then Cresswell, Druridge pools, East Chevington, Country Park and Hauxley. Is there anything en route or just off route we could be looking for? For NI birders good ticks would be any owl or woodpeckers, snibs, waxwing, shore lark, Pinkies or bean geese, bittern(?) twite, partridge (I know, we don't have any!), smew, etc. All advice gratefully accepted and looking forward to a dry day, the temperature is incidental!!

Annual visit to the NE this weekend. Hoping to be out from dawn on Saturday whenever that is. Usually start at Linton Lane then Cresswell, Druridge pools, East Chevington, Country Park and Hauxley. Is there anything en route or just off route we could be looking for? For NI birders good ticks would be any owl or woodpeckers, snibs, waxwing, shore lark, Pinkies or bean geese, bittern(?) twite, partridge (I know, we don't have any!), smew, etc. All advice gratefully accepted and looking forward to a dry day, the temperature is incidental!!

Derek

Although incidental, I hope it's warmer than it was today. It was seriously cold at Bamburgh, Budle Bay and Warkworth - it hurt! A large flock of Twite at Stag Rocks was the pick there but you should get some just north of Cresswell. In fact, your itinerary should pick up most of the birds you mention. Recently, there has been a Smew at QE 11 lake and a Bean Goose with 4 White Fronts closeby at Woodhorn. It's a good year for SE Owls and again Cresswell may produce the goods. Not aware of any Shorelarks or Waxwings in the County at the moment. One of us will be able to give you precise directions if you're not sure about QE11 or Woodhorn.

There were a few decent birds in the Druridge area yesterday - redhead smew & scaup at the Country Park, 2 Bewick Swans at Maidens Hall, Jack Snipe in front of hide at Cresswell, and Slavonian Grebe on the North Pool at East Chevington.
I also had a short-eared owl in the field behind Stag Rocks on Tuesday afternoon.

Grey Partridge - quite a few about: I often see them when I'm scanning the edges of fields. Had a nice group of seven in field opposite River Coquet halfway between Amble & Warkworth last week.

Check out the N&TBC sightings page :t:

http://ntbcsightings.posterous.com/

Friend found an injured Common Buzzard and is nursing it back to health. She sounds like a right little character (the bird, not the friend :-O). It may be that in the next fews days, the bandages come off and she may have some wing movement. Full flight is a bit touch and go :C.

Is it right that once veterinary care ceases, DEFRA have to be informed about his possessing the wee lady?

Cheers & Yhanks.

Derek

Although incidental, I hope it's warmer than it was today. It was seriously cold at Bamburgh, Budle Bay and Warkworth - it hurt! A large flock of Twite at Stag Rocks was the pick there but you should get some just north of Cresswell. In fact, your itinerary should pick up most of the birds you mention. Recently, there has been a Smew at QE 11 lake and a Bean Goose with 4 White Fronts closeby at Woodhorn. It's a good year for SE Owls and again Cresswell may produce the goods. Not aware of any Shorelarks or Waxwings in the County at the moment. One of us will be able to give you precise directions if you're not sure about QE11 or Woodhorn.

Cheers, know the area fairly well and I know the QE11 lake and Woodhorn. Last year we got goosander at QE lake and were planning to look for it again this year on our way up, have any been seen there? Again it is a hard bird to get here, we only get a few over-wintering and they are never easy to find.

Goosanders

Much of the still water here (as opposed to the sparkling stuff :-O) is frozen. Goosander are usually regular on the river at Morpeth to the rear of the leisure centre. Here.

Got goosander there a few years ago, on the Sunday with the family so might engineer a walk in Morpeth again this year. They were like mallards and coming to feed on bread, not quite the behaviour I was expecting.

PS I am based in Cramlington and have birded at Arcot - once saw a barn owl there, it flew across the road at Arcot Lane. I usually drive that way but a few years ago I skidded on ice into the ditch at the double bend near the railway, so the wife is prone to say stick to the main road and don't go looking for barn owls!!

Last edited:
PS I am based in Cramlington and have birded at Arcot - once saw a barn owl there, it flew across the road at Arcot Lane. I usually drive that way but a few years ago I skidded on ice into the ditch at the double bend near the railway, so the wife is prone to say stick to the main road and don't go looking for barn owls!!

If you will be in Cramlington and heading to Morpeth, the back road (A192) passes right by Plessey Woods, which is good for a couple of hours. Usually good for dippers and kingfishers, a variety of ducks (including goosander, but not so far this year!), and most woodland birds, woodpeckers, finches, tits, treecreeper, nuthatch. Have also had a grey shrike there in the past, and of it's also a good place for red squirrles, otters and deer.

PS I am based in Cramlington...

You should have said sooner. The back of the new Fire Station is a veritable SEO-fest (well, most nights), that said, none tonight and only one last night. There's been up to 5 this week. I am out loads tomorrow. If I see anything of note, I'll add it here. Several GSWs last weekend and a Greeny too!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back